Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Day Six

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I’m impressed by the actress who plays Toni. The difference between her when she’s happy and in love versus angry and self destructive was really striking to me, and I felt for her. 

I thought the fight between Fatin and Leah was weird. Fatin smearing blood on leah’s face was a weird move and I’m not sure how Leah going to wash up in the water was perceived as crazy. Maybe I’m missing something?

so it looks like the parents know this is a secret wilderness retreat but do not know just how extreme it is. So did Dot’s dad also know this is what he was signing her up for? Maybe he figured she would be all right because they watched all those Survivor type shows. But he doesn’t seem like the type to not give Dot a heads up. And assuming all the parents signed off, who signed off for Toni, the foster parents she no longer lives with? I’m assuming they wouldn’t let her mom do it if she doesn’t have custody. 

• Love 3
On 12/14/2020 at 7:43 AM, legxleg said:

... I’m not sure how Leah going to wash up in the water was perceived as crazy. Maybe I’m missing something?

She did strip naked to do it, which seems a little strange and I guess coupled with her other behavior was just kind of the final nail to make them think she was off the deep end.

And assuming all the parents signed off, who signed off for Toni, the foster parents she no longer lives with? I’m assuming they wouldn’t let her mom do it if she doesn’t have custody. 

I didn't think about that. Maybe Martha's parents did, since Toni seemed to have moved in with her in the flashbacks. And obviously, the organization running this thing is not on the up-and-up so presumably they wouldn't really care if her legal guardian wasn't involved lol.

• Love 5
On 12/14/2020 at 7:43 AM, legxleg said:

so it looks like the parents know this is a secret wilderness retreat but do not know just how extreme it is. So did Dot’s dad also know this is what he was signing her up for? Maybe he figured she would be all right because they watched all those Survivor type shows. But he doesn’t seem like the type to not give Dot a heads up. And assuming all the parents signed off, who signed off for Toni, the foster parents she no longer lives with? I’m assuming they wouldn’t let her mom do it if she doesn’t have custody. 

At least with Leah's parents,  it looks like they thought they were signing her up for a "therapeutic summer camp" in Montana, for the entire summer.  I also don't think Dot's dad would have lied to her about this, and based on Dot's conversation (last episode) with Gretchen (Dawn of Eve evil lady), I'm guessing both were lied to.  She would be an orphan by that point, maybe having been declared an emancipated minor (to avoid having to go into the foster system for a year), so no one would be looking for her.  Maybe Toni had turned 18 by the time of the trip and had aged out of the system? 

My guess is Gretchen gave each of the families different stories as to where their daughters would be, but each one would have the girls away for more than a weekend, at least a month.  There would be no reason for Nora and Rachel's parents to send both girls to a wilderness camp, same with Shelby.  I'm wondering what they told Fatin's family to get her to pack so much for a supposed weekend retreat in Hawaii! 

I like how the stories are unfolding.  This is one of those shows that I wish didn't get dumped all at once - it would be better to watch one episode a week, but I don't have that much discipline. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 8

I'm wondering what they told Fatin's family to get her to pack so much for a supposed weekend retreat in Hawaii! 

I guess Fatin is the equivalent of Thurston and Lovey Howell, ridiculously overpacking for a short trip. Plus, half of Fatin's suitcase was her enormous makeup case. She seems like the type who would pack multiple cute outfits for each day she's away, likes to have options for her many selfies.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4