Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E03: Remember Me In Quarantine

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

This seems to be very much a minority opinion, but I didn’t enjoy Warner’s guest spot.  I thought it was too cursory, and while I understand the intent was to show the strain COVID has placed on medical workers, to me it continued a pattern of bringing back longtime recurring characters only to receive unfavorable portrayals.  Judge Barth as a sleazy defense attorney, Dana Lewis as a secret villain, Ed Tucker to die, etc.  I’d like to see her again under other circumstances.

I'm having a tough time remembering it, because I didn't record it, but we only saw Warner at the beginning right? If so, then her presence there was exactly what 853FISHER mentioned. And it makes me wonder why she couldn't have been more instrumental in revealing the death of the girl. Didn't they get their standard report from the M.E.'s office, rather than talk to Warner directly? Then again, I can't remember for sure.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:09 AM, SarahPrtr said:

The subject of hair and makeup on women in real life and especially on a tv show/movie is something I get unnaturally worked up about.  As in, someone has to tell me to calm TF down, because I sound insane for getting so worked up about it.  I absolutely HATE seeing women working out with their hair out and whilst wearing makeup (exception would be if you've come straight from the office and you haven't taken off your makeup yet).  Anyone seen Miss Congeniality?  Fair enough that she's a super-busy FBI agent who has no time for beauty maintenance, but why tf would you keep your hair long like that?!  Cut it off and put your damn hair back! 

I get very twitchy when a scene opens with a shot of a couple waking up in bed in the morning yet the woman still has perfect makeup.  Maybe her hair is a little mussed up, but never in a way my hair looks mussed up at 7am.

And don't get me started on why male TV hosts have apparently lost the ability to shave in the time of Coronavirus.

• Love 3

Just watched this yesterday, and I didn't understand why Olivia told the father his daughter didn't suffer, Yet we know she did suffer. The facts of her death would have been told to the father, but this was never brought up again.

It was weird in that she didn't sugarcoat the facts, she outright lied and I kept waiting for the blowback.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I mean, what would have been gained by telling a grieving parent, “Yes, she did suffer. She suffered horribly and died a terribly painful death.” 🤷‍♀️

The scene just didn't read that way. Olivia has been in SVU for decades, maybe, and the inquiry from the father would not have been new to her. I expect a seasoned detective/lieutenant to be able to formulate a somewhat comforting response that wouldn't be such a clear lie and was going to be public knowledge. If a murdered victim has been raped I surely wouldn't expect Olivia to tell a grieving parent it didn't happen because nothing is to be gained. These are major facts of the case. She doesn't get a halo for saying no in these instances.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

The scene just didn't read that way. Olivia has been in SVU for decades, maybe, and the inquiry from the father would not have been new to her. I expect a seasoned detective/lieutenant to be able to formulate a somewhat comforting response that wouldn't be such a clear lie and was going to be public knowledge. If a murdered victim has been raped I surely wouldn't expect Olivia to tell a grieving parent it didn't happen because nothing is to be gained. These are major facts of the case. She doesn't get a halo for saying no in these instances.

But this is not unusual on shows, no matter how seasoned a character is. Take ER as another example. Dr. John Carter and medical student Lucy Knight were stabbed repeatedly by a law student that had a psychotic break. (He thought a lumbar puncture was Carter and Lucy trying to steal his organs.)

After Lucy died, Carter came across Lucy's mother, at the hospital gathering up her daughter's things. She talked with Carter [who was a patient by now, in a wheelchair] and asked if it hurt. He lied and said it didn't. Sometimes, even people like parents that probably know better will cling to such a lie to allow them to function.

I'm not at all nuts about Olivia Benson and haven't been forever now. But, in this instance, I think she did the humane thing.

• Love 5

About Olivia lying to the victim’s father - I didn’t get why she lied either and I don’t think it was the right thing to do, because the father would obviously find out the true facts surrounding his daughter’s death once the arrest was made and the facts of the case came out - the media would obviously report on what happened to her and it would be discussed in court, either at trial or when the killer pled guilty. So the father would find out eventually what really happened to his daughter, it’s not like he would be shielded from the information forever, and the father could get mad at Olivia for lying to him about it and it could get her in trouble. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But this is not unusual on shows, no matter how seasoned a character is. Take ER as another example. Dr. John Carter and medical student Lucy Knight were stabbed repeatedly by a law student that had a psychotic break. (He thought a lumbar puncture was Carter and Lucy trying to steal his organs.)

After Lucy died, Carter came across Lucy's mother, at the hospital gathering up her daughter's things. She talked with Carter [who was a patient by now, in a wheelchair] if it hurt. He lied and said it didn't. Sometimes, even people like parents that probably know better will cling to such a lie to allow them to function.

I'm not at all nuts about Olivia Benson and haven't been forever now. But, in this instance, I think she did the humane thing.

Surprisingly I never watched ER, but I understand that response. As an example, supposed they came upon a victim who supposedly died peacefully. Maybe Liv found out through a deathbed confession or later evidence that the person suffered. In that case, surely there is no need to burden grieving folks, especially if the outcome won't differ. Let them have that peace. If Olivia had said she hoped the girl didn't suffer, it wouldn't have stuck with me. But this was so early in the case, and her "no" was so forceful that it felt like a plot device waiting to be addressed. If it was only intended to be words of comfort, they should have written dialogue offering that comfort and deflecting from the direct question.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

About Olivia lying to the victim’s father - I didn’t get why she lied either and I don’t think it was the right thing to do, because the father would obviously find out the true facts surrounding his daughter’s death once the arrest was made and the facts of the case came out - the media would obviously report on what happened to her and it would be discussed in court, either at trial or when the killer pled guilty. So the father would find out eventually what really happened to his daughter, it’s not like he would be shielded from the information forever, and the father could get mad at Olivia for lying to him about it and it could get her in trouble. 

I don't know about anybody else, but I thought XELIOU66 put it best and Benson just outright lied to the father. As far as I concerned, this is another example of Benson's self-righteous approach to dealing with victims. If she would have sought advice from a grief counselor on how to explain things to the father I think I could accept that, but Benson has to take it upon herself. They need to bring back a regular shrink.

• Love 1