Type keyword(s) to search

Opinions Wanted: Top 10 Episodes of Outlander!

Cdh20
  • Start Topic

I can give you three right now.  The first and last episodes of Season 2 are my most favorite episodes of the series.  The best written, filmed, and acted.   And then, Faith, which is also in Season 2, and is such fantastic barnburner of an episode for Claire. 

I'll have to think about the other seven.  I've rewatched those episodes the most, though. 

• Love 2

1. The Wedding 107. I am falling in love with Jamie right along with Claire.

2. The Reckoning 109. Claire & Jamie realize what kind of marriage they are going to have.

3, Dragonfly in Amber 213. I start crying as soon as I realize they are apart for 20 years. 20 YEARS!

4. Lost Things 304. Jamie gets something he's always wanted-a child.

5. First Wife 308. Jamie & Claire laying it all out about those 20 years, after that peaceful reunion.

6. The Birds & The Bees 409. Jamie & Bree finally meet! 

7. A Malcolm 306.  Claire's face! Me hoping they are never separated again.

8. Lallybroch  112. Loved meeting Jamie's family. Jamie telling Claire how long he's loved her.

9. Best Laid Schemes 206. Jamie talking to Claire's baby belly is everything! 

10. The Company We Keep 504. That moonlit walk had me bawling again about those lost 20 years. 

I tried not to overthink it, I just went with my gut. I have certainly rewatched  season 1 & 2 the most. And maybe there are some more great episodes to come this season still! 

2 that I could not include because I do not enjoy watching them are Wentworth Prison 115, & Faith 207, but they are the 2 best episodes imo, & deserving of all the awards for Sam & Cait, respectively! 

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I can give you three right now.  The first and last episodes of Season 2 are my most favorite episodes of the series.  The best written, filmed, and acted.   And then, Faith, which is also in Season 2, and is such fantastic barnburner of an episode for Claire. 

I'll have to think about the other seven.  I've rewatched those episodes the most, though. 

Thanks for replying, can’t wait to see the rest of your answers!😁

My favorite is Dragonfly in Amber, hands down.

I'd have to go back and think for a bit, but most of the episodes that really resonated with me are from S1 and S2. Seasons 4 and 5 are very Roger/Brianna heavy and they're my least favorite aspect of the show. 

1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

My favorite is Dragonfly in Amber, hands down.

I'd have to go back and think for a bit, but most of the episodes that really resonated with me are from S1 and S2. Seasons 4 and 5 are very Roger/Brianna heavy and they're my least favorite aspect of the show. 

Looking forward to seeing 2-10!

• Love 1

Ok, I've thought more about this than I probably should have, but here we go - 

1. 107 - The Wedding --> Where Jamie the Lad became JAMMF!!  And, he so eloquently delivered those lines about Claire's dark hair that made me so pleased to be a brunette.

2. 112 - Lallybroch --> Claire finds a home.  Jamie tells her the final reason he married her.  Love it. 

3. 210 - Prestonpans --> That bow before he goes off to battle.  Claire's gulp and slow nod.  Claire calling him soldier.  Wee Fergus.  All. Of. The. Feels.

4. 306 - A. Malcom --> The cold open, you know, when Jamie's just going about this day when Claire decides to pop in after 20 years.  20 FREAKING YEARS!!!! Yes, some things are very wrong with this episode (the lack of emotion seeing the pictures, the Willie reveal, etc.) But they are back together, and I love it.  I also love how Caitriona channels that confident yet vulnerable side of Claire.

5. 504 - The Company We Keep --> The walk in the woods is everything to me. 

6. 109 - The Reckoning --> "You're tearing my guts out, Claire!" Possibly my favorite line of the series.  Jamie, smart fella that he is, realizes that things need to be different for the two of them than what he has seen of other relationships in his time.  

7. 301 - The Battle Joined --> This is an acting powerhouse.  We find out what happened to Jamie, feel Claire's agony, watch Frank's frustration.  The scene where she walks across the battlefield...gah, just rip my heart out and take it, ok?!

