Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: The Geezer Bus and a New Model for Education

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 4/10/2021 at 3:00 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

And I would not mind at all if she were towering over Sheldon. I am 1.5 years younger than my brother. I was 3 inches taller than he was until he was about 16 years old.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, ams1001 said:

I wonder how tall JP was at 12.... One of my college roommates is 6 feet tall, but she once said she wasn't significantly taller than her peers when she was younger, and started getting taller around middle school. And girls usually hit their growth spurt earlier (says the girl who was the shortest kid in her class for most of elementary school, and "shot up" a whole two inches between 12 and 16 to hit an adult height that can best be described as "decidedly average"). So Missy being taller than Sheldon at this point would not be unexpected.

They could lampshade it by having Sheldon point out to someone that it is normal for girls to get their growth spurts earlier than boys due to hormonal differences.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:26 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Why is it such a big deal if Missy is taller than Sheldon? They're not identical twins

On 4/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, Katy M said:

And in reality ,she's only about 6 months older than him, so if she's taller than him, she's taller than him. the only reason it's kind of weird is because Jim Parsons is tall.

I think that's the issue. In BBT, Sheldon is generally the tallest in the room. Young Sheldon won't be as reminiscent of BBT Sheldon if he's the shortest by a lot.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They could lampshade it by having Sheldon point out to someone that it is normal for girls to get their growth spurts earlier than boys due to hormonal differences.

I think that's the issue. In BBT, Sheldon is generally the tallest in the room. Young Sheldon won't be as reminiscent of BBT Sheldon if he's the shortest by a lot.

Girls almost always have their growth spurt ages 11-15...then it's generally over. My daughter was 5'7" at 14...and there she remains...My son (3 years younger) was 5'1" going into 8th grade...by the time he started high school 12 months later HE was 5'7"...she was appalled...and, of course, he kept growing. In BBT Missy is a tall woman, so it figures that 1991 would be a time of serious growth for her. Sheldon will catch up...My #1 grandson was also 5'7" at 14...at 16 he is 6'1" with no signs of stopping...I'm thinking we have 3-4 inches to go...

• Love 3

One of my younger brothers (I have 6) was just about the shortest boy in the 8th grade graduation lineup.  He started to really grow that summer.  Because you wore mostly shorts, swimsuits and sneakers during the summer, my mom didn’t realize how much he had grown until she had to buy school clothes in late summer.  He needed school shoes that were a full 2 sizes bigger than the ones he wore in June.  He finally grew to about 6’1”.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Since we already know that Missy has had a visit from her Aunt Flo, she would be due for a hormonal growth spurt.

“I can’t believe you’d use my traumatic experience to manipulate people.”

“Really? I can!”

- though he did learn from her to manipulate people, so yay?

I loved that Sheldon actually said Thank you (and seemed genuine) to his mom when she said she wasn’t going to force him to go to college. OK, she probably should, but it was nice to hear Sheldon sounding genuinely grateful for once.

I suppose it fits with Sheldon’s personality that he would choose a game it was impossible for him to lose because I thought there were no elements starting with D, but there is Dysprosium. He’d still be guaranteed a win as there are no “J” elements (until they discover Jellium!).

On 4/12/2021 at 5:26 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Why is it such a big deal if Missy is taller than Sheldon? They're not identical twins.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me - she's allowed to grow at a different rate (and girls typically go threw their puberty growth spurt before boys do).

Spoiler

We know adult Missy is about as tall as Sheldon - though a quick Google revealed that Courtney Henggeler is actually four inches shorter than Jim Parsons. I guess she was wearing some killer heels!

I don't think the height difference is much of an issue at all. My god-children are twins, and the girl has been several inches taller than the boy for most of their lives. They're now 19, and she still has him by about an inch.