Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: River Escape

I thought this ep was so much better than the first one -- and the space so much more liveable. And what I liked most of all was how they adapted the space for their needs. Having a proper pantry makes a lot more sense than extra clothing storage. I love how they added a off-the-shelf outdoor storage shed to the deck. And having the girls over for a sleepover really showcased how adaptable that space was.

I was really surprised the boy could use that desk space and get work done, but apparently with him sitting, that worked out. In fact, both loft bedrooms felt surprisingly spacious.

The clothing over the stairs was ingenious but ugly. I'm thinking that if the family could live with it, it was a really good solution but couldn't they come up with something to make it a little less in-your-face?

Not sure why they were stuffing things like bicycles (which can easily live outside) and boat gear (ditto) into the boat other than to provide filler for minutes that could otherwise go into the building story.

I also wish they'd show what that place would look like in severe weather and how they'd respond to those conditions and potential high water situations.

• Love 1

Are they going to live there just part of the year? They mentioned the "rafting season" as the need to be at the river for their business. Would like to see how the family is loving the place after the new has worn off!

• Love 2

I was really surprised the boy could use that desk space and get work done, but apparently with him sitting, that worked out.

But, he's still got a lot of growing to do, and it looked awfully cramped already.

I erased this before I remembered to check, but are the kids siblings, or steps? 

I didn't understand either, why they didn't just make this for the rafting season.  And I'd want to rent a storage locker, which I hope they did.

Why is it so small?  Last week, it had to be something towable, so that limited the size, but here, it looks like they have plenty of land, and could easily double the size, and have more storage, more rooms with headroom, another bathroom, and a decent-sized kitchen sink.

And since the smugglers locker fits under the deck, why not one for each person?

Just seems like this is a message show.

• Love 3

But, he's still got a lot of growing to do, and it looked awfully cramped already.

I erased this before I remembered to check, but are the kids siblings, or steps? 

I didn't understand either, why they didn't just make this for the rafting season.  And I'd want to rent a storage locker, which I hope they did.

Why is it so small?  Last week, it had to be something towable, so that limited the size, but here, it looks like they have plenty of land, and could easily double the size, and have more storage, more rooms with headroom, another bathroom, and a decent-sized kitchen sink.

And since the smugglers locker fits under the deck, why not one for each person?

Just seems like this is a message show.

The kids were siblings, her kids. I just can't see teenagers enjoying that arrangement for long.

I agree about why was it so small. I was looking at that deck and thinking,"Why not use some of that space and increase the house size?

I've been following various links from this forum, and there is repeated mention that a house built on a flatbed trailer (working or not) does not count as a permanent home, and therefore is not subject to building codes.  The house in this episode was intended to stay in place permanently, so it could connected to water and sewer, but if the foundation is on wheels it's not a "real" house.  And if it's on a flatbed, the footprint is pretty small.

A friend of my parents built a magnificent de-constructed vacation home on a small island off the coast of Maine.  She built it one room at a time.  As separate units.  it started out as seasonal only and has always used the landscaped outdoor areas as the main living space.  Now she lives there all year round and has seven little "houses".  One is the kitchen, one the bathroom one the bedroom etc.  But all are multi functional.  Because of the severe weather she has three with a toilet in them.  the kitchen and the bathroom and the bedroom "rooms" all have comfortable sitting areas.  I have only stayed once and it is something I often aspire to as somewhere to go moulder, er retire in my golden age. 

The point is, this site along the river reminded me a bit of how she started and yet she had a clear plan to expand and make if a functional site for growth.  I find the idea of simply downsizing to such a point lacking in imagination no matter how charmingly off the wall it seems at first.  i do like the simplicity.  And I love the multi functionality of clever design.  But I thought for four people including two teens who really, really are going to have privacy issues if not today, well tomorrow.  Literally; the determined approach to such limited personal space was just plain silly.  And lacked common sense.  While they do show them later on, I don't get a real sense how they have adapted or evolved in the space so much as simply avowing how it works for them.  That deck area would have as much if not more investment into being made into a functional living space.  Complete with screened in bedrooms for nice weather. 

• Love 3

I've only watched a couple episodes, but do they ever get a laundry room? I'm not buying it that these people will get rid of all their furniture  and live in the mini home all the time. The sink was awful-a mixing bowl, campers have bigger ones than that. The tree-houses on the Animal Planet show are nicer and have more space!

Just watched this episode.   There r bears in the mountains, you never have food outside unless u want the bears to visit your place.  Even leaving the grill out will attract the bears.  And now they put a fridge on the deck, just asking for trouble.  Bears have known to break into cars to get to the food.  Also the mosquitos would be a major problem.  Saw the link to the airbud.  Looks like they aren't living it but renting it out.  Just my observations.