Type keyword(s) to search

The United States vs Billie Holiday (2021)

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Based on the trailer above, it looks like they took a machete to Natasha Lyonne 's performance as Tallulah Bankhead. I would have liked to seen a little more of her relationship with Holiday, or rather I'd like to see that explored more in a better movie. This was largely a mess and dragged in too many parts.

My favorite parts of the movie were the backstage moments of her hanging with her crew. Those were always enjoyable and the cast had a nice chemistry with each other. The acting as a whole was very good and Day was terrific, more than justifying every notice and award she's been receiving. 

• Love 2

Day was fantastic in this and deserve the praise and award nominations she’s getting. However, the movie was just okay. 

Though the title implies that the movie would focus on the Federal Drug Task Force’s plot to take down Holiday, it kind of glossed over their pursuit of her and her struggles due to said pursuit. Daniels threw in a couple of arrest scenes and one court scene but most of the movie was snapshots into Holiday’s love life, career and drug use. 

The supporting cast had nice chemistry with Day, but none of them were standouts and really could’ve been played by any descent actor. This was definitely a showcase of Day’s talents and not much else. IMO. 

• Love 1

I expected more...depth? The plot was just too thin for me and meandering for me to keep up when each...snippet it was happening. And it didn’t help that I could barely hear what the actors were saying-the closed captioning on Hulu wasn’t working even though it was enabled.

That said, Andra was the breakout star and has some AMAZING PIPES!

Why’d they cast such a skinny assed dude to play Anslinger? At the end we saw the real life one, who was a fat, balding man. And the award Kennedy gave him had to be between 61-63, about 2-5 years after Billie died. But he was still skinny and young in the last scene before she died.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I expected more...depth? The plot was just too thin for me and meandering for me to keep up when each...snippet it was happening. And it didn’t help that I could barely hear what the actors were saying-the closed captioning on Hulu wasn’t working even though it was enabled.

That said, Andra was the breakout star and has some AMAZING PIPES!

Why’d they cast such a skinny assed dude to play Anslinger? At the end we saw the real life one, who was a fat, balding man. And the award Kennedy gave him had to be between 61-63, about 2-5 years after Billie died. But he was still skinny and young in the last scene before she died.

While I like Garrett Hedlud, I alway took great issue with his casting as Anslinger. They should have found a great 50ish-60ish character actor to play this role. In a lot of ways Anslinger was a product of his own times that was slowly changing in part to people like Billie Holiday. While it isn't impossible for 60ish person to change their minds, they are far more set in their ways than someone in their 30s. 

Oscar nomination!

Best Actress
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Andra Day (“The United States vs. Billie Holiday”)
Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)