Type keyword(s) to search

Fruit flies

• Start Topic

Maybe in this age of coronavirus I should be grateful for contact with another sentient being, but when that sentient being is a fruit fly, I'm not.

Any suggestions?  (I try sneaking up on them, spray bottle filled with water on hand, but they seem to possess supernatural powers.)

• LOL 2
(edited)

I use a small bowl and put a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a drop or two of dish soap (the vinegar attracts, the soap kills) with good luck. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 7/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, biakbiak said:

I use a small bowl and put a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a drop or two of dish soap (the vinegar attracts, the soap kills) with good luck. 

My husband uses the same mixture, but puts it in a DIY fruit fly trap made out of a soda bottle.  Use a 16 oz plastic bottle, cut in half and invert the neck part into the body. Flies can get in, but have trouble getting back out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

My husband uses the same mixture, but puts it in a DIY fruit fly trap made out of a soda bottle.  Use a 16 oz plastic bottle, cut in half and invert the neck part into the body. Flies can get in, but have trouble getting back out.

I did the same thing, but with a mason jar and a piece of paper used as a funnel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, biakbiak said:

I just saw this thread. I cover the bowl with plastic wrap and punch tiny holes. Like the soda bottle in the post above, they can find their way in but not out.