Type keyword(s) to search

The Afterparty in the Media

• Start Topic

The Afterparty is an eight episode murder-mystery comedy series premiering 3 episodes on January 28 on Apple TV+ with the remainder of the episodes dropping weekly every Friday.
Apple_TV_The_Afterparty_key_art_graphic_

The Afterparty was created by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, who are also the executive producers. Chris Miller is also the director and the showrunner.

The series is centered around a murder mystery at an afterparty of a 15-year high school reunion. 
“Our goal was to tell a comedic whodunnit story in a new and exciting way. By giving each episode its own unique style of storytelling, we were able to make what feels like eight distinctly different but interconnected films that highlight how everyone’s personal perspective and biases shape how they see the world.” Codes and puzzles are hidden throughout the episodes to give you clues to the killer's identity.

The_Afterparty_Photo_010103.jpg.photo_mo
The_Afterparty_Photo_010102.jpg.photo_mo

Tiffany Haddish plays Detective Danner, who has to make sense of it all.

John Early plays Detective Culp, Detective Danner’s overly-eager partner.
The_Afterparty_Photo_010201.jpg.photo_mo

Sam Richardson plays Aniq, a loveable escape room designer who hopes to reconnect with his high school crush, Zoe.
The_Afterparty_Photo_010101.jpg.photo_mo

Zoë Chao plays Zoe, a former artist turned school administrator who is newly separated from her high school sweetheart.

Ike Barinholtz plays Brett, Zoe’s ex-husband, an arrogant, former high school athlete.
The_Afterparty_Photo_010301.jpg.photo_mo

Ben Schwartz plays Yasper, Aniq’s relentlessly positive best friend who dreams of a career in music.

Jamie Demetriou plays Walt, ignored throughout high school, Walt attends the reunion with hopes to be remembered.

Tiya Sircar plays Jennifer #1 who happens to be pregnant. 

Genevieve Angelson plays Indigo.

Illana Glazer plays Chelsea, the former high school valedictorian and class president.
The_Afterparty_Photo_010401.jpg.photo_mo

Dave Franco plays Xavier, once a dorky high school drama student, now a famous pop star and actor and the person who was murdered and fell off a cliff.

Sam Richardson plays Aniq and he has a crush on the character Zoë, Episode 1: Aniq will be in the form of a Romantic Comedy.

Ike Barinholtz plays Zoë’s ex-husband, Brett, so Episode 2: Brett is in the style of an Action Movie.

Ilana Glazer who plays Chelsea, says Episode 4: Chelsea will be in the form of a Horror Thriller.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1

I am glad of the renewal. The second half of the season has been a little meh for me but I like the overall premise and look forward to watching Detective Danner on another case. I wonder if John Early (Culp) will come back too. 

• Love 3
On 3/3/2022 at 6:21 AM, xander874 said:

I wonder if John Early (Culp) will come back too. 

I hope he does. I'm always sort of nervous for shows that had such a great season if they can replicate it again. OMITB/Murderville fall into that category of can we capture lightning in a bottle again, but with a limited number of returning cast it sort of makes me think of Squid Game. I'll be rooting for them all!

• Love 2

‘The Afterparty’: Sam Richardson & Zoë Chao Return For Season 2; Elizabeth Perkins, Zach Woods, Poppy Liu Among New Cast

Sam-Richardson-Zoe%CC%88-Chao-Elizabeth-

(L-R) Sam Richardson,  Zoë Chao,  Elizabeth Perkins,  Zach Woods,  Poppy Liu

Sam Richardson, Zoë Chao and Tiffany Haddish are set to return. 

Season 2 will be 10 episodes and will revolve around a murder at a wedding. Sam Richardson (Aniq) and Zoë Chao (Zoe) help  Tiffany Haddish (Detective Danner) solve the crime.

Elizabeth Perkins plays Isabel.

Zach Woods plays Edgar.

Paul Walter Hauser plays Travis.

Poppy Liu plays Grace.

