Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Sincerely, Rahim

• Start Topic

(edited)

Hopefully this is a real turning point for Isabel, and she doesn't go right back to wringing her hands about Victor being gay right away. 

So now Victor is the Simon to another gay kid struggling to come out. Its like a whole LGBTQ advice cycle! 

Everything with Felix and his mom is so sad and frustrating. It sucks that this is apparently what breaks them up. Its too bad that things have gotten so bad that he and his mom have been separated for now, but Lake wasn't wrong that Felix needs an actual adult in his life who is capable of being a parent if his mom refuses to get help. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Nice to see Isabel finally trying. I hope we are not heading into Victor and Benji having problems because Benji is not over the moon with Isabel's baby steps. I have not been totally impressed with Benji before, but I was more on his side this episode, Victor shouldn't get his hopes too high up yet.

I was sad for Felix in the end, but I am more sad for Lake. Lake was 100% right and Felix broke up with her because he perceives medical help as "taking his mother away". His mother needs medical assistance. Felix likes to pretend that her case is more like a temporary mood instead of an illness.

Benji is a bit harsh, but he is also right. Isabel is not trying. She is lying to herself. And she is nice to Rahim because it is easier for her to play accepting when it is not her own son. Victor said it perfectly about her mindset: she does not tell Adrian because she thinks of it as something bad.

• Love 2

This show is giving me ALL the precious feels. Rahim working at the pretzel shop with Pilar was a good way to bring in another character. 

Isabel is more comfortable with Rahim because he’s not her son. Also- I could be wrong, but she’s more comfortable with him because he more fits the stereotypes of what she expects a young gay man to be like. He likes some of the things she likes. She doesn’t have to question her biases or prejudices with him because he “stays in his lane” quote unquote. It reminds me of racist people who are perfectly nice and respectful to people of other ethnic groups who are in subservient roles, but would pitch a fit if they had to treat that same person well in a “peer” relationship. 

I forgot that Adrian didn’t know about Victor being gay. 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:12 AM, Harvey said:

Victor said it perfectly about her mindset: she does not tell Adrian because she thinks of it as something bad.

Yup- she didn’t have a problem with Adrian knowing about Mia. He’s a 6 (maybe 7 now) kid- how would it be different if Victor had a boyfriend compared to a girlfriend. 

Felix has been a wonderful son, and a great friend. But his Mom is sick and it’s not his job to be her caregiver right now and handle all of the adult stuff alone. It’s not as if she broke her foot and needed temporary help around the house but wasn’t burdening him with how to get the rent paid. 

“promising not to tell anyone” is fine about your feelings and private thoughts- but not about the living conditions and mental well being of your caregiver when you’re a kid. I am glad Lake’s mom went to take a look and see what was what. 

I know Lake feels awful, but it’s not her fault. She did the right thing. For Felix’s mom to go to the station like she did and act out just shows how ill she was. 

Good god poor Felix I am gonna cry. He’s such a sweet boy. Truth time, when Felix cried I cried!

• Love 1