Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Harvey

• Start Topic

I am not enjoying the show, I think they are playing the series to straight, they should have gone for something a little light-hearted and funnier. I am not liking the lady doctor love interest or his mom trapped in the house as a continuing plot.

• Love 1

I would also like a bit more humor in the show.  The opening scene of this episode was almost too intense for me.  I think that the "quirks" of the office staff is supposed to bring humor to the show, it's not enough for me (and "quirks" often seem way too contrived to me to be 'realistic quirks').

They are not showing it at 7 tonight☹️ Possibly because Legends of Tomorrow is also not on. 

If they show it once at 7 pm on Sunday, then they should keep it up. I shall send them a sharply worded email.

(edited)

I think the bits of humor that were in the first episode were missing in this one.  Pity. 

Also, are we supposed to like Susan?  Because I don't.  Even bringing in her mom to try to humanize her didn't work.  I hate when a new person comes into a group with ways to make things "better", which basically means, do things my way, even if nothing was "broke" to begin with.  Watch how things are done and gradually add suggestions.  Having her back off later and "give me your notes if you have a chance, or don't, your decision, they're your notes...."  just seemed so condescending.  I don't know why the head guy seems so enthralled with her.  "You talk to the parents while I tackle this super-evil creature from the underworld" and later "Susan is a superstar!"  ...Because she kept the parents from calling the cops or going upstairs. Yes, apparently she's the top sales person in the world (who had to quit her previous job because her boss wouldn't leave his wife for her), but maybe second-best sales person would be more likable.

I did like the plot and will continue watching for now.  BTW, is that creature in that machine now, or destroyed?  I hope they're keeping track of where all the monsters are hidden.  We have one trapped in a basement and another in a coffee pot.  Write all that down before we accidentally let everything loose.

Does the boss (can't think of his name) have enough money to buy the house his Mom is in?  I'm surprised that wasn't at least addressed.

Added:

Hated that when boss-man was back at the other house they were trying to sell, Susan automatically assumes it's because he has a crush on the owner.  Again, condescending.  Maybe he's there doing his job?

I do like the names they give things, like "the Harvey".  They're fun.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 4

I liked this episode, although I agree with @Johann that the humour was missing.

I'm ambivalent on Susan. I know she's the audience surrogate so we can get the little exposition bits every episode relevant to whichever spooky we're dealing with every week, but dang Luke, maybe you really should prioritise the orientation a little more. Susan's job is to sell the house. If you tell her to not to do the things she needs to do to sell the house, but don't tell her why, then...what good is she? Either give her the information she needs or sell the damn house yourself. 

On 7/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Johann said:

I hate when a new person comes into a group with ways to make things "better", which basically means, do things my way, even if nothing was "broke" to begin with.  Watch how things are done and gradually add suggestions. 

Totally agree. The business was successful way before you got there, Susan! They must be doing something right. 

I like Luke in ghostbusting mode. He seemed more...real? Maybe because he showed some real emotion, rather than being exposition guy. I didn't mind Susan teasing him about having a crush on Megan because he very clearly does. I don't think it will end well for him there, because I feel like there's more to Megan than just her being the house's owner. 

• Love 3