Type keyword(s) to search

S28: New Year's Eve Show

• Start Topic

Joining Graham for his traditional Hogmanay chat: the one and only Tom Hanks, promoting new western News of the World; Hollywood stars Emily Blunt and Jamie Dornan, talking about romantic Irish drama Wild Mountain Thyme; food writer Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, telling us how to Eat Better Forever; comedian Nish Kumar, giving us his satirical take on 2020; and from New York, double Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain looks ahead to her new spy thriller The 355. Musical guest Sophie Ellis-Bextor performs Crying at the Discotheque, and viewers from around the world tell us their New Year's Eve stories in the big red chair.

Original UK Air Date: 31 Dec 2020

• Love 1

It was a very lively show, which I appreciated. It helps that all the guests had been on the show before and knew the format. I think sometimes newbies are a bit shy about talking when Graham isn't focusing on them.

Dornan and Blunt had a good sense of humor about their movie, which I won't spoil (it's not their terrible accents)—it's bonkers.

I was relieved that Sophie Ellis-Bextor's outfit wasn't an extremely short shirt but a shirt and shorts. I love all the paillettes, though!

I knew Graham would flip the Big Red Chair with that second guy. Nish did deserve it by proxy.

I thought things were cracking on this show. Pretty much everyone had great chemistry with each other, and it felt more like being at a relaxed after-party than a talk show. (Doesn't hurt that they had a professional comedian, and both Emily Blunt and Jamie Dornan seem to have great senses of humor about themselves.)

On 1/9/2021 at 12:13 AM, Brookside said:

Why the hell is Emily Blunt dressed as Heidi?  (Not that she'd be able to yodel her way across the mountains in those heels.)

I liked it, if only because she could sit there without adjusting it or concentrating on keeping her knees glued together. 

23 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I thought things were cracking on this show.

Me, too.  Guests spontaneously chanting EM-I-LY! EM-I-LY! E-MI-LY! to get her to tell a poop story on herself is what I watch this show for.

And Tom Hanks's "betrayal" of Nish Kumar.  Good stuff.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I liked it, if only because she could sit there without adjusting it or concentrating on keeping her knees glued together. 

Absolutely.  I've posted before about the idiocy of wearing above-the-knee dresses or skirts to sit-down interviews.

6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Absolutely.  I've posted before about the idiocy of wearing above-the-knee dresses or skirts to sit-down interviews.

Or outfits where they have to sit ramrod straight to keep the bodice from gapping, or the alternative--constantly adjusting it.  That's why I love Helena Bonham Carter on this show--she can sit there with her arm slung over the back of the couch with no worries.

• Love 2