Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E15: Robert Downey Jr, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Terry Gilliam, Sara Bareilles

• Start Topic

Together on Graham’s sofa tonight, the stars of new fantasy adventure Dolittle, Iron Man Robert Downey Jr and Oscar-winner Emma Thompson. Also actor Hugh Laurie, who appears in The Personal History of David Copperfield, Monty Python’s Terry Gilliam, director of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, and music from Sara Bareilles, performing She Used to Be Mine from her musical Waitress.

• Love 1

Robert Downey Jr. wasn't as exhausting as he sometimes is. It helped that Terry Gilliam took on that mantle.

Sara Bareilles's song was amazing. Graham has had some real singers on the show lately, and I appreciate that.

I wonder how long it had been since Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson had seen each other. They went to Cambridge together so have know each other for decades.

• Love 3

I think they've crossed paths a lot. And Downey was right they were dating - although that was not his wording (I thought he was channeling Miriam Margolyes there for a moment). Of course they worked together on 'Peter's Friends' (with Brannagh) and 'Sense and Sensibility' where Thompson met her second husband Greg Wise. Probably more but those come to mind without a trip to the IMDB.

That was a fun couch despite the fact that Doolittle got little love so far. But Downey and Thompson are pros. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I thought this was a disappointing episode considering the potential.  Hugh Laurie seemed disinterested and lethargic, and despite their best efforts, Emma Thompson and Robert Downey Jr couldn