Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: A Tiffany

• Start Topic

Raelle prepares to show her ability to the top brass, while Abigail struggles with her new role. Tally begins to question her unsettling dreams. Anacostia and Scylla form a plan to infiltrate the enemy further.

Original air date: July 6, 2021

I've been enjoying this season's episodes, but I feel like they've mostly been setup. Looks like next week we'll get some more action.

I don't trust the Mycelium. Colonizing someone's vocal folds is creepy as hell. Why choose Raelle? Why is no one concerned about the mushrooms spreading everywhere? Was this thing originally contained in a hidden room for a reason?

I'm glad Tally seems to be getting over her Alder hero worship with each new memory. I hope she really starts to dig into the identity of the redacted soldier. She's gotta have something to do with the Spree's origins, right?

Abigail is my favorite of the trio and I really want her to get a win soon! It looks like she has a real talent for weather magic, but spitting out blood is, uh... concerning. I liked seeing her stand up to the Imperatrix. Season one Abigail was much more concerned with her family legacy and propriety, and I feel like she never would have skipped an important function or wanted to choose an outsider as a partner rather than someone from an almost equally-important family. I like her character development.

I also like Scylla and Anacostia's dynamic... Scylla is the bratty little sister who think she knows better than her more experienced older sister, who has to show up at the last moment to save her ass. Their storyline is moving slowly, but I'm interested. (As a side note, the actress playing Bonnie is doing a great job as the meek, jumpy wife of a (likely) volatile husband. It just rings really true.)

I wish The Spree had been presented as more grey instead of as an organization that mass-murders innocent people. I guess maybe then it would have been too easy for us to be on their side. I mean, who are you going to root for, an army that forcibly conscripts people, kills draft dodgers, chooses your mate for you, forces you to mate whether you want to or not, and is overly concerned with bloodline purity... or the people fighting against that? I'd obviously say the latter... but not if they're mass-murdering civilians.

(Ah, Eliot Laurence clarifies that nobody forces anyone to have children if they don't want to, but it's "encouraged." That's better, but my point still stands. I am not a Witch Army fan.)

• Love 2

No way should the word "colonize" be used to describe anything involving an internal organ. That is just too gross to even contemplate, right up there with the Camarilla using witches lungs as weapons. Icky. 

Sorry show, still don't feel sympathy for Scylla and her Spree buddies. The Camarilla are awful too, and the witch army and their forced conscription and arranged marriages are seriously messed up, but that doesn't mean the Spree are any less evil. Not only have they brutally slaughtered countless innocent people and soldiers trying to stop them to make some kind of political point, but they have helped turn public opinion against witches, which has helped the Camarilla gain traction among the common folk, making everything worse for everyone. I am not going to root for these horrible people just because they are currently fighting against a different group of horrible people, and I don't like that the show seems to be manipulating me into thinking that The Spree is the "lesser of two or three evils" when really there is room for me to hate all of these factions of assholes. They are going to have to do a whole lot more to make me like Scylla then show her looking a bit sad at a memorial, reminding us that she really did like Raelle, and giving her an odd couple dynamic with Anacostia. Anacostia is the main reason I even like this subplot at all, they aren't doing much yet to make me root for Scylla. The actresses do have good chemistry at least. 

Tally is getting more and more flashbacks of whatever Alder was covering up, although she cant be that surprised that Alder is up to sketchy stuff, even after she had that psychic link to her. I don't think that Alder is exactly a villain, I think she really does think that everything she does is for the greater good, but she has obviously engaged in a lot of action that are morally dubious at best. This week is also the second time she has messed with the presidents mind to get her way, you would think that someone would have noticed that by now and done something about it. I am interested in how the vice presidents daughter and her bond with Tally with fit into the story, I like their scenes together so far. Tally talking about why she joined the army even when she had a get out of jail free card was a nice moment. 

Abigail has mostly had her story being about her romance with Adil and losing her Bellweather arrogance, both of which I have liked a lot, but I am glad that they also seem to heading towards her gaining more power, possibly mastering her ancestors super weather abilities. I know that Adil not only isn't in the military, but is also mostly a pacifist, but you would think that they might be open to adding some of his rare magic to the bloodline. 

• Love 2

There isn't a group that isn't reprehensible on this show, the government, the army, the spree, the camarilla, & for sure not whatever group that woman who arranges marriages is from. I'm not rooting for anyone, & if they want me to keep watching they better make somebody worth it.

• Love 1

Okay, I'm confused. 

Witches are the only ones who can breed more witches. So why are so many used as "war meat?" Tally lost so many relatives, her bloodline was almost extinguished, and yet, they're sent to die in massive number in war. 

You'd think they'd make them pop out kids and can still have them serve in the field in their 30s. 

8 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

Okay, I'm confused. 

Witches are the only ones who can breed more witches. So why are so many used as "war meat?" Tally lost so many relatives, her bloodline was almost extinguished, and yet, they're sent to die in massive number in war. 

You'd think they'd make them pop out kids and can still have them serve in the field in their 30s. 

I think they have them pop out a few kids early and then they can spend the rest of their lives in the military fighting other witches.