Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: An American Auction in Paris

• Start Topic

For all of the mistakes that Emily actually has made, I dont think that this one was really on her. How could she have predicted some hipsters dressed like exterminators were going to toss paint on the dress as some kind of weird performance art? It seemed like it was going pretty well before that. Also, these guys must have a TON of cash to burn if they spent that much money on a dress that they just wanted to destroy. 

I love how every time they show another American character, they have to be American with a capital A just to make Emily seem less clueless about French culture. Also, are the writers aware that there are things in Chicago other than baseball and deep dish pizza? It seems like thats all anyone there or from there knows or talks about. Of course, the only things the writers seem to know about Paris is that there is wine and pretty clothes, so I guess their lack of knowledge is at least consistent. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, are the writers aware that there are things in Chicago other than baseball and deep dish pizza?

I didn't really mind this part, as it's easy shorthand. The show doesn't take place in Chicago. However...

15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

the only things the writers seem to know about Paris is that there is wine and pretty clothes

The show is set in Paris, so the writers should dig a tiny bit deeper. I'm legit surprised there hasn't been a scene about the fantastic cheese stores. Or chocolate. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

For all of the mistakes that Emily actually has made, I dont think that this one was really on her. How could she have predicted some hipsters dressed like exterminators were going to toss paint on the dress as some kind of weird performance art? 

What kind of terrible security did this auction have?  LOL.  They were carrying GUNS!

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The show is set in Paris, so the writers should dig a tiny bit deeper. I'm legit surprised there hasn't been a scene about the fantastic cheese stores. Or chocolate. 

I would really like more information about the food.

• Love 2

I absolutely loved the scene with Cadault sitting on a bed with a tray of crème brulee, tapping with a spoon and breaking the sugar to make himself feel better. It goes into my favorite food scenes list. 

On 10/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, tennisgurl said:

Also, are the writers aware that there are things in Chicago other than baseball and deep dish pizza?

I know I shouldn't get caught up on it, but I'm irritated by it too. It brings me out of the show because they way they reference it is so simplistic. That's fine if she just stuck to her little life in north Chicago burbs (I'm guessing that's her back story because of the Cubs and Winnetka references) it just is super distracting because Chicago is a big city with a wealth of culture. 

I've really liked Lily Collins in other things, but this character is a hard sell. Honestly though I watched it for the pretty scenery and clothes so, it was fun for that purpose.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Refresh said:

I absolutely loved the scene with Cadault sitting on a bed with a tray of crème brulee, tapping with a spoon and breaking the sugar to make himself feel better. I

I hope those weren't just tossed out after he broke the sugar. What a waste! (And this is from someone who doesn't even like crème brûlée. I just hate food waste, even in a fantasy show like this.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I hope those weren't just tossed out after he broke the sugar. What a waste! (And this is from someone who doesn't even like crème brûlée. I just hate food waste, even in a fantasy show like this.)

Do you mean in the story or on set? It's possible that the stuff underneath the sugar wasn't really proper vanilla custard. If that makes you feel better. 🙂 Could've just been milk, corn starch and food coloring, or some other trick of the trade. 

I've been trying to find out who the food stylist was for the show was but it's not in imdb. (However, the production designer is Anne Siebel who also did Marie Antoinette, Moulin Rouge, & Midnight in Paris . I'm sure she has a go to food stylist, so I'm going to keep digging.)

• Useful 1

Loved the part where Emily said goodbye to Mathieu in this Episode and a classic French song came up. First I didn't know the song, but than I searched the soundtrack on Youtube. Found this amazing cover all in style of Emily In Paris. The name of the song was 'C'est Si Bon'! I got the same happy feelings by this song, as when I saw Emily In Paris! I'm not at all familliar with French music but got inspired through the serie! 

On 10/9/2020 at 2:18 PM, dubbel zout said:

I love creme brûlée, and the idea that nobody ate it is very, very distressing to me.  

I also didn't get how anything in this episode was possibly Emily's fault.   Look, this show is super dumb, I watched it because it's pretty to look at and requires no brain power whatsoever -- and I was curious after reading so many articles about how the show sucks and Emily sucks and is unprofessional, etc etc.   But I cannot get too exercised about Emily's almost maniacal obliviousness because her co-workers are no better.   Luc and Julien are often unprofessional, inappropriate, and deliberately unhelpful.  And except for when she saved the day in the awful American movie starlet episode, Sylvie is a shitty manager and doesn't seem that effective in her job, either.  "Ooh, even the Chicago office may want to get rid of you after this!"  Lady, grow up.  I totally understand being annoyed that annoying Emily got parked in her office, but Sylvie's just written as childish.

The plotting and dialogue on this show really are at the level of a Disney or Nickelodeon kids' show ... but with lots of eye-rollingly juvenile sex talk.