8. 501 - The Fiery Cross --> I love their time at the Ridge, and some of my most cherished book scenes happen there, as they build the life together that they very much deserve.  Love Claire being a doctor and trying to help the people there.  Jamie in a kilt again!

9. 103 - The Way Out --> Jamie and Claire are at their best when they work together, and here we have our first glimpse of how powerful of a team they can be.  Oh, and that tension-filled scene in her surgery where she checks his shoulder wound.  Smolder away, Sam, just smolder away.  

10. 101 - Sassenach --> The one that started it all.  The one where I audibly gasped when she walked over and fixed this poor Scottish lad's shoulder, turned off the television, and downloaded the book immediately.  

I should give credit to Dragonfly in Amber and Faith, both of which are absolutely stunning episodes.  However, I can't watch them all the time without being a blubbering mess, so I don't.  

12 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Ok, I've thought more about this than I probably should have, but here we go - 

1. 107 - The Wedding --> Where Jamie the Lad became JAMMF!!  And, he so eloquently delivered those lines about Claire's dark hair that made me so pleased to be a brunette.

2. 112 - Lallybroch --> Claire finds a home.  Jamie tells her the final reason he married her.  Love it. 

3. 210 - Prestonpans --> That bow before he goes off to battle.  Claire's gulp and slow nod.  Claire calling him soldier.  Wee Fergus.  All. Of. The. Feels.

4. 306 - A. Malcom --> The cold open, you know, when Jamie's just going about this day when Claire decides to pop in after 20 years.  20 FREAKING YEARS!!!! Yes, some things are very wrong with this episode (the lack of emotion seeing the pictures, the Willie reveal, etc.) But they are back together, and I love it.  I also love how Caitriona channels that confident yet vulnerable side of Claire.

5. 504 - The Company We Keep --> The walk in the woods is everything to me. 

6. 109 - The Reckoning --> "You're tearing my guts out, Claire!" Possibly my favorite line of the series.  Jamie, smart fella that he is, realizes that things need to be different for the two of them than what he has seen of other relationships in his time.  

7. 301 - The Battle Joined --> This is an acting powerhouse.  We find out what happened to Jamie, feel Claire's agony, watch Frank's frustration.  The scene where she walks across the battlefield...gah, just rip my heart out and take it, ok?!

8. 501 - The Fiery Cross --> I love their time at the Ridge, and some of my most cherished book scenes happen there, as they build the life together that they very much deserve.  Love Claire being a doctor and trying to help the people there.  Jamie in a kilt again!

9. 103 - The Way Out --> Jamie and Claire are at their best when they work together, and here we have our first glimpse of how powerful of a team they can be.  Oh, and that tension-filled scene in her surgery where she checks his shoulder wound.  Smolder away, Sam, just smolder away.  

10. 101 - Sassenach --> The one that started it all.  The one where I audibly gasped when she walked over and fixed this poor Scottish lad's shoulder, turned off the television, and downloaded the book immediately.  

I should give credit to Dragonfly in Amber and Faith, both of which are absolutely stunning episodes.  However, I can't watch them all the time without being a blubbering mess, so I don't.  

I love your list, as we have about 1/2 the same. I considered The Way Out as well, the beginning of our couple working together, & Jamie so obviously into Claire! The Battle Joined is an acting powerhouse!  I agree! 

On 3/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, Cdh20 said:

I love your list, as we have about 1/2 the same.

Yes!  Curious how often those episodes would appear in someone else's list.

I almost went with the Garrison Commander in there, too, because the episode was so tense and well-acted, and it gave some really important Jamie backstory.  Choosing 10 is tough.  

11 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Yes!  Curious how often those episodes would appear in someone else's list.

I almost went with the Garrison Commander in there, too, because the episode was so tense and well-acted, and it gave some really important Jamie backstory.  Choosing 10 is tough.  

It is-is that why no one else is in here, giving us a list??

Quick question-you are a book fan first? I am a TV show fan first. I wondered if that would make the lists different. But I see maybe not?

