Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Chapter 18 - You Only Give Me Your Funny Paper

Not as sad or funny as the season opener, IMO.

The episode title, “You only give me your funny paper,” is the second line of the Beatles song, “You Never Give Me Your Money” (metrolyrics.com/you-never-give-me-your-money-lyrics-beatles.html).

I like how the episode plot could have been an alternate backstory for the writing of the song  (see real backstory of the song lyrics that make up the title of the episode: wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Never_Give_Me_Your_Money).

I thought this episode was better than the first, and I think Kathleen Turner has a lot to do with that. I kind of understand Mindy’s conflicted feelings but I felt she was especially harsh with Martin. Sandy did a great job of opening the door to her doubts and insecurities in that relationship. 

I’m not nuts about the “fighting the terms of the will” plot line, partly because it’s kind of predictable, and partly because even though it provides an opportunity to make fun of Scientology and its members, I still loathe that organization and would prefer to not give it any oxygen.

3 hours ago, Maysie said:

I’m not nuts about the “fighting the terms of the will” plot line, partly because it’s kind of predictable, and partly because even though it provides an opportunity to make fun of Scientology and its members, I still loathe that organization and would prefer to not give it any oxygen.

While most of us will never have millions to contest, it does seem realistic to show families expressing their loss through squabbles over the inheritance e.g.: "I want this thing that grandma wore!"). Since Norman was a source of funds to his daughter and grandson, it makes even more sense to me that they'd fight and scheme over money. 
And then Martin and Mindy (as well as Roz) where the vehicles through which Sandy's own loss played out, although, really, Phoebe and Robby's finagling to get their share of the inheritance was also about Sandy's sense of loss.

The Scientology bit is an odd choice. I'm guessing it was selected to represent any fanaticism that a grandchild might become immersed in, and, since it's not a religion that many viewers would have grandchildren or children joining, and it's not a political party, it is almost a made-up religion for the purposes of the plot. 

(edited)

I thought I was going to miss Arkin, but as of this episode I'm more invested in the show than I ever was before. The problems of the estate (and the responsibilities falling upon Kominsky) are higher stakes than anything I remember happening before, and also more relatable. (Even though few people have ever had to worry about that much money.)

One thing I really don't understand is why the actress who got a role as a series-regular gives a shit about the other students in the class.

Edited by Milburn Stone
10 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

One thing I really don't understand is why the actress who got a role as a series-regular gives a shit about the other students in the class.

Not sure who you mean?

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Not sure who you mean?

I don't remember her name. Gloria? Anyway, she got a regular role in the remake of Quincy (with a non-binary Morgan Freeman in the title role), and knew all her fellow students would hate her for it, and they do. It's why she cares that baffles me.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I don't remember her name. Gloria? Anyway, she got a regular role in the remake of Quincy (with a non-binary Morgan Freeman in the title role), and knew all her fellow students would hate her for it, and they do. It's why she cares that baffles me.

Oohhh! Her! (LOL I don’t remember the character’s name either.)   
ETA: Margaret (Melissa Tang)

I didn’t question it, but now I think it would only matter if she really felt she needed to continue that class. And maybe she does want to continue if it’s helping her with her craft. 
And in that class, the other actors have to want to work with her.

It’s probably how it works with actors in real life too? IDK. 

Edited by shapeshifter