Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Private Enemy No. 1

• Start Topic

WHAT FEELS RIGHT - While Harry (Rupert Evans) and Macy (Madeleine Mantock) unravel the mystery of an ancient magical artifact, Mel (Melonie Diaz) helps Abby (Poppy Drayton) track down an unseen evil force, and Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) deals with academic sabotage. Also starring Jordan Donica. James Genn directed the episode written by Aziza Aba Butain and Nikki Renna (#306). Original airdate 3/14/2021.

I still dont understand the showrunners obession with using special effects when they dont need to. It's a waste of your money when you have 2 characters with telekinesis and add light effects to it for no good reason. Is it because they want to try to make it seem like a different power? That does the same exact thing?

The sisters come together for 5 seconds and then drift off to their respective love interest storylines again...do Maggie/Macy not care about Abby being a demon?

Hopefully this demon prison thing will have the sisters actually save innocents together more.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Demon prison break could be interesting, and I really hope that it could lead to the sisters really spending time together again. Its less like the power of three now and the more like the power of three subplots. 

This is why you double check before you go for revenge Maggie. Also, we don't need love interest guy to spell the "my own worst enemy" message out, we all got what the point was. Mel is also still with Ruby I guess and now Maggie is going to get with this other guy, because heaven help us if the sisters weren't all off in their own romantic subplots. Harry and Macy work pretty well because its at least usually tied into the main plot and they do still work as a couple for me, but the rest of them are so superfluous.

I am curious about Abbey's witch family.  

I still dont understand the showrunners obession with using special effects when they dont need to. It's a waste of your money when you have 2 characters with telekinesis and add light effects to it for no good reason. Is it because they want to try to make it seem like a different power?

They got slightly different versions of their powers last season but they didn't have technicolor mojo shooting out of their hands every time they effected it. That's new this season, and for no reason I can tell. Was kind of the big talking point last week because now it looks like they all have the same power. Why does colored mojo have to shoot out of Mel's hand if she's freezing something?

I am curious about Abbey's witch family.  

I don't. Mostly because we've already covered her mother, her father and her brother, and in all that time there was never a mention of another sibling. And her brother already had another brother, too. How many previously unmentioned relatives has this woman got?

That guy who is playing Maggie's new love interest is also on Good Witch on the Hallmark channel. He's getting typecast as witch bait.

• LOL 4

I have never related to Harry more than when he tossed the pen onto the table, it rolled off, and he did that exasperated huff and eyeroll. It's always the worst when everything is going wrong and even your inanimate objects betray you.

I want to care about Ruby and Mel's relationship, but I don't. Do we know much about Ruby other than that she's a witch who chose to live a non-magical life? This show has never been great at developing Mel's relationships. I liked Nico best out of the three four love interests so far (I totally forgot Katrina existed), but I felt like Mel's big sacrifice/betrayal of erasing Nico's memories came too early in the show for it to have true emotional impact. I liked Jada and the Sarcana storyline, but I can't even remember how it ended -- did they break up over their differing ideologies? At least she was tied to the main plot. Ruby is a side character who's forgotten 90% of the time -- I actually thought she and Mel had already broken up until Mel mentioned their relationship in episode four. The writers need to either bring her in to the main plot and get us invested in her like they did with Parker, Jordan, Julian, etc. or cut her loose. That said, when she walked away early in the episode I was annoyed that she didn't at least offer Mel one of those muffins, so I'm glad she redeemed herself at the end. That was a cute moment.

I feel like the only person who likes Abigael. I'm sorry, I know she's objectively terrible, but hot, bitchy, morally ambiguous Englishwomen are a soft spot of mine. In fiction, anyway. (Also, enemies to lovers is my favorite trope. Just saying. There are future possibilities here.)

Harry does not look old, so all these anvilicious comments about his age are just eyeroll-worthy. I get that he's insecure about it, but there's no reason for anyone else to be making cracks about his advanced age or pointing out that he'll outlive his girlfriend. Hopefully Macy's assurances this episode are the end of that.

Harry's beautiful mind moment cracked me up. He basically had a murder board and everything. Also, "You can't just walk in here and take a man's orb!" You know, Macy, telekinesis would come in real handy in a situation like this. (The problem with giving a character an incredible power like telekinesis is that they just look stupid when they don't use it during the many, many instances where they should.)

Prison for magical/superpowered creatures is not a new concept, but it should be interesting enough.

Finally, Jordan needs to watch this video.

This episode was alright, I guess.  

It's weird how the monsters of the week were such a low priority in their eyes that neither Mel nor Maggie bothered to help.

Instead, Mel got saddled with Abigail again.  At least Abigail's Inner Demon isn't going to be a big bad this season.  I was really dreading that.

The Harry orb thing seemed awfully easy to fix.  Why not have Macy save that alien hunter guy?

I remembered nothing about Ruby last season until I read this thread.  I wouldn't be surprised if Handsome Male Classmate will soon overtake her in cumulative screentime.

What a nuanced look at the legal profession.  The episode posed such a intriguing question... which is more repulsive - Abigail being a Demon, or Jordan being a Lawyer?