3 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Quick question-you are a book fan first? I am a TV show fan first. I wondered if that would make the lists different. But I see maybe not?

Kind of both, I guess.  I stumbled upon Outlander on STARZ after the first couple of seasons because I was looking for something to watch while I was on the treadmill.  I had never even heard of the books or the show before that.  Apparently, I live under a rock.  I watched the first episode, nearly tripping over my jaw as I ran and downloaded the book from the gym.  After that, I'd read a few chapters, watch an episode, and that went on until I was caught up on both the books and all of the episodes. 

My reading outpaced my running, so I always knew what was coming well in advance of the shows.  I couldn't put the books down, and read the whole series in about 6 weeks, and then read them again immediately after for good measure, taking my time the second time fully through.  The show is incredible, but I prefer the books.  There are parts of them that are so mind-numbingly over-descriptive and leave me questioning WTF should I care, but all of that is made well by the parts that completely warm my heart, blow my mind, heal my soul.  Someone else summed it up better in saying that the things the books do well, they do SO WELL.  

Regarding whether or not that impacts our opinions of the show, I think strong parts of the books likely make for stronger episodes of the show, simply because the source material is better and likely more inspirational.  If the writers also like those sections of the books, perhaps they take more care in adapting those episodes or perhaps it's even easier to adapt those episodes.  But, I'm not a writer so...

(edited)
39 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Kind of both, I guess.  I stumbled upon Outlander on STARZ after the first couple of seasons because I was looking for something to watch while I was on the treadmill.  I had never even heard of the books or the show before that.  Apparently, I live under a rock.  I watched the first episode, nearly tripping over my jaw as I ran and downloaded the book from the gym.  After that, I'd read a few chapters, watch an episode, and that went on until I was caught up on both the books and all of the episodes. 

My reading outpaced my running, so I always knew what was coming well in advance of the shows.  I couldn't put the books down, and read the whole series in about 6 weeks, and then read them again immediately after for good measure, taking my time the second time fully through.  The show is incredible, but I prefer the books.  There are parts of them that are so mind-numbingly over-descriptive and leave me questioning WTF should I care, but all of that is made well by the parts that completely warm my heart, blow my mind, heal my soul.  Someone else summed it up better in saying that the things the books do well, they do SO WELL.  

Regarding whether or not that impacts our opinions of the show, I think strong parts of the books likely make for stronger episodes of the show, simply because the source material is better and likely more inspirational.  If the writers also like those sections of the books, perhaps they take more care in adapting those episodes or perhaps it's even easier to adapt those episodes.  But, I'm not a writer so...

My story is similar, I had Outlander on a list of recommended TV shows, & I knew it was from a book series (that had also been recommended years ago) but I couldn't get my head around the fantasy time travel element, so hadn't read it. I am a historical fiction fan! So when we got Outlander on Netflix about 2 & 1/2 years ago, I thought well I have nothing to lose, & started watching  episode 1 with my hubby. But part way through he chose to go watch a hockey game, & told me to carry on. About a week later he comes home  from work one day & I am on 115, & asks me what has happened so I say well she fell through time & now she is married to this guy, so he says "Well I guess she is never going back to that other husband , now is she?" LOL. I actually struggled a bit through the first 6 , but as soon as Jamie & Claire got married I was all in. I binged season 2 the next week, then I started all over again, I couldn't stop, & I borrowed the first 2 books & read them quickly. 

Season 3 was just airing at the time, & really the end of season 2 is a horrible place to end,  so once it was done I downloaded it to I-tunes. I had time to go online though & be spoiled a bit, which is when I realized I should probably not read ahead, so now I read the corresponding book just as the season is ending. 

I give Diana all the credit for creating these amazing people, but am so glad that these actors are my book people! I find, book first people are most disappointed in the show, & their Jamie never looks like Sam, or Claire like Cait. I think the book does some things better, & the show does others better. 

I should add that I went on & on about it so much that my husband watches it too now, as well as almost every friend, client  & relative I have.

I have not liked a Tv show this much in forever, maybe ever...

