Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: No Opp Left Behind

• Start Topic

As Spencer's high school football career is coming to an end, he starts to imagine what his future might look like. Jordan grows concerned about his football future and Asher gets upset when he discovers that Montes has been keeping something from him. Grace tries to have a nice evening after learning some good new, but Dillon finds a way to mess it up. Meanwhile, the group holds a Friendsgiving at Layla's but not everyone seems to receive a friendly welcome.

Airdate: 06/28/2021

I didn't have any trouble remembering to watch this one, though I might purposely wait on next week's episode.  I don't care what they try to do with the previews to make it look like it's a regular episode:  "See, there's Spencer and Jordan!"  Those are probably the only shots there will be of them the whole episode.  With most backdoor pilots, it's usually a case of "Who are all these people, and why the hell am I supposed to care about them?"

I don't really understand the playoff format they have on this show.  It would make more sense for South Crenshaw and Beverly to be playing their semi-final games on the same night, or at least the same weekend.  It seemed like there was quite the gap in between.  Coach Montes thinks that SC wouldn't know how to prepare for J.J. as opposed to Jordan, but wouldn't they have some scouting on J.J. for as long as he's been playing now?  Maybe she just means in general because he's less conventional.  It was nice for J.J. to finally be in another episode to lighten things up with his antics.  Jordan looked so sad/disgusted at the end that J.J. was partying and doesn't take it that seriously, so even though Jordan seemed to be trying to pick up a friend and help the team with his advice at halftime, now it seems like he only did it because he thought he'd get another chance to play.  If Jordan is healthy and schools were interested in him, he'd probably still get a chance somewhere even if he doesn't play in the championship (as if he really won't).  I can't remember what level the school where Mr. Montes coaches is, because if they're D1, I still can't buy them being that into Asher.  I liked it when Montes told off Asher after his outburst, she's right that she puts up with a lot even though she generally is quite supportive of him.

When Grace spoke to Dillon about being bratty and disrespectful, I was surprised she went with a generic "I need to have a life and am going to date" speech instead of talking about Carter specifically and why she likes him (though maybe that's just because Dillon had annoyed her so much).  Dillon I don't think ever had a problem with her last boyfriend (Micah?) and probably dislikes Carter because he has made things so hard for Spencer and the team.  That will probably change though, even if they don't win, unless it carries over to next season.

I'm glad Spencer and Coop are friends again, and I can see why he and Olivia don't want to rock the boat with her or Layla.  But that means very annoying characters are getting away with a lot.  I nominated Mo for worst villain in the early rounds of the Primetimer awards, but that's only because Carrie hadn't popped up yet back then.  I have to yell at her stereotypical psycho ass to shut up pretty much every time she talks now.  And I'm still not convinced the little girl is Preach's daughter.  I thought I saw her and Mo exchange knowing looks at one point.  These will all probably end up in some horrible cliffhangers in a few weeks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

And I'm still not convinced the little girl is Preach's daughter.  I thought I saw her and Mo exchange knowing looks at one point.  These will all probably end up in some horrible cliffhangers in a few weeks.

You are correct! In the scene in the cafe, Mo winked at the little girl before she hugged preach. 

The entire Mo storyline has been such a weird and non consistent add on. Whatever the hell she’s planning on doing should have been over and done with by now, yet the writers have drug it out for the entire season. 

• Love 3

Wait.  Why would Coop need to apologize?  Coop never needs to apologize for ANYTHING.  Spencer was the one who blamed her for him getting shot.

Patience looked beyond fantastic at the party.  She’s always beautiful but her hair was fabulous and she can rock a pair of bell bottoms like no one’s business.  Layla looked really pretty too.

Droopy Dawg Asher needs to get gone.  Montes should have told him to get bent, not made sure her husband saw his teeny-tiny ass play.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I love this show so big and they haven’t had many missteps, but the wedding plot is so dumb.  Jordan and Simone don’t even really act like they *like* each other.  

• Love 2
On 6/29/2021 at 5:56 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I don't really understand the playoff format they have on this show.  It would make more sense for South Crenshaw and Beverly to be playing their semi-final games on the same night, or at least the same weekend.  It seemed like there was quite the gap in between.  Coach Montes thinks that SC wouldn't know how to prepare for J.J. as opposed to Jordan, but wouldn't they have some scouting on J.J. for as long as he's been playing now? 

Both schools were talking about Homecoming coming up in the future, but they’re about to okay their state championship game. 

I feel Jordan’s pain, but he should know he couldn’t just hop back into the lineup if JK was playing well. 

On 6/29/2021 at 5:56 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm glad Spencer and Coop are friends again, and I can see why he and Olivia don't want to rock the boat with her or Layla.  But that means very annoying characters are getting away with a lot.  I nominated Mo for worst villain in the early rounds of the Primetimer awards, but that's only because Carrie hadn't popped up yet back then.  I have to yell at her stereotypical psycho ass to shut up pretty much every time she talks now.  And I'm still not convinced the little girl is Preach's daughter.  I thought I saw her and Mo exchange knowing looks at one point.  These will all probably end up in some horrible cliffhangers in a few weeks

Yes, the Preach/Mo/secret daughter plot is a little…uninteresting to me. I just don’t want Coop to go on tour without Layla. I just know Preach would screw everything up. 

And the low-rent Jennette McCurdy can leave anytime. Of course she won’t, though. She’s got crazy eyes now. 

On 7/1/2021 at 7:03 AM, mojoween said:

I love this show so big and they haven’t had many missteps, but the wedding plot is so dumb.  Jordan and Simone don’t even really act like they *like* each other.  

Yes, that plot is a bit silly. But I’m glad Jordan’s parents agreed to come to the wedding. 

—not enough Billy and Laura this week. 

• Love 1