Type keyword(s) to search

Last Night in Soho (2021)

• Start Topic

Wright's movies haven't historically been known for memorable female roles (other than Scott Pilgrim, which was an adaptation), so it's refreshing for him to do an outright woman-centric movie.

The pandemic delay has probably also played to the movie's advantage since ATJ became way more famous in the intervening time.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Wright's movies haven't historically been known for memorable female roles (other than Scott Pilgrim, which was an adaptation), so it's refreshing for him to do an outright woman-centric movie.

The pandemic delay has probably also played to the movie's advantage since ATJ became way more famous in the intervening time.

Jessie Mei Li's profile has been upped as well, thanks to Shadow and Bone.

I liked it on the whole, but it's Wright's most flawed movie. It's most successful in the early going as an Eloise character piece with stylish dream sequences; the horror elements that become increasingly prominent in the second half aren't nearly as compelling, and end up being kind of incoherent once you start thinking about them. I don't think the ending quite manages the pathos it's aiming for with Sandie's character.

McKenzie is great in the lead part. ATJ isn't really given a lot to do other than look absolutely stunning and audition for future musical roles, but she does both of those things very well.

• Love 1

I found it really compelling.   I look forward to watching it again in the future knowing what the outcome will be because it will recontextualize some scenes. The murder of Jack was justified.  The other murders were going too far.   I did sympathize with Sandy’s trauma.  I hope Mackenzie gets an Oscar nomination.   

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 2

I did like the "hiding in plain sight of it all" with Alexandra/Sandie. I also called Sam Claflin/Superman Villain dude being the same person because of Sam wearing blue contact lenses. (Yet they didn't try to match Miss Collins with Sandie's very deep brown eyes.) I kind of felt like the ending borrowed from Ma and The Haunting in Connecticut.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2021 at 12:59 AM, SeanC said:

I don't think the ending quite manages the pathos it's aiming for with Sandie's character.

McKenzie is great in the lead part. ATJ isn't really given a lot to do other than look absolutely stunning and audition for future musical roles, but she does both of those things very well.

I get where they were going for, but yeah, because Sandie is purposefully kept as such a blank slate/enigma, you can 't really summon that level of pathos because Sandie was never really developed as a character. I would have loved something like a scene where you see Sandie brightly telling her family how much she loves London, as a parallel to what's going on with Ellie.

I also really, really wanted to see Ellie's classmate get her comeuppance, but that never happened and it annoyed me.

McKenzie is fantastic and I can't wait to see what else she does. I'd kill for her to take on a proper slasher film.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2021 at 10:59 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I also really, really wanted to see Ellie's classmate get her comeuppance, but that never happened and it annoyed me.

I don't know, I think nearly getting stabbed in the face by a person in a fugue state would be plenty traumatic to a young college girl. At minimum, I doubt she'll ever try to mess with Ellie again.

• LOL 1

I was seriously blown away by the twist. They totally reeled me in. When Ellie was in the library, I was looking at the news headlines, I didn't put 2 and 2 together. 

I thought the 'no men after 8' was a clue that "Mrs. Collins" knew something about Sandie, and I thought it had something to do with her knowing "Lindsay", but I was way way off.

I am glad Ellie was able to be successful, but seeing Sandie in the mirror at the end was still creepy. 

Just watched this last night, and I loved it! I didn't see the twist coming, even though it makes you think after the fact, "Well, I should have figured it out!" I thought Eloise was really pretty at the beginning, but she was absolutely gorgeous after her transformation, way more beautiful than Sandie.

• Like 1

I don't know. The only thing that stuck with me was 'no men after 8.' But I don't think it was obvious. I don't think the show cheated either, but they played it tight. 

I think they weren't as fair with Lindsay, but it's fine. I would have just liked if he said his name in the past in that brief scene. 

• Like 1