Edited by Cdh20
adding thoughts & fixing spelling
  • Love 1

Because it seems that so many of us have the same favorite episodes, it prompted me to think in another direction.  What if we started a thread for book readers to list their favorite 10 vignettes from the books?    No doubt there were be some overlap with scenes from the series, but we may have preferred the way a scene was written in the book to how it was written for television.  

I'll admit it would tax my memory to remember all the specific scenes I loved but there were a lot of them and some of them have yet to air.  We may get more variety when looking for vignettes rather than entire episodes.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Because it seems that so many of us have the same favorite episodes, it prompted me to think in another direction.  What if we started a thread for book readers to list their favorite 10 vignettes from the books?    No doubt there were be some overlap with scenes from the series, but we may have preferred the way a scene was written in the book to how it was written for television.  

I'll admit it would tax my memory to remember all the specific scenes I loved but there were a lot of them and some of them have yet to air.  We may get more variety when looking for vignettes rather than entire episodes.

Clawdette, Please come back & tell us your fave episodes, or fave show moments if you prefer??? Then go start that thread. Anything to take our minds off the state of the world would be welcome! 

14 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Mine too, but I guess if I have to go back through and read certain parts and/or check my Kindle bookmarks, then I have to do it.  Duty calls and all that.  😊

Would this thread needed to be changed to a "Book Talk" thread in that case?

Edited by SassAndSnacks
3 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Mine too, but I guess if I have to go back through and read certain parts and/or check my Kindle bookmarks, then I have to do it.  Duty calls and all that.  😊

Would this thread needed to be changed to a "Book Talk" thread in that case?

I suggested there might be a separate thread for book scenes, as this one is meant for both bookreaders, & non readers, & is really about the show only.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, cardigirl said:

I must say you really like a sad, punch in the gut don’t you ?  

19 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I must say you really like a sad, punch in the gut don’t you ?  

i like the storytelling in those 3 episodes.  I'll have to add "Of Lost Things" because of Jamie's story at Helwater, and of course, "A. Malcom, but I think I liked that one more for seeing how Jamie had put his life back together after Helwater. 

It's an unpopular opinion, but I missed the pull of Frank back in 1948 and Claire's struggle with her feelings about him. I really liked the vicar and that part of the story and missed it when the focus of the adventures went to following Ian to the new world. 

This show is really very beautifully filmed and costumed and acted.  I enjoy it for that.  I guess I'll have to think harder about some more favorite episodes.  

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, cardigirl said:

I have to say that although I like when we see the 2 different times, I think I was so sad in 201 that Claire had returned to 1948. Since  I hadn’t read the book, thinking Jamie might be dead, was devastating. Of course I quickly realized Claire & Jamie were the couple who were meant to be together, but it put a damper on the whole season, knowing by the end of the season she would return to her own time. 😭😭😭

3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

i like the storytelling in those 3 episodes.  I'll have to add "Of Lost Things" because of Jamie's story at Helwater, and of course, "A. Malcom, but I think I liked that one more for seeing how Jamie had put his life back together after Helwater. 

It's an unpopular opinion, but I missed the pull of Frank back in 1948 and Claire's struggle with her feelings about him. I really liked the vicar and that part of the story and missed it when the focus of the adventures went to following Ian to the new world. 

This show is really very beautifully filmed and costumed and acted.  I enjoy it for that.  I guess I'll have to think harder about some more favorite episodes.  

I did like early season 3 (of Jamie & Claire being apart), I think the acting was amazing, from both Sam & Cait ( & everyone). I wonder if anyone will have episodes 309 through  313 on their list though, for me there would only be a few wonderful moments, not whole episodes.

(edited)

Bumping this thread as the season is over! If you are bored at home, come share your favourite episodes & why?

For me the best of this season are 507, 504, 509, 511, 512, but I will have to watch again to determine if I change my best of all seasons.

Edited by Cdh20
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Cdh20 said:

For me the best of this season are 507, 504, 509, 511, 512, but I will have to watch again to determine if I change my best of all seasons.

