Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Empty Hearse

nymusix

I liked it but it was an episode with its attention divided for sure. With the mystery of Sherlock's death in the air, the other storyline did seem a bit on the back burner. Looking forward to Mikklesen as the baddie! The only thing faker than Sherlock's marker moustache was Watson's though. As Tara said during the show... don't show a close up of a moustache where you can see the sticky tape under it.

• Love 2

Two years after the devastating effects of Sherlock's 'Death', Dr John Watson has got on with his life. New horizons, romance and a comforting domestic future beckon. But, with London under threat of a huge terrorist attack, Sherlock Holmes is about to rise from the grave with all the theatricality that comes so naturally to him. It’s what his best friend wanted more than anything, but for John Watson it might well be a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’! If Sherlock thinks everything will be just as he left it though, he’s in for a very big surprise…

(edited)
But again confirmed the awesomeness that is Martin Freeman and how very, very important his performance is

He was tremendous here.  For a pretty well defined set of emotions (shocked, confused, angry), he gave so many variations that each scene felt new.  I had always been a Sherlock girl in previous seasons, but I finally saw Watson as a complex individual, in his own right, because of this episode.  He should win all the awards.  

I also really liked Molly's story.  She felt very real.  I felt where she had been and where she had gone, how those old feelings had changed a bit, and how they still lingered.  Louise Brealey expressed a lot of emotion in a relatively small speaking role.  Lestrade's interactions, both with Sherlock's reappearance and with Molly, were great, too.  What a cast. 

I thought the writing and plot were at least stronger than the weakest episodes in S1 and S2, but I wasn't as blown away by the look of the piece, for some reason.  WIll have to rewatch to figure out why.  Agreed that there were a lot of pieces being juggled in this one episode.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 2

I LOVED this episode.  I loved how Anderson was Fox Mulder with his conspiracy theories and his group.  All their ideas of what happened to Sherlock and how he could be alive were great.  I loved John’s reaction to Sherlock showing up, thinking he had just made a joke and not realizing how much John was upset and hurt.   I loved how Mary fit in.  She wasn’t a third wheel.  I love all the characters on this show.  They are all well written and acted.   And  believeable!

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode for the most part. I can tell from the way the episode played out that the show's fandom must've exploded at the end of season 2 over the how's and why's, and I liked the way the show responded to that (even if I wasn't a part of the fandom at the time in a way that I could fully "get it"). I loved how John just kept attacking Sherlock repeatedly at the beginning, how everyone mocked John's mustache, Mycroft and Sherlock's entire conversation in the apartment ("'Don't be smart, Sherlock. I'm the smart one.'" / "I am the smart one." ; "...I'm not... lonely, Sherlock."), the fangirl theory with Moriarty and Sherlock kissing, etc.

• Love 2

Truthfully this is my least favorite episode although there are two things that I like. I was on board with Mary from the moment she agreed that she was the best thing to happen to John, that's my kind of humor. I also enjoyed Sherlock and Mycroft playing Operation and deducing the hat.

Otherwise I thought too much time was spent on gimmicks and not enough on the case. I could see Sherlock making the mistake of thinking he could come back after two years and everything would be the same. But at the end, pretending he couldn't disarm the bomb to trick John into forgiving him took all the emotion out of that scene. And it took forever to even get to the case. Lord Moran, who I don't know if he was supposed to be this version's Sebastian Moran since he had no connection to Moriarty, didn't even have any lines.

I didn't think the theories of how Sherlock survived the fall were done to make fun of the fans, more like they were trying to join in with them, the girl who imagined Sherlock/Moriarty together was even given the line about her theory being no more ridiculous than Anderson's. But I just don't think they really added anything to the episode.

• Love 1