Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Son Also Rises

It occurred to me during this episode (when I wasn't rolling my eyes at Eva reeling Killian in with the "fate" card or Ingrid being, well, Ingrid) that after all her lies/lies of omission up to this point Joanna is finally lying to herself...yes, about Frederick.  Other than Wendy's intuition, though, he's at least been careful to keep his shady stuff private--like swallowing Wendy's earring so he can somehow enchant it--and he's earning brownie points by helping Freya track down Killian.

I'm also glad Dr. Foster's dead, if just because I always wanted to smack him.

As for Dash...I think I'm starting to hate his pivot towards the dark side.  Sure, it makes a certain sense in-show, but damn.

Going off the end of this episode and the promo for the next one, Freya and Killian's (and Eva's) story can/could only keep them apart yay long.  Physically, that is.

And it won't surprise me if Mr. Tentacle is/was the thing engraving that symbol onto people's chests, but in this particular case Frederick was conveniently absent when Foster got grabbed (I'm still debating if that's a swerve).  If Ingrid is now the show's special snowflake, though (which now includes pithy comments like "I love my job, even though my boss just died"--girl, stop), I'm wondering if whomever's master plan is to somehow manipulate her into doing something in order to accomplish their goals.  And since they keep mentioning Joanna and Wendy's father...?

• Love 2

...and after reading that I'm thinking you should abbreviate "Joanna Does Something Stupid Or Withholds Helpful Info" to simply "Joanna Beauchamp Stupidity Alert." Or something even pithier, if you can think of it. :)

• Love 2

I thought the tentacle scene seemed pretty rapey last week, too. Ingrid didn't exactly appear to be in full possession of her faculties and thus not able to give consent.

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought the tentacle scene seemed pretty rapey last week, too. Ingrid didn't exactly appear to be in full possession of her faculties and thus not able to give consent.

True! I don't think that's the message the show was trying to send last week though, so the reveal of her the morning after this week seemed at odds with that. You're absolutely right about what made both scenes so squicky, and why the show clearly failed if its intention was to make everything seem great with tentacle dude. (It's possible that isn't what they were going for at all, but I'm not trusting this show with the capacity for a ton of nuance.) I'm both interested and nervous to see how they address it. I assume badly.

Edited by adam807
  • Love 2

Damn, I cried when the girls were hugging each other after having done the spell to open up the ceiling and show fireworks. (My sister and I no longer have a relationship, but I love shows like this that do have them.)

With all of the weird things going on, and the worries of something else being out there, you'd think that someone would be keeping a better eye on Ingrid. She's passing out in the garden (she's done it more than once), and they decide to just blame it on alcohol. I don't think she was drunk the first time.

• Love 1

The sleepwalking excuse is still in play, though for the moment complicated by the alcohol assumption--which at least fits, since Ingrid was all tipsy at the Bent Elbow.  That said, the collected Beauchamps' resistance to Ingrid stating she wanted to move out was remarkably brief and quiet; I would have at least expected Joanna to say something along the lines of "But, honey, we need to keep an eye on you--you're the key to the portal to Bizarro Asgard, honey, and we still don't know what came through when it was open."  OTOH, assuming it comes to pass, it's likely plot-mandated.  They had to not say anything so that she does go...and so Mr. Tentacle can make his rapey metaphysical booty calls with impunity.

True.  It just would have been really nice to see a little more discussion about/resistance to Ingrid's announcement, if for no other reason than to help offset the seeming contrivance factor of it.

I dunno, I'm getting the impression that while Frederick is certainly hiding something, it's sort of a red herring to make us think he's the villain, when in fact it will turn out to be someone else that Freddy's trying to protect them all from.  He certainly can't be tentacle-guy, because he'd be having sex with his own sister, and I don't expect even this show to go there.

The cat-reaction CGI to seeing the EMT guy with a daughter gave me flashbacks to Salem on Sabrina the Teenage Witch. "GrrrRR???"

Of all the dumb things on this show, you know what really bugged me those most? The "spell" Ingrid and Freya pulled out of their asses to put on a fireworks show. Like, that would be a thing they'd know after just finding out they were witches practically yesterday. And, what language are these spells written in, Latin? Why would there be an ancient Latin spell for something that wouldn't be invented for hundreds of years?

Yeah, I'm calling Fredrick to be the only thing that came through the portal and that Tentacle Man is Dash in some weird Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde side effect from getting his powers back. And I guess he always wanted to have sex with Ingrid? I don't know, I'm pulling this out of my ass...

It's a shame that guy was cast as Frederick because Freya has way more chemistry with him than Dash or Killian. I was waiting for a friend to ask who her new boyfriend was but then remembered Freya doesn't have any friends.

I'm also glad Dr. Foster's dead, if just because I always wanted to smack him.

I was trying to figure out why Ingrid would be organizing what appears to be someone's valuable collection of items on a table in the public library.  I mean, I was under the impression she was working as a curator for a university of some sort, which presumably would have a dedicated space, rather than just leaving Ingrid to her own devices.   

It's a shame that guy was cast as Frederick because Freya has way more chemistry with him than Dash or Killian.

Yeah, Frederick has all kinds of inappropriate sexual chemistry with his sister (and his aunt!).  There were several points where I felt like they were going to go all Flowers in the Attic on us and various twincest makeout sessions would ensue. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The primary problem with this show, aside from the bad acting and the bad writing, is the poor casting.

Freya has no chemistry with the dull/possibly evil brothers. As a result, you didn't get the Dash love, let alone the Killian obsession. Ingrid had more chemistry with dead black cop and that was thrown out the window. Wendy is now being thrown at the new guy, but I sense no chemistry there. The only male cast member who was effective to me was Victor and he naturally will not really be a part of the show.

Plenty of shows can overcome bad acting with great chemistry, just look at many soaps, prime time shows and movies. The only way to overcome the lack of chemistry in the face of poor acting is mile an hour action and at least semi-appealing leads -- case in point Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen in the Star Wars Prequels (lack of action only highlighted poor acting and no chemistry) and Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth in the Thor movies (the two of them as a couple are painful to watch, but so much else is going on, it is easier to overlook the anti-chemistry between these two supposed great loves).

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2