This has been my favorite season since Season 1.  So good, and I'm very much missing it tonight.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

This has been my favorite season since Season 1.  So good, and I'm very much missing it tonight.

Me too! I ran the idea by my hubby to start season 1 again, but we need to finish Ozark first! 

Just read this article this morning!  I was so pleased to see an article written by someone who has clearly read the books AND watched the shows.  So often, these "Best of" articles are just grasping recaps that seem to be written by people trying to fulfill a word count without having any idea about which they are writing.  Her choices were excellent, though she did miss The Reckoning.  Minor quibble.  

• Love 1

@Cdh20 - You said:

If you haven’t watched all the episodes with headphones then I recommend that you do that! The first time I watched a lot of it on the Tv screen, but the second Time through while simultaneously reading the books ( seasons 1-3), I watched on my iPad( in the dark) & I like it that way the most, you catch all the small details.  Maybe I will watch A Malcolm, on your advice! It’s funny that many of my fave  episodes ( a discussion that belongs in a different thread for sure) have Jamie & Claire not always quite on the same page.Examples of my friends texting me during A Malcolm to say “ why isn’t Jamie happier that Claire is back?” Or In The Wedding “ why is Claire so sad?” 

I definitely need to watch them all with headphones.  My bday is coming up, and I accidentally opened a package that wasn't meant for me and inside was a really nice pair of noise-cancelling, wireless earbuds.  I'm assuming that those will be in my hands in a few weeks!  🙂  (I blamed my kids for opening the package...oops!)

Anyway...

Love your point in bold above, and I agree.  The Reckoning is one of my favorite episodes, too.  These two are so headstrong but intelligent enough to hear the other person's side of things.  I love their arguments - some of the show's (and the books') best writing.  I enjoy how they fight it out, see the other person's point, and become stronger for it.

A. Malcolm - Jamie not so excited because 1. She was gone for a looooooong time (thanks, DG....grrr...), and I'm sure he was more than a bit shocked; and 2. He has a wife (again, thanks, DG....double grrrrr....).

The Wedding - Claire was baffled and believed herself to be a bigamist (and she liked it!)  To be fair, Book Claire was more into it, and that's why Book Claire is the superior Claire.  

(edited)
3 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

@Cdh20 - You said:

I definitely need to watch them all with headphones.  My bday is coming up, and I accidentally opened a package that wasn't meant for me and inside was a really nice pair of noise-cancelling, wireless earbuds.  I'm assuming that those will be in my hands in a few weeks!  🙂  (I blamed my kids for opening the package...oops!)

Anyway...

Love your point in bold above, and I agree.  The Reckoning is one of my favorite episodes, too.  These two are so headstrong but intelligent enough to hear the other person's side of things.  I love their arguments - some of the show's (and the books') best writing.  I enjoy how they fight it out, see the other person's point, and become stronger for it.

A. Malcolm - Jamie not so excited because 1. She was gone for a looooooong time (thanks, DG....grrr...), and I'm sure he was more than a bit shocked; and 2. He has a wife (again, thanks, DG....double grrrrr....).

The Wedding - Claire was baffled and believed herself to be a bigamist (and she liked it!)  To be fair, Book Claire was more into it, and that's why Book Claire is the superior Claire.  

AH, you & I have so much to talk about!

You are going to love those headphones, my hubby gave me the Bose ones a few years ago (he often gives me travel related gifts), & I love them. 

Do you love TvJamie more than BookJamie?

I hate fighting in real life but those 2 laying it all out is a gift! (The Reckoning & First Wife) I think those scenes played out onscreen perfectly from the books, do you agree?

I was actually spoiled to that one fact that Jamie had married Laoghaire & so I knew watching A Malcolm that "that" was what he was holding back, a spoiler none of my friends knew (we are all TV first). 

I may have to change my list above after a season 5 rewatch, hmmmmm.

Edited by Cdh20
adding a thought
11 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Do you love TvJamie more than BookJamie?

