Type keyword(s) to search

Old Fantasies: Comparisons to the original show

• Start Topic

but ricardo montalban  as mr rourke i n the original was perfect!!!   he would say once the fantasy starts it must  go until it finishes...but sometimes he would show up in disguise and  effect the out come....I am enjoying the new fantasy island let's see where it goes!

• Like 2

Mr. Roarke was far more mysterious than the current Miss Elena Roarke and didn’t even have a first name. Plus, if I’m recalling correctly, it seemed that Mr. Roarke had mysterious powers while this new version suggests it’s the island that has the powers

• Like 1

I think Miss Elena Roarke knows that something is going to happen and the client will be satisfied, but never what it will be. Elena probably sits in her office all day watching the fantasies play out. You know Elena was probably there sitting on that stool (invisible) while those 2 ladies were making out.

This version seems more directed to a female audience. I recall the original being better balanced. I don't like the "associate" Ruby,  the actress seems bored with her role. I also find it amusing that she is so much taller than Roarke that she has to wear flats whilst Roarke wears heels which makes them a similar a height. 

Roarke in this version doesn't have any mystery or magic as opposed to the original show. We see too much of her personal life and romance with the pilot. She comes across more as a therapist rather than some kind of Mystic like the original Roarke did. 

• Like 1

So I’ve been laid up and have rewatched the first 3 seasons of the original show (I’m 58 and loved the show in its original run - my teen years, but stopped watching after 1981 when I was in college). The original was an okay reflection of the time period and actually tried to address some of the changing norms in the world when it came to female empowerment, and many episodes focused on female empowerment. However, ethnic diversity didn’t happen. In fact, the vast majority of cast was white. In hindsight i I think the original show, could have easily introduced more ethnic diversity into the show.

Thank goodness that over 40 years later, the show has evolved even more. It is now very diverse in many ways, including ethnicity, gender, and sexual identity and sexual orientation. I think they really did a great job of being inclusive and representative without alienating people - they introduced the characters and let the characters tell the story instead forcing any issues. In other words, they let the story tell the story.

While rewatching the original, they focused on female empowerment but always from the male perspective and not always as empowering as they thought.

• Like 3

I've grown to like this show, but when I compare it to the original show, this one still makes my heart hurt. OG Roarke was well established to be an immortal. We never saw or heard about family, and so I just can't buy Elena as a relative. I have no trouble making the island a sentient... partner, but Roarke had his own power. We watched him use it.

I adored and miss Ricardo Montalban (not just on Fantasy Island), and I wish this were slightly more faithful to the original. Maybe they did the best they could, since clearly they couldn't bring Ricardo back for any kind of transition, LOL. I want Elena to be more MYSTERIOUS.

Also -- I don't love the name "Elena" since Roarke's wife was named Helena. I dunno. Just too close with no explanation.