Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Witchcraft and Superstition

• Start Topic

(edited)

Deep belief and reverence for the supernatural characterize the culture of the Scottish Highlands. Sam and Graham take a deep dive into old superstitions, witch trials and their imprint on the country. Plus, Sam spends the episode trying to scare Graham at every turn.

Promo:

Original air date: 3/7/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Eeek!  I've never had the first comment before.  Ok, no pressure... Deep breath.  

I don't really have anything to say about this one other than it seemed shorter than the others. I feel like Graham is always the guinea pig, poor fella.  

Also, as an American who was a teen in the 90's, the gold standard in swoon-worthy male apparel for me is a pair of Levi's and a white t-shirt.  However, Sam in a black t-shirt and jeans is making me rethink all of my previous comments in other threads where I confessed that he doesn't really do much for me when he isn't in character as JAMMF.  To Sam, the world, and my usually spot-on judgment, I apologize.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The level of coat/sweater/scarf envy I am having watching this show is off the charts.  I love all of these things and only get to wear them for a really short period of time in Texas.

• Love 3

Agreed, he looked good but I generally think he always looks good😅  And SassAndSnacks I think I caught the side-part didn't I?😍   I think he has good taste is clothing, he's a pretty classic dresser.  As for the episode, I was kind of underwhelmed.  Don't really have much to say, but I think it could have been better.  

Edited by Beeyago
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Beeyago said:

And SassAndSnacks I think I caught the side-part didn't I?😍   I think he has good taste is clothing, he's a pretty classic dresser.  As for the episode, I was kind of underwhelmed.  Don't really have much to say, but I think it could have been better.  

I love a classic dresser, sigh.  And well, side parts, you know?! 

Episode was definitely underwhelming.  Obviously, I love me some Outlander, but I think they call back on it too much.  It's almost as though they are relying on it too much to drive the content of their own show, even though there should be ample original content out there for them to use.  I don't know if that was their doing or STARZ pushing that issue.  Also, I thought the editing was kinda meh.  Each stop was not fully fleshed out as a story in itself.

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly, I thought Graham was a lot more tolerant of Sam's "I'm going to scare you" pranks than I would have been. After the second or third time, I would have been super annoyed.

This.  The first time was funny.  The second time was ok.  The third...we get it already.  It actually made me want to hang out with Graham rather than Sam, to whom I think I would have had to say STFU.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Beeyago said:

Agreed, he looked good but I generally think he always looks good😅  And SassAndSnacks I think I caught the side-part didn't I?😍   I think he has good taste is clothing, he's a pretty classic dresser.  As for the episode, I was kind of underwhelmed.  Don't really have much to say, but I think it could have been better.  

I thought I was just tired when I watched, but I too was underwhelmed & didn't even chuckle! 

15 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

I love a classic dresser, sigh.  And well, side parts, you know?! 

Episode was definitely underwhelming.  Obviously, I love me some Outlander, but I think they call back on it too much.  It's almost as though they are relying on it too much to drive the content of their own show, even though there should be ample original content out there for them to use.  I don't know if that was their doing or STARZ pushing that issue.  Also, I thought the editing was kinda meh.  Each stop was not fully fleshed out as a story in itself.

This.  The first time was funny.  The second time was ok.  The third...we get it already.  It actually made me want to hang out with Graham rather than Sam, to whom I think I would have had to say STFU.  

Sort of agree, I am surprised they refer to Outlander so much! Might be fan service, much like Sam taking off his shirt (this is the second episode he's undressed-is this in the contract?? )

My daughter jumps out to scare me all the time, & I hate it, so I too would have to ditch Sam if that continued! 

18 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Eeek!  I've never had the first comment before.  Ok, no pressure... Deep breath.  

I don't really have anything to say about this one other than it seemed shorter than the others. I feel like Graham is always the guinea pig, poor fella.  

Also, as an American who was a teen in the 90's, the gold standard in swoon-worthy male apparel for me is a pair of Levi's and a white t-shirt.  However, Sam in a black t-shirt and jeans is making me rethink all of my previous comments in other threads where I confessed that he doesn't really do much for me when he isn't in character as JAMMF.  To Sam, the world, and my usually spot-on judgment, I apologize.  

I liked Sam's coat!

Edited by Cdh20
adding a thought
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

Sort of agree, I am surprised they refer to Outlander so much! Might be fan service, much like Sam taking off his shirt (this is the second episode he's undressed-is this in the contract?? )

This is such a great point!  I don't think I'm prudish (I KNOW I'm not...I watch Outlander), but it's ok to keep your shirt on your bod sometimes.  It seemed a little gratuitous, particularly the part where he was dripping oil or alcohol on himself.  

• Love 1

I had a thought about the Outlander bits...they do refer to filming the show quite a lot in the Clanlands book. Also  it is Outlander advertising for anyone watching that hasn’t seen the show, so Starz is completely behind that. Let’s be honest is anyone who isn’t an Outlander fan watching this show? 

2 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:
Edited by Cdh20
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

This is such a great point!  I don't think I'm prudish (I KNOW I'm not...I watch Outlander), but it's ok to keep your shirt on your bod sometimes.  It seemed a little gratuitous, particularly the part where he was dripping oil or alcohol on himself.  

I noted Sam isn’t in Jamie shape, covid year kept him from the weight room, he’s quite thin here. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cdh20 said:

I had a thought about the Outlander bits...they do refer to filming the show quite a lot in the Clanlands book. Also  it is Outlander advertising for anyone watching that hasn’t seen the show, so Starz is completely behind that. Let’s be honest is anyone who isn’t an Outlander fan watching this show? 

So very true. It’s got to be at least 90% Outlander fans watching it, if not more, all the more reason to not take up precious screen time with clips from the show. The first episode was fine, yes make the connection and establish Sam & Graham as Jamie & Dougal, but every episode? Unnecessary. But yes, Starz is probably behind it 🙄

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

is your Jamie crush spilling over to Sam?

Wait, is that what is happening here?!  Did I finally cave?!

1 hour ago, Beeyago said:

The first episode was fine, yes make the connection and establish Sam & Graham as Jamie & Dougal, but every episode? Unnecessary.

Agreed.  We all know where they're from.  And even if you didn't during the first episode, you do now.  It reminds me of a sit-com that has been running for a long time and then they do the reminiscing episode that is just a bunch of clips from prior episodes.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Agreed.  We all know where they're from.  And even if you didn't during the first episode, you do now.  It reminds me of a sit-com that has been running for a long time and then they do the reminiscing episode that is just a bunch of clips from prior episodes.  

OMG yes!!! 😂😂😂

9 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

The stupid thing is that using the clips from Outlander is completely unnecessary because I'm guessing that 99% of the people watching Men in Kilts are doing so specifically because they watch Outlander. If there are any viewers who are people with Starz subscriptions and randomly stumbled upon Men in Kilts and kept watching because they enjoy travel shows, the clips from Outlander are not exactly what I would describe as enticing enough to get them to watch Outlander because they're just random snippets of dialogue.

• Love 3

I agree with the comments on that this episode was meh.  There were some funny bits and some interesting bits but I felt like the editors/production didn’t know how to present this episode.  The scenes with the torture devices was shown as jocular but it felt forced and Graham was visibly uncomfortable.  I think they could of shown that with the gravity that it deserved.  Real human beings were horribly abused and died because of that.  Outlander has no qualms about showing that and I felt it could of been more educational and less ‘haha thumb screws’.  Especially when the guide said that most couldn’t sign the innocent document because their fingers were too mangled.  I really like this show but I felt that this one missed the mark.

Edited by LBS
Grammar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2