Whoa, this is a tough question because only Sam Heughan could be Jamie Fraser.  Talented, cerebral, and dreamy as Sam is, I still prefer BookJamie.  I know!  How?!  But, it's it true.  I'm actually pausing here to second guess it, but yes, BookJAMMF.  And I'm even saying that after watching Episode 2 - Castle Leoch today on a 76 inch television WHILE wearing headphones and hearing every little "Scottish noise" (as DG calls them in the buiks) in the episode and seeing, in very large format, those smoldering blue eyes.  And I'm still saying BookJamie.  

This decision may require further testing.  

I think I prefer the myth aside from the embodiment.  Plus, I think it's beneficial in the books that we mostly see Jamie as Claire sees him, which is full of love, admiration, and respect, and so we get a fuller description of how remarkable he really is.  Sam brings SO much of that TVJamie, but I'm a Claire fan-girl and I love her view of him.  

And I definitely need to change my Top 10 List, too.  

1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Whoa, this is a tough question because only Sam Heughan could be Jamie Fraser.  Talented, cerebral, and dreamy as Sam is, I still prefer BookJamie.  I know!  How?!  But, it's it true.  I'm actually pausing here to second guess it, but yes, BookJAMMF.  And I'm even saying that after watching Episode 2 - Castle Leoch today on a 76 inch television WHILE wearing headphones and hearing every little "Scottish noise" (as DG calls them in the buiks) in the episode and seeing, in very large format, those smoldering blue eyes.  And I'm still saying BookJamie.  

This decision may require further testing.  

I think I prefer the myth aside from the embodiment.  Plus, I think it's beneficial in the books that we mostly see Jamie as Claire sees him, which is full of love, admiration, and respect, and so we get a fuller description of how remarkable he really is.  Sam brings SO much of that TVJamie, but I'm a Claire fan-girl and I love her view of him.  

And I definitely need to change my Top 10 List, too.  

No, BookClaire I can understand but BookJamie, nope! He’s  funnier, I’ll give him that, but nope! 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

To be clear -- I love love LOVE Sam Heughan as Jamie -- but I loved Book!Jamie first so I love him best.

I always love to hear that a book lover loves Sam’s Jamie! 

15 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

To be clear -- I love love LOVE Sam Heughan as Jamie -- but I loved Book!Jamie first so I love him best.

YES!  You said this much better than I did. 

I saw Sam portray Jamie first, stopped the first episode of the show...literally, right in the middle of it immediately following Claire popping Jamie's shoulder back into place, and downloaded the book.  I knew I had to read it first.  So, even though I technically "saw" Sam first, I "knew" Jamie from the book. And, it's a true and complete love.  For both.  Because how can you not love Sam Heughan?  Further, how can you not love Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser?  It's a lethal combination.  One of them alone is potent enough, but combined?!  Holy shit.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

YES!  You said this much better than I did. 

I saw Sam portray Jamie first, stopped the first episode of the show...literally, right in the middle of it immediately following Claire popping Jamie's shoulder back into place, and downloaded the book.  I knew I had to read it first.  So, even though I technically "saw" Sam first, I "knew" Jamie from the book. And, it's a true and complete love.  For both.  Because how can you not love Sam Heughan?  Further, how can you not love Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser?  It's a lethal combination.  One of them alone is potent enough, but combined?!  Holy shit.  

Why did you need to read it first? 

1 hour ago, Cdh20 said:

Why did you need to read it first? 

I love to read, and I was so captivated by the pilot (I hadn't even heard of the books before) that I just knew I had to read the story.  Usually, I like to read the story first before I see the show/movie.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

I love to read, and I was so captivated by the pilot (I hadn't even heard of the books before) that I just knew I had to read the story.  Usually, I like to read the story first before I see the show/movie.  

I like to read (not love, read about 10 books a year), but I find most people so dissapointed by their fave books' onscreen adaptations, that I have learned it's best to read after, instead of before! 

Back to the talk of characters, I have not ever been in love with a book character, until Jamie Fraser (which came from the show first), this is new territory for me! 

On 8/28/2020 at 6:04 PM, Cdh20 said:

I like to read (not love, read about 10 books a year), but I find most people so dissapointed by their fave books' onscreen adaptations, that I have learned it's best to read after, instead of before! 

What's a recent favorite of yours?

On 8/28/2020 at 6:04 PM, Cdh20 said:

Back to the talk of characters, I have not ever been in love with a book character, until Jamie Fraser (which came from the show first), this is new territory for me! 

My love of book men began with Almanzo Wilder circa age 8, then advanced to Gilbert Blythe around 11, then I moved onto Darcy for awhile...a long while, which was only exacerbated by Matthew MacFadyen's depiction of him.  Jamie Fraser, though.  Pfft.  Blows them all away.  No comparison. Mark me!  Greatest literary man ever written.  

12 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I think you certainly need more testing....watch on!

I'm game for this!  What a horrible task this will be!  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

What's a recent favorite of yours?

My love of book men began with Almanzo Wilder circa age 8, then advanced to Gilbert Blythe around 11, then I moved onto Darcy for awhile...a long while, which was only exacerbated by Matthew MacFadyen's depiction of him.  Jamie Fraser, though.  Pfft.  Blows them all away.  No comparison. Mark me!  Greatest literary man ever written.  

I'm game for this!  What a horrible task this will be!  

Just before I read The Fiery Cross I read The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, & loved it. A friend lent it to me as I had been on a trip to France last summer, & she knew some of the places I had visited were in there!  A few years ago I reread Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth trilogy, in anticipation of a trip to England, where seeing cathedrals, & sheep alleys was fascinating! Another recent favourite was The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.* I think you will see a theme. * My daughter tried to get me to read Pride & Prejudice last summer, but that was a fail, one thing I don't  love is books written long ago, in long-ago speak-ugh! Long ago I read  romance ( Nicholas Sparks, Danielle Steele), mystery (Mary Higgins Clarke & Janet Evanovich), historical romance (Julie Garwood), & would enjoy the first few but those authors tended to be formulaic. My hubby reads 50 books a year, so sometimes he suggests something if he thinks I will like it! 

What is your favourite book? genre? Tv show?

What a horrible task to watch Jamie be brought to life onscreen (everynight)! 

On 9/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, Cdh20 said:

Just before I read The Fiery Cross I read The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, & loved it. A friend lent it to me as I had been on a trip to France last summer, & she knew some of the places I had visited were in there!  A few years ago I reread Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth trilogy, in anticipation of a trip to England, where seeing cathedrals, & sheep alleys was fascinating! Another recent favourite was The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.* I think you will see a theme. * My daughter tried to get me to read Pride & Prejudice last summer, but that was a fail, one thing I don't  love is books written long ago, in long-ago speak-ugh! Long ago I read  romance ( Nicholas Sparks, Danielle Steele), mystery (Mary Higgins Clarke & Janet Evanovich), historical romance (Julie Garwood), & would enjoy the first few but those authors tended to be formulaic. My hubby reads 50 books a year, so sometimes he suggests something if he thinks I will like it! 

What is your favourite book? genre? Tv show?

What a horrible task to watch Jamie be brought to life onscreen (everynight)! 

I will have to check out some of these and add them to my queue!

I'm a history buff nerd.  I have a degree in it from long ago.  I didn't make a career out of it, so most of what I knew is gone.  I love historical fiction.  It's pretty much all I read, with a few biographies tossed in to the mix.  I do love Jane Austen, but I can't read her all of the time.    

• Love 1
On 9/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, SassAndSnacks said:

I will have to check out some of these and add them to my queue!

I'm a history buff nerd.  I have a degree in it from long ago.  I didn't make a career out of it, so most of what I knew is gone.  I love historical fiction.  It's pretty much all I read, with a few biographies tossed in to the mix.  I do love Jane Austen, but I can't read her all of the time.    

Historical fiction is my favourite too😜.  The last one in the Follett series I was mentioning, Column of Fire, is set in the time of Elizabeth & Mary, Queen of Scots, so like Dragonfly in Amber, there is real characters mixed with the fictional ones. Are the Gabaldon ones your favourite books?