Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Corner: It Was Designed for a Dainty Neck

• Start Topic

I've been watching (just watching, as I'm listening to music on my iPad) while I'm doing my night time wind down to sleep routine. I can't get over the outfits they put Bea Arthur in. I was an adult when this originally aired, buying my own clothes, and I never saw any of the awful Omar the Tent Maker outfits in stores. And I didn't know any women who wore clothes like that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 10/2/2021 at 4:15 PM, chessiegal said:

I've been watching (just watching, as I'm listening to music on my iPad) while I'm doing my night time wind down to sleep routine. I can't get over the outfits they put Bea Arthur in. I was an adult when this originally aired, buying my own clothes, and I never saw any of the awful Omar the Tent Maker outfits in stores. And I didn't know any women who wore clothes like that.

Dorothy’s clothes were hit or miss. Some were just awful and/or bizarre. Other times she looked quite elegant. And at least she often just wore sweaters. It’s Rose’s outfits I hated the most. All those dowdy silk dresses. She dressed like Aunt Bee. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 10/4/2021 at 7:33 AM, Ria said:

It’s Rose’s outfits I hated the most. All those dowdy silk dresses. She dressed like Aunt Bee. 

Yes!!! I knew it was just supposed to be a reflection of the innocent Minnesota farm girl character Rose, but Betty White was way too pretty to be stuck in all those dowdy pilmgrim-style dresses and goofy old lady sweaters.

Dorothy at least seemed to have her own unique 80’s boho chic style that suited her; I always enjoyed her flowing tunics and slouchy sweaters/boots because she wore them so well and it seemed very modern for her at the time.

Blanche definitely had the best style of them all, yet it always made me side-eye the other characters saying she looked slutty…I never thought her clothes were all that skanky looking! Just form-fitting, colorful and usually paired with dainty nude mule heels. Go figure that Rue had it written into her contract that she got to keep her entire Blanche wardrobe!

• Love 5