Anna Konkle plays Hannah.

Jack Whitehall plays Sebastian.

Vivian Wu plays Vivian.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wonder if they had a soft renewal or maybe at least a commitment from Apple for scripts for a second season. Otherwise, I’d be surprised at how fast they got to shooting season 2. Like, it wouldn’t be that hard for a normal sitcom, but for a Rashomon-ish show where the central mystery and all the red herrings have to be planned out, I’d assume they have to have all the scripts done first.

Afterparty First Look: Tiffany Haddish Unspools a Devious New Mystery in Season 2 — When Will It Return?

The Afterparty Season 2    April 28, 2023    Apple TV+    10 episodes
There will be a two episode premiere, then episodes will release weekly.

In Season 2: A wedding is ruined when the groom is murdered and every guest is a suspect.

the-afterparty-season-2-tiffany-haddish.

Returning from Season 1:  Detective Danner (Tiffany Haddish) returns to help Aniq (Sam Richardson) and Zoë (Zoë Chao) solve a whodunnit by questioning family members, star-crossed lovers and business partners, and hearing each suspect’s retelling of the weekend.

the-afterparty-season-2.jpg

The series will once again examine the murder from multiple angles using various film genres and visuals to share the storytellers’ unique perspectives.

the-afterparty-season-2-premiere-date.jp

Cast includes: Elizabeth Perkins, Zach Woods, Paul Walter Hauser, Poppy Liu, Anna Konkle, Jack Whitehall, Vivian Wu, John Cho and Ken Jeong.

the-afterparty-season-2-cast.jpg

Genres include:

Jane Austen period piece

90's erotic thriller

twee indie film

heist movie

Wes Anderson film

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/19/2023 at 1:01 PM, AnimeMania said:

Afterparty First Look: Tiffany Haddish Unspools a Devious New Mystery in Season 2 — When Will It Return?

The Afterparty Season 2    April 28, 2023    Apple TV+    10 episodes
There will be a two episode premiere, then episodes will release weekly.

In Season 2: A wedding is ruined when the groom is murdered and every guest is a suspect.

the-afterparty-season-2-tiffany-haddish.

Returning from Season 1:  Detective Danner (Tiffany Haddish) returns to help Aniq (Sam Richardson) and Zoë (Zoë Chao) solve a whodunnit by questioning family members, star-crossed lovers and business partners, and hearing each suspect’s retelling of the weekend.

the-afterparty-season-2.jpg

The series will once again examine the murder from multiple angles using various film genres and visuals to share the storytellers’ unique perspectives.

the-afterparty-season-2-premiere-date.jp

Cast includes: Elizabeth Perkins, Zach Woods, Paul Walter Hauser, Poppy Liu, Anna Konkle, Jack Whitehall, Vivian Wu, John Cho and Ken Jeong.

the-afterparty-season-2-cast.jpg

Genres include:

Jane Austen period piece

90's erotic thriller

twee indie film

heist movie

Wes Anderson film

Gack I loathe Ken Jeong, why does he have to bring his brand of stink onto this show?  I see quite a few new Asian cast members so I would surmise the murder is of someone in Zoe's family.  I also see Ken Jeong in one of the photos, so too bad he isn't the victim.

The themes seem fun.  Other themes I thought would be good would be Monty Python, superhero movie, nature documentary, reality show, magic fantasy / Dungeons and Dragons.

• Like 1

In season two, a wedding is ruined when the groom is murdered and every guest is a suspect. Detective Danner (Haddish) returns to help Aniq (Richardson) and Zoë (Chao) solve whodunnit by questioning family members, star-crossed lovers and business partners, and hearing each suspect’s retelling of the weekend, each with their own unique perspective and visual style.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I just found out the show has been cancelled.  So sad, I thought it was doing well.  It's a very unique show.  I love the mystery aspect and the clues hidden within each episode.  And the fact that each episode is told in the style of a different movie genre really made it a great series.  I hope it gets picked up elsewhere.  

• Like 1