Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: The Book of Reconstruction: Chapter Three: Despite All My Rage...

Trini
  • Start Topic

Jefferson is feeling even more lost after a frustrating therapy session. Meanwhile, Anissa continues to care for a still comatose Grace. Lastly, Lynn has a breakthrough.

The episode was written by Brusta Brown & John Mitchell Todd and directed by Salim Akil.

Airdate: 2/22/2021

BLK403fg_0002r.jpg

Edited by Trini

Decent episode.

It definitely seems like they are setting up Jennifer to disappear for awhile by her hand turning into pure energy against her will. I enjoyed her social media storyline, it hasnt been done yet to my memory with the Arrowverse and makes sense.

Congrats to Anissa/Grace for being the first superhero married lesbian couple! How I wish this wasnt the last season we got with them. 

While I am glad that Jefferson is getting it together this episode, they should've traded out Lala for introducing Roulette and use her instead. I know this show keeps the cast very tight but she would've been good to start using and turn the fight club into a meta human fight club.

• Love 2

I know Jefferson isn't in the best frame of mind at the moment, but I really hope they don't spend too much time on him thinking Lynn is actually working with Tobias (or something more), because it should be pretty obvious to most everyone that it is way, way more likely she would only be there due to trickery or threat, instead of actually being in league with him.  But, again, Jefferson isn't exactly at 100% here...

Jennifer takes on her biggest threats yet: social medial, fake news, and the evil talking had pundits!  Truly a blight on society!  Liked how they worked T.C. into the story as well.  But it looked like she was briefly vanishing at one point?  Uh oh!

Gambi gets ahold of one of those new, fancy guns and it certainly lives up to its reputation, which is not good news for our heroes!

Grace comes out of her coma and she and Anissa get hitched in the quickest way possible!  Hey, I don't blame them at this point.  In television land, it's best to just get it locked down once you want to marry, because something is destined to mess things up if you wait.  One of the many reasons I didn't get upset when Felicity asked for her and Oliver to be married alongside Barry and Iris.  Who knows what would have happened if they waited just a little longer?!

Lala's got himself a fight club going on.  But he is at least following social distancing guidelines by not having a live audience and it being remote/online, so Good Guy Lala? 

• Love 1

I like the title. I wouldn't associate this series with Smashing Pumpkins. "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" would apply to Jefferson. His world is a vampire; in spite of his rage, he's still just a rat in a cage. At least he's a rat that can whup some ass in an underground cage fight.

Most of the series is either seeing the other shoe drop, or getting ready for it to drop. Example: Jefferson finds out his oclleague is making money by getting his butt kicked in Lala's underground arena (now on Zoom!) Jefferson gets the money and drops the guy off at his house. Here's what I wouldn't have been to surprised to hear: "Thank you, Mr. Pier- . . . Jefferson." "No problem." "I'm going to die here, aren't I? I get back on my feet, I get closer to my kids, and then someone blow up your home with me in it." "Yeah, my life seems to trend that way."

Same with Grace's return to consciousness and her quick marriage to Anissa. Jenn's getting her alter ego into social media, but it looks like she might start to literally lose herself. And Lynn seems to make a mental breakthrough on why she's been risking her life with borrowed metahuman powers . . . but I don't think he'll be kicking the habit. Tobias luring her into a fancy dinner to flex. At this point, he's making sudden turns and figuratively knocking everything over with his dick. I will say that he's fun to watch when he's full of himself.

While Tobias was "entertaining" the mayor (and his horrific hairline), he mentioned Jefferson is the principal of Garfield High again. Of course, he blames him for the school getting turned into a war zone. Wasn't that under Lowery? Also, what happened to the straw man principal? Last thing I remember, he was getting his ass beat by the military. Good times.

Is it bad that I saw the news lady on the TV and immediately started dreading her appearance? It would be interesting if this was a national show, and that there would be a metahuman backlash that spills into the other Arrowverse shows. Sadly, I think that was a local news lady.

Edited by Lantern7

Okay, this episode convinced me: Tobias is either using shapeshifting metagenes to play the role of the therapist (and her mannerisms and dialogue really remind me of Krondon's performance) or she is at least on his payroll. Tobias' pitch to Lynne at the restaurant almost exactly echoes her confession to the therapist earlier in the ep.

• Love 3

Oh, come on! I was really disappointed when Jefferson walked away instead of lighting up Tobias. I hope there isn't some stupid misunderstanding either; but yeah, Jeff & Lynn aren't in a good place right now anyway, so it's not looking good. Ugh- Tobias sucks. I've decided that I want everyone to kill him at the same time.

I'm glad that Grace is awake, but I wish that it had been more than a two-scene subplot. I also want an explanation about why she only now woke up and why she was in a coma for so long, but I don't think I'm going to get it.

Living Single cameo!

I'm liking the therapy sessions. (Can we get this for some of the other superheroes?) I really want Jeff and Lynn to be happy and solid before this series is done.

I'm also now suspicious of the therapist -- although, I don't think it fits Tobias' M.O. If she's not connected to Tobias, the writers shouldn't have had his words be exactly the same as hers.

Glad Gambi has his side plot. LOL at 'we put a stun setting on our super-deadly blasters' -- as if anyone is buying those things to stun people. Anyway, Gambi has a point; even if Jeff doesn't want to be Black Lightning anymore, he should still be worried about those guns coming to Freeland.

Jefferson really needs to get himself together. Sooner than later, I hope. Yes, Lynn's new addiction is superpowers but I didn't like him saying she "not one of us". She's not a metahuman, but she's still your family! Your wife; mother of your children. I guess I'm just tired of the family being broken up for another season.

Fight club was one way to get some action in this episode. I was really afraid Jefferson was going to reveal his powers.

Jen's subplot was nice. But is what's happening to her side effects, or a new version of her powers?

It's weird that we haven't seen anything of Khalil in 3 episodes when he's still a series regular.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Who knows what would have happened if they waited just a little longer?!

Two uninterrupted weddings?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Lala's got himself a fight club going on.  But he is at least following social distancing guidelines by not having a live audience and it being remote/online, so Good Guy Lala? 

Lala has got standards, he might be a murderous drug dealing criminal and gang leader, but even he knows that you have to maintain proper social distancing regulations. Even in your illegal fight clubs. 

I hope this means Jefferson will get his grove back soon, its nice that he got to help the teacher out but it seems more like a Black Lighting job than a Jefferson job. He might not have used his powers, but its not like he saved this guy by prepping him for a job interview, he used the fighting he learned as BL. I also hope that he and Lynn sort themselves out soon, both of them are making hurtful choices. Jefferson is right that Lynn isnt trained to fight and that this could be her addiction talking, but him and the girls telling her over and over that "she isnt one of them" is clearly really hurting her. Lynn isnt wrong that Jefferson needs to stop moping, but she is also being pretty dismissive of everything he has gone through, and I can see why he thinks she is being hypocritical about insisting that he become BL again. 

The family is probably going to be a bit upset that Anissa got married without them, but I am glad that Grace woke up and they got married. I hope that we get some answers about how she ended up in a coma and why she woke up now, and I especially hope that this means Grace will finally get some more plots that aren't about her being Anissa's girlfriend and damsel.  She seems to have a lot going on as a character, I really hope she gets more to actually do now with more agency. 

Love Jen calling Anissa out on her overuse of the superhero landing. "You could just walk." Jen's plot was nice, fighting with social media buzz instead of her powers, but is she having more power issues now? 

How do people on Earth One not already have superhero insurance? Especially in Freeland. That's on the insurance companies, not super people. 

Gambi's new lady friend has some high quality gear, and now that Jefferson has checked out I guess he is going to be monitoring all of these scary weapons coming into the city on his own. 

The therapist has to be be on Tobias's payroll, his pitch to Lynn was way too specific for it to be a coincidence. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3