Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Tournament of Tofu

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

The beancurd roll is one of my favorite dim sum dishes!

as I've never had (or even seen) this-- what is it like? what is the starting tofu ingredient?

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

as I've never had (or even seen) this-- what is it like? what is the starting tofu ingredient?

The tofu skin is a byproduct of making the tofu and it forms on top of the curds. It can be steamed or fried which causes different textures, I find it to be like a softer slightly sweeter dumpling skins with a rougher texture. Pork and mushrooms are a common filling.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The tofu skin is a byproduct of making the tofu and it forms on top of the curds. It can be steamed or fried which causes different textures, I find it to be like a softer slightly sweeter dumpling skins with a rougher texture. Pork and mushrooms are a common filling.

This piece includes a video that shows the tofu-making process at Hodo, a Bay Area company, including the production of yuba (tofu skin), which they sell in its fresh form. It’s also sold dried, and is then rehydrated before cooking. 

• Love 1