Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Insouciance

I think I'm in for the season with this show. 

I like the two leads even though they are the worst.  They add just the right touch of humanity to them.  And I really like how the "slacker" friend acts as sort of the "angel" on Jimmy's shoulder. 

But two things--I kind of dislike how almost every time there is a period/sex discussion on TV, it's brought up as an an absolute dealbreaker to sex.  It is, sometimes with some people but not always with everyone.  But I do like what the show did with it.

And they're going to need to stop this "Cameron-dissing" crap.  I'll put up with a lot but no, just no.  Cameron was actually the protagonist of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

• Love 3

I think I'm in for the season with this show. 

I like the two leads even though they are the worst.  They add just the right touch of humanity to them.  And I really like how the "slacker" friend acts as sort of the "angel" on Jimmy's shoulder. 

But two things--I kind of dislike how almost every time there is a period/sex discussion on TV, it's brought up as an an absolute dealbreaker to sex.  It is, sometimes with some people but not always with everyone.  But I do like what the show did with it.

And they're going to need to stop this "Cameron-dissing" crap.  I'll put up with a lot but no, just no.  Cameron was actually the protagonist of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

I'm with you about the leads. They're great.  The two sidekick characters are fine, and I think the kid hasn't been given enough to do yet to evaluate him.  OTOH, he bookstore owner who showed up in this ep - I think she fell a bit flat because she was written as a pure villain.

I actually don't have strong opinions about Ferris Beuller's Day Off, but I do like the alternate theory that not only is Cameron the protagonist, but that Ferris is a figment of Cameron's imagination...

I loved the Ferris discussion. I'd never thought about the movie in-depth, although I have seen it many times. I side with the roommate about Cameron, even though I love the character.

I thought this episode was better than the pilot. I loved the scene at the restaurant because that would be my reaction to being sat at a communal table. I shudder just to think about that. Actually, that wouldn't be my reaction because I'd have left, no matter how hungry I was!

I did think that the show was setting up an obvious twist when Jimmy was ranting on about how Cameron was the enemy of fun -- that is, that's Jimmy -- but they ended up leaving it mostly understated rather than really highlighting it and pointing it out.

The whole see you in 5 days was suppose to show what a jerk he was.

But it seems they want to show them falling for each other, finding out they had similar outlook.

If Gretchen reallytruly wants to point out how hip and sexually open she is, why can't she tell him what orgasm does for menstrual cramps?

They didn't even touch that on Sex & the City.  

The comment about communal tables from Jimmy, when the waitress was telling him that they weren't eating with these other people, they were just sitting at the same table, something about "you're cutting the semantics on that one with a fucking Ginzu knife" or something to that effect.  Brilliant.  

I loved that Gretchen was in an alley with a bottle of wine and Pringles.

The reservation joke reminded me of that Seinfeld joke about reservations, to make things worse they sat them at the communal table. Comparing to a car rental, you reserved a full size sedan and they give you a compact car you can barely fit in. Why would a cook/chef approach that table? It's not like he's gonna cook there!?

Bookstore owner was Flo? I almost wanted to sell him insurance.. LOL

• Love 1