Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: NO HALO

• Start Topic

Zoey returns home for a long weekend; she finds her friends busy with Cal U's Field Day; Jazz and Doug's relationship gets complicated when Jazz returns from the NCAA track finals with some very surprising news.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/18/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

It's hard for me to feel bad for Zoey. When you leave school, whether it's because you graduated or you dropped out, some of the things you took for granted as a student are things you no longer get to do. My college had certain annual events that were awesome traditions (like an on campus festival where bands played all day) but you had to be a student to get into some of them. Why? Because the student activities fee you pay each semester/quarter funds that stuff. If they let Zoey into that junior/senior event, then they have to let in anyone in Los Angeles who wants to come.

Mr. EB once told me that everyone has a price. It a combination of what's at stake, what you have to give (or give up), and how desperate you are. Like if you're a millionaire, you have the financial stability that you probably aren't going to be bribed for $5000. But if you're like Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson in Indecent Proposal, a million dollars seems like it might be worth considering Robert Redford's offer. Student loans suck (I had to take out the maximum amount of every available loan to be able to afford college so I get it), but are they worth being muzzled about your principles for the rest of your life? I can't believe Finn Hudson's mother thought Aaron could be tempted!

I could hear Ross Geller yelling, "WE WERE ON A BREAK!" when Jazz was feeling guilty about sleeping with that other guy.

• Love 4

I cant feel too bad for Zoey not getting to do things at college with her friends, this is what she choose to do, as dumb of an idea as I think that was, and these are some of the consequences. She cant do fun college stuff if she isn't in college. "This isn't the first door that will be closed to her as a college drop out." Ouch, I think the twins have been holding back a bit on they Zoey snark, but it all came out this week. Them also commenting on Junior dropping out makes me wonder how no one on Black-ish has commented on the fact that Bow and Dre now have TWO college drop outs. 

No way is Aaron going to take that money, but he is in big trouble with his girlfriend over the Zoey stuff now. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's hard for me to feel bad for Zoey. When you leave school, whether it's because you graduated or you dropped out, some of the things you took for granted as a student are things you no longer get to do. My college had certain annual events that were awesome traditions (like an on campus festival where bands played all day) but you had to be a student to get into some of them. Why? Because the student activities fee you pay each semester/quarter funds that stuff. If they let Zoey into that junior/senior event, then they have to let in anyone in Los Angeles who wants to come.

Mr. EB once told me that everyone has a price. It a combination of what's at stake, what you have to give (or give up), and how desperate you are. Like if you're a millionaire, you have the financial stability that you probably aren't going to be bribed for $5000. But if you're like Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson in Indecent Proposal, a million dollars seems like it might be worth considering Robert Redford's offer. Student loans suck (I had to take out the maximum amount of every available loan to be able to afford college so I get it), but are they worth being muzzled about your principles for the rest of your life? I can't believe Finn Hudson's mother thought Aaron could be tempted!

I could hear Ross Geller yelling, "WE WERE ON A BREAK!" when Jazz was feeling guilty about sleeping with that other guy.

Ha, thank you! I spent most of that scene trying to identify her and I thought it was Finn's mom, but wasn't 100% sure.

That student loan cancellation would be a hard temptation to pass up. I didn't think Aaron would take it, but I can't blame him for being conflicted.

I miss the early days of this show, when they were all in school and just trying to navigate college life. It feels too soon for them all to be so scattered to the four winds. Yes, it happens in real life that members of your freshman year friend group transfer/drop out, etc, but for a tv show, it feels like huge change.

I cant feel too bad for Zoey not getting to do things at college with her friends, this is what she choose to do, as dumb of an idea as I think that was, and these are some of the consequences. "This isn't the first door that will be closed to her as a college drop out." Ouch, I think the twins have been holding back a bit on they Zoey snark, but it all came out this week. Them also commenting on Junior dropping out makes me wonder how no one on Black-ish has commented on the fact that Bow and Dre now have TWO college drop outs. 

No way is Aaron going to take that money, but he is in big trouble with his girlfriend over the Zoey stuff now. 

I feel like Skye has said more in the last 3 episodes than she did in the first 2 seasons put together. Jazz was always the one vocalizing the snark and especially about Zoey, but suddenly she's all quiet and Skye is speaking the harsh truth.

• Love 1

Dear Doug, yeah you may not have slept with anyone else, but do you really think if any of the women you hit on last week hadn't been tossing major red flags last week, you wouldn't have hit that? He can't exactly pretend he's been zjust sitting around waiting for Jazz, it sure seems more like lack of opportunity than lack of desire.... 

Also I feel bad about the amusement I felt about Zoey not getting to participate in field day, honey you are the one that decided you were too cool for school...you don't get to decide to just drop in a play student for a day. I think the show is doing a good job of decentering her and her idea that the world revolves around her and people will move on without her. 

• Love 2

This show could stand going one week without a romantic/sexual relationship conflict. Aaron's girlfriend should have spoken to HIM about her insecurity about Zoe, rather than putting it all on Zoe. I was kind of disappointed that, after everyone watched Aaron's interview and participated in his protest last week, no one watched the broadcast of the track meet. I was also disappointed that the big drama from the race was about Jazz having sex. I was kind of hoping it would be that one of the two sisters lost her race or, if the showrunners were feeling particularly brave, that they ran against a transwoman for the first time, since that is very current in the news. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2021 at 10:46 AM, sleepysuzy said:

This show could stand going one week without a romantic/sexual relationship conflict. Aaron's girlfriend should have spoken to HIM about her insecurity about Zoe, rather than putting it all on Zoe. I was kind of disappointed that, after everyone watched Aaron's interview and participated in his protest last week, no one watched the broadcast of the track meet. I was also disappointed that the big drama from the race was about Jazz having sex. I was kind of hoping it would be that one of the two sisters lost her race or, if the showrunners were feeling particularly brave, that they ran against a transwoman for the first time, since that is very current in the news. 

To be fair, most track meets aren't broadcast.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Skyfall said:

To be fair, most track meets aren't broadcast.

Sorry, I'm old; I mean livestream. The other day I said laptop instead of chromebook, and my students gave me weird looks. I think one of the twins even mentioned it being online or something, but I'd have to rewatch to check. I know the NCAA at least streams this stuff on their website. 

ETA, what they said was, "We were on the news, and we got a medal." So, it just comes off weird that no one was following anything about the NCAA championships on social media or anything, no one called or texted to see how it went. Its like the only reason the twins are track stars right now is to create sexual tension and relationship drama between Jazz and Doug. 

Edited by sleepysuzy