Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Book of Ruin: Chapter Three: Things Fall Apart

• Start Topic

The FBI pays Jefferson a visit. Meanwhile, Anissa surprises Grace.

The episode was written by Andre Edmonds and directed by Bille Woodruff.

Airdate: 4/19/2021

black-lightning-4x08-1-1264546.jpg

Edited by Trini

After last week's backdoor pilot, everything is back to normal!  Which means... the Pierce family (and friends) continue to not be able to catch a break.

I guess I understand the logic of Tobias trying to ruin Jefferson's image by making it look like he embezzled funds from the school, but it's kind of thrown together in a way that I find it hard to believe that most everyone in Freeland seems to be falling for it.  Some, yes, but I feel like we would be seeing more doubters and support for Jefferson in the public/television.  But right now, we're only hearing from the ones who are buying what Tobias is selling, hook, line, and sinker.  Maybe it will get better the more it goes on, but right now I feel underwhelmed.  Granted, most of my problem is that while I think Tobias is effective enough as a harden, fights his way to the top villain, I don't buy him being able to fool people the way he is now.  I feel like the show is trying to make their own version of Lex Luthor, but he lacks the charisma and presence to make me believe he could pull off a "man of the people" act.

This Ishmael guy certainly is proven himself to at least be big a major threat on a fighting level.  Pretty much had both Anissa and Grace on the ropes for the entire fight, and only had to bail once Grace took on her leopard form.  But Anissa is clearly gunning for another round, and Grace is going to be right there with her!

Continuing to actually be intrigued with New Jen/JJ.  Liked that we got another scene between her and Grace.  But judging from whatever was freaking Lynn out on the monitor, I'm guessing a big shoe is going to drop soon.

Every time Gambi is with Lauren, I keep waiting for her to finally find out he is using her to get information/keep the Pierce family safe.

Wherever it is hacking skills or being a bro for JJ, TC always comes through!  And it looks like he's actually working with Khalil with trying to fix his Painkiller problem.  Cool seeing Philky again as well. 

• Love 2

Now we leave our backdoor pilot to return to our regularly scheduled program, with a brief hello from Khalil and company, where things are going pretty bad for the Pierces. I know that Tobias is the big bad, but he is getting a bit ridiculous in how he can just do anything always. I certainly don't buy that everyone in Freeland immediately takes the word of the known criminal over Jefferson, who has been a pillar of the community for years. I guess there are probably still people that believe in him, we are just seeing people that are buying what Whale's selling, but don't we have enough going on? 

Ishmael seems like a cool bad guy, he is certainly a threat when it comes to fighting. Plus, you know he gets a lot of joy out of introducing himself every day. "You can call me... Ishmael." *Everyone rolls eyes behind his back.* 

I like new Jen, the actress really has done a good job of copying original Jen's body language while also doing her own thing, but there still seems to be something up with her. Lynn certainly looked freaked out by whatever she found. Is it possible that this is actually a Jen from another Earth that ended up here due to some Crisis shenanigans? I know most people always look just like themselves when it comes to their counterparts on other Earths, but maybe not?  

• Love 3

So if Lynn can weaponize this nullifying power, that should help with eventually stopping Tobias, right? Trying to think positive here.

The Pierces still need a win, but I'm happy that there wasn't really any interpersonal family drama here, they've got enough problems coming at them from outside. I'm glad Jefferson apologized to Lynn. And that the Anissa/Jen relationship continues to be a highlight despite the actress change.

They use TC mostly for plot, but him and Jen were hilarious in the school scenes.

Yeah, it does seem like they're making Tobias into a Lex Luthor type; and he's getting pretty close to mustache-twirling (if he isn't already there).

At least Gambi is making progress with his schemes. Although I feel bad he's using MonaVista Lady, because I was actually rooting for them.

Hmm- Monavista is also involved with advanced medical procedures? Could be an interesting twist; also a good way to involve Anissa and her actual profession.

With the way they ignored Khalil up until the entire episode dedicated to him, I was not expecting to see him again so soon! So Anissa, Grace, and TC know where he is, etc.; I wonder if Gambi knows? Him meeting NewJen should be interesting.

Speaking of, I think they need a better story as to why/how Jen has disappeared off the planet. (Although, it probably doesn't matter in the long run, since the show is ending :( )

"Thing Fall Apart"? Isn't that an apt title for ANY episode?

Honestly, I'm amazed Jefferson didn't crack up and laugh when the feds came to his door. "Hey, guys! Get a load of this! Apparently, somebody called in a tip that I was embezzling from Garfield High!" Cue family and friends howling in laughter. "Oh, my God. I'm taking money from the high school? What money is in the high school? Maybe if it gets blown up, I can salvage as much copper wiring as I can!"

Of course, Tobias is behind the dime-drop, and he continues to be a complete and total asshole. He'll cut you, then he'll dump the entire shaker of salt into the wound. "Oh, that wasn't the iodine? Silly me! Iodine isn't salt and grainy! Seriously, though, watching you burn gets me off."

Seriously not getting how the new bad guy is named "Ishmael." Wasn't that the name of one of the crew that hunted Moby Dick? I'd get if he was "Plankton" because they get food from whales. Oh, and anyone else amused by Grace in leopard mode swatting Ismael on the head?

4 minutes ago, Trini said:

Yeah, it does seem like they're making Tobias into a Lex Luthor type; and he's getting pretty close to mustache-twirling (if he isn't already there).

Is "beard-twirling" a thing? Part of me would want Tobias to get exported elsewhere in the Arrowverse, if only to clown on all the people wearing costumes.

I know why they aren't doing it on the show for production reasons, but it seems to me that Jen could always use Gambi's image inducer thing to keep her "real" face long enough to at least finish out high school.