Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Wild Ones

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

letter-c.png

There are just some episodes where you know, almost as soon as you start them, you know they're going to be a "long" one.

While I think this episode eventually didn't drag like I thought it would, the episode still wasn't as compelling as it could have been.

I could get into my usual complaints about "Bonnie & Clyde" stories- they usually cast the woman as an unwitting participant or in a "twist" make her the "actual" ringleader of the couple- but the show didn't really develop, well, any kind of story about the pair.

They just relied on some exposition, the "Bonnie" looking rather maniacal, and the couple just randomly and recklessly shooting at everyone, because I guess they just wanted to get caught.

Oh, and those "bounty hunters" really just got in the way...and caved too easily. The lady hunter made it clear she needed the job for her kids' tuition...a few "magic words" from Deacon can change her mind?

I don't know why SWAT and the bounty hunters couldn't have worked out a deal. They work together and the bounty guys get to bring in their fugitives. The two sides were unnecessarily antagonistic.

So the case was, again, a dud. The side stories were hit or miss too.

I had a feeling we'd see "Shady Piper Lynch" at some point and there she was, threatening to go to the press to rat on the Deputy Mayor. At least her tactic actually worked and didn't do too much damage to SWAT. I doubt that's the last we'll see of that, though.

Gotta feel bad for Darryl, but...if I was the father of the girl he impregnated I'm not sure I'd be so quick to let him back in to my daughter's life. Rightly or wrongly, memories do run deep.

Then there was Luca's story...heartwarming in the end, but you knew Luca was going to find some way to continue with the force. Knowing he did the Three Mile Run at the end of the episode- that we know is not a season finale- removes some of the suspense behind that run too.

11 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Then there was Luca's story...heartwarming in the end, but you knew Luca was going to find some way to continue with the force. Knowing he did the Three Mile Run at the end of the episode- that we know is not a season finale- removes some of the suspense behind that run too.

I was wondering if it was the finale, but I just checked IMDb and there is one more episode (Diablo).  But it doesn't air until May 20!  Wonder why the almost a month gap.  IIRC, the May sweeps start today (if they are still doing that in light of all the COVID-caused early wraps to most shows), so an episode airing on May 6th would still be within the time frame.  Oh well.

5 hours ago, transitfan said:

I was wondering if it was the finale, but I just checked IMDb and there is one more episode (Diablo).  But it doesn't air until May 20!  Wonder why the almost a month gap.  IIRC, the May sweeps start today (if they are still doing that in light of all the COVID-caused early wraps to most shows), so an episode airing on May 6th would still be within the time frame.  Oh well.

I believe they're doing something with Survivor over the next two weeks so that's why the "season finale" airs on May 20.

I don't know about sweeps or anything like that. I do know that networks are trying to space out their products so that they can take as long as they need to in order to air their new material, because they're unable to make any new shows to fill their schedule.

(edited)

Okay, guys. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think Luca's "injuries" had to do with the actor getting plastic surgery. His face looked...smoother to me. I could be wrong, but I'm going on a hunch here. If someone can compare an episode from just before his leave of absence to verify, but...

Things I liked about this episode:

They didn't spend 70% of the show with these two nutjobs just shooting at people. They had a goal. A target. And even though they took out many innocents in the process, it happened while they were trying to get to that target.

Chris' thing with the deputy mayor is OVER. OMG. Thank you, show. I pictured this dragging out with SWAT in jeopardy as the major cliffhanger, since they stressed that he had power over them.

Lynch kicking ASS. Okay, I love how they're shaping her character. It was actually Chris who wanted to break all the rules, and Lynch is like, "Dude, I got your back. There's a faster, easier way that won't mess up your career. " Understanding politics in her position is essential. Knowing how to talk to these guys is how you get sh*t DONE!

I think it's interesting that we have two characters who are willing to do anything to get the job done, and Piper is showing Chris how to do it with some finesse rather than charging in all fired up without a plan. 

I also like that Piper is soft spoken. She doesn't have to scream at the top of her lungs or throw her weight around in a showy way. She laser focuses, does the sting, and gets out. I dig her.

The Darryl thing is hard to watch, but it is realistic. I think it's good they're showing the consequences of teen pregnancy. And once you're painted as a screw-up, it's really hard to change people's minds about you, especially if you impregnate their daughter.

P.S. I would like it if just once, with these Bonnie/Clyde situations, the woman didn't call her man "Baby" and have tons of ridiculous PDA.

Edited by Sweet Tooth
2 hours ago, dirtydi said:

Kenny Johnson (Luca) had hip surgery.  Not ruling out face work too because it is Hollywood.

Thanks for the info. I guess it was a success, since he was running pretty good there.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:58 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

The Darryl thing is hard to watch, but it is realistic. I think it's good they're showing the consequences of teen pregnancy. And once you're painted as a screw-up, it's really hard to change people's minds about you, especially if you impregnate their daughter.

So true. Actions have consequences and unfortunately Darryl is learning that the hard way.  I’m glad Hondo checked the girl’s father about disrespecting Darryl in Hondo’s house. 

The rest of the episode was meh although I’m glad Luca is back in the field.

• Love 1