Type keyword(s) to search

Tiger

• Start Topic

No one?! I’m not interested in golf whatsoever, but of course when all the scandal irrupt it about Tiger Woods I found it fascinating. Heard a local DJ here talking about the upcoming documentary and it made me want to tune in.

Hadn’t remembered  his father’s rather bizarre, literally messianic expectations of/predictions for Tiger. Whoa....

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

Yeah, there was way too much golf in it,

It was enough; for me it was too much Daddy Issues.  Most everyone knew Earl was a prick.

The letter his ex-girlfriend read was one of the coldest things I have ever heard.  They sure aren't pulling any punches.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2021 at 8:08 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The letter his ex-girlfriend read was one of the coldest things I have ever heard.

No lie there.  They cut her out brutally.  

I'm enjoying the documentary.  I used to like to watch Tiger golf.  He seemed so dominant at one time, I don't know if he fell off because he got older, lost focus, lost confidence, or if everybody else caught up with him.  

It was kind of funny the way they would play the ominous music every time his dad was onscreen.  He obviously had his issues, but he also had a lot to do with making Tiger rich, famous, and successful.  And there was also a lot of affection between them as well.  People aren't perfect, no newsflash there.

• Love 3

Earl Sr. was nuts and absolutely delusional. Tiger was a golf star, not Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X, Cesar Chavez, etc. His father carried on as if Tiger was going to cure cancer, AIDS, world hunger, and create peace in the Middle East. So ridiculous.

Tiger is (was) a great golf player, but that's about it. We're talking about someone who accepted the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Donald Trump, habitually cheated on his wife, and was a self loathing mixed race black man, who didn't like his own brown skin -- but I actually feel bad that his exes were a part and shared old personal/private moments etc. But he did like a hard faced white woman, Elin being the exception. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Earl Sr. was nuts and absolutely delusional. Tiger was a golf star, not Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X, Cesar Chavez, etc. His father carried on as if Tiger was going to cure cancer, AIDS, world hunger, and create peace in the Middle East. So ridiculous.

He was definitely over the top about it, but I do think Tiger was a uniting force in some ways.  The fact that he was muti-racial meant that several different groups could identify with him as one of their own.  And he was so good he united people in ways that only sports could do, especially before it became so political.

I'm knew of Tiger and that he was good was good at golf , but that's it.  I also some  friends who were golf/Tiger fanatics so when they talked about him frequently, I just zoned out. But I didn't realize just how GOOD Tiger actually was, it's pretty amazing.  I hope they delve into what happened with his game.

His first girlfriend looked a lot like Elin. He definitely seems to have a type.

Stardom is so wanted and longed for, but  it seems most are unhappy once it is achieved. 

• Love 1

Finished part 2. Not much to say, except the Enquirer douche made me take a shower after watching him pontificate.

Also, the editor should be fired.  When Tiger beat Rocco Mediate, it was in sudden death. Rocco was on the green with a long putt to tie him, not watching in the media tent.  That whole sequence was horribly put together.

I thought this documentary was really well done. I especially enjoyed the interviews and home videos of his first girlfriend. It was nice to know that at least for a few years Tiger was able to at times be a normal teenager. Brutal though that Tiger cut her out of his life so suddenly, as well as  the platonic friend of many years.

I am wondering how HBO obtained the home videos of Tiger playing golf as a child? Much seems like it may have been filmed by his mom, so I am wondering how they could have obtained them other than through her?

It was interesting seeing the plane towing the banner about Tiger attending treatment for sex addiction, at the 2010 Masters. I attended the 2010 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach a couple of months later, and there was a small plane towing a banner directed at his caddy Williams, to the effect that he knew about Tiger's cheating. Hubby and I happened to pass by Tiger on a practice day as he was sitting on a golf cart with the driver, and a body guard standing beside the driver. I contemplated going over to ask for Tiger's autograph, but judging from the scowl on Tiger's face he was definitely giving off a "leave me alone" vibe. I had gotten several autographs on my visor earlier, so decided that I was happy with the ones I had, from the players who were happy to sign for the spectators.

I have noticed though in the last few years that Tiger is much more friendly with his fellow golfers, and seems to be playing for the pure love of the game. I guess all that he has gone through with scandals, addiction and injuries has finally brought him to that point, so good on him.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I am wondering how HBO obtained the home videos of Tiger playing golf as a child? Much seems like it may have been filmed by his mom, so I am wondering how they could have obtained them other than through her?

Probably he or his mother gave them permission to use the footage since he was one of the interviewees. For some reason that really surprised me. I know Earl gets a bad rep and deservedly so IMO, but Tida looks scary as shit.

3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I have noticed though in the last few years that Tiger is much more friendly with his fellow golfers, and seems to be playing for the pure love of the game. I guess all that he has gone through with scandals, addiction and injuries has finally brought him to that point, so good on him.

I don't follow him at all, but the difference in him on camera after that last come back was jarring. In all the earlier appearances he seemed disturbingly shut off, like you could see no engagement in his eyes. The little robot that could is what he looked like. Him cutting off his personal relationships with a clean cut supports this. Earl and Tida more likely than not made him write that letter to his college girlfriend, but then there were the childhood friend and long time caddy. That we know of. And then after the arrest and rehab it was whoa, look at him joking around on the course. And he seemed much more present and open in his on camera interviews.

I don't really think this documentary was the best, but then again, as that family friend said, Tiger is just human, whatever else Earl wanted him to be. The cheating was bad and I remember shocking when it came out, but after all the shit we've seen since, it's basically meh. Don't get me wrong, it made him a terrible husband, but as Bryant Gumbel, I think, put it, it was a private matter between him and his wife.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bijoux said:

Probably he or his mother gave them permission to use the footage since he was one of the interviewees. For some reason that really surprised me. I know Earl gets a bad rep and deservedly so IMO, but Tida looks scary as shit.

Tiger wasn't interviewed directly for the documentary though. I googled to try to find the answer as to how they got the childhood footage and found an interview with the two directors of the documentary. They went through 6-7 thousand hours of footage including footage that had been released over the years by his parents. So I assume in the various interviews Earl did over the years  he showed the home movies of Tiger learning to play. They did say that Tiger, Elin and his mother did not participate.

I definitely think his parents were behind the letter to his first girlfriend - in fact he pretty much says it. But cutting out the platonic friend was all Tiger. The reason I thought that the doc was well done was it brought out a human side to Tiger, and really showed how deranged Earl was in his expectations of Tiger. Not only as a golfer but a person. The directors found it interesting that those who participated still cared for Tiger despite being cut out of his life. I think the documentary did a good job of showing the person behind the "legend". 

Edited to add - Tiger has said in interviews in the last couple of years how much he has enjoyed playing with fellow golfers. He would never have said that years ago, and certainly not when Earl was alive. It was much more of the mind games like they showed with Phil  Mickelson, and Tida's advice of having his foot on their necks.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Finished part 2. Not much to say, except the Enquirer douche made me take a shower after watching him pontificate.

Also, the editor should be fired.  When Tiger beat Rocco Mediate, it was in sudden death. Rocco was on the green with a long putt to tie him, not watching in the media tent.  That whole sequence was horribly put together.

I was getting very skeevy vibes from that Enquirer guy.

As for the Rocco footage, that was him watching Tiger force the playoff.  I had no problem with how it was presented, because the purpose of the documentary wasn't to tell the details of his golf wins.  

The point I took away from it was how difficult it must be to handle all that fame, wealth, and success without yet having developed the maturity to do so.  Of course that's a risk most would take, but it some ways he was lucky to come out of it alive.  Maybe the happier attitudes he's shown on the course with his fellow golfers will someday lead him to reconnect with some of the people he cut out of his life.

• Love 2