Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E11 Election Day

AgentRXS
  • Start Topic

As Election Day 2032 approaches, Dwayne reflects on the ups and downs his family endured during his childhood in Hawaii, Pennsylvania and Miami, and how the unpredictability of his family's story prepared him for this moment.

Original Air Date: May 4, 2021

Since this was the season finale, I figured we were going to get all three variations of Dwayne/Dewey/Young Rock again.  Looks like they've set things up for next season with kid Dwayne adjusting to Rocky being on the road now, teenage Dwayne getting into the University of Miami, and college Dwayne not making the NFL draft but going into the Canadian football league instead (which, naturally, they portrayed like it was a snowy arctic wasteland!  To be fair, it probably would feel that way for someone who grew up in Hawaii and Miami!)  Of the three, I'm curious to see how they'll keep the middle story going (assuming they will), without it feeling like they're retreading back into the college years this season.

Looks like they're keeping the election results a mystery for now, although Dwayne is currently polling ahead of Taft (but by only 4%.)  I feel like Dwayne winning would work from a structure standpoint (him as President would lead to plenty of interviews, press conferences, and other situations that can lead to him diving back into his storytelling), but I guess it could go either way.

Randall has four chickens, naturally.  Other than Dwayne's stuff, I really want to know about all the crazy shit Randall is up to and how this former comedian/actor has become the journalist he is now!

The scene with the real life Dwayne and Ata was nice.

Glad the show is coming back.  While it didn't break any comedic barriers, I thought it was very charming on a lot of levels.  Loved all the wrestling stuff (and the wrestlers themselves!), the actors were great, and I'm curious to see how the rest of Dwayne's life ends up being portrayed here: especially his early wrestling career (bring on Flex Kavana!)  Hope the wait isn't too long!

• Love 12
On 5/5/2021 at 9:54 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Canadian football league instead (which, naturally, they portrayed like it was a snowy arctic wasteland!  To be fair, it probably would feel that way for someone who grew up in Hawaii and Miami!) 

It would be really funny if we kept seeing Canada as this frozen tundra in a perpetual blizzard whenever Dwayne is telling the story, but then later someone will comment on how it was actually 75 and sunny and he just remembers it being the coldest winter ever every day. It just feels like its always freezing from Dwayne's perspective as someone who grew up in Hawaii/Florida. Like someone else is telling a story about Dwayne in Canada and after he imagines it this freezing blizzard, the other person remembers everyone in shorts and tee shirts with the sun shining, except for Dwayne who is still in a parka. 

I figured we would get all three stories, being the season finale, and all three stories are moving forward. Kid Dewy is dealing with Rocky traveling more, teen Dwayne going to college, and college Dwayne joining the Canadian football league. I am curious as to where the middle story will go, as the third story has already finished college, but I bet they can find something for teen Dwayne to get up to. I also liked how they had brief cameos from a lot of the supporting characters in each timeline, especially if we wont be seeing some of them as much in future seasons. 

Nice last scene with real Ata and Dwayne. I guess they are keeping him winning or losing the election a secret until next season, it could go either way really. Structurally him being president could lead to a lot more speeches, so he can keep narrating, but they could probably find another framing device if he lost as well. I hope that no matter what they decide on doing they keep Randall around though, he is my favorite part of the future scenes. I want to know more about his chickens. Either way, I am glad the show has been renewed, I find it to be very sweet and charming. The old school wrestling references are fun, the actors are all great, and it has a very warm feel to it, even when things get tough. Dwayne sure has lived an interesting life, no wonder he decided to make a show about it, complete with multiple timelines. 

• Love 7

Since the stories are not linear I am thinking that Miami Dewey gets to the WWF but still circles back for those college stories as does teen Dewey stay for the high school years, assuming his growth remains in check.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am curious as to where the middle story will go, as the third story has already finished college, but I bet they can find something for teen Dwayne to get up to.

The middle Dewey is a lot smaller than the Dewey who just moved to Calgary, so they could probably do a lot of college stories that don't revolve around football right? Like the college football season in the US is only half the school year isn't it? And there weren't really any dating stories while he was in Miami.

Also is the picture that the Wild Samoans took of Rocky holding young Dewey a real picture? I feel like I have seen it before but it is hard to search for without getting images from the show.

I also loved the Shiek's line about how the recipes were ones he stole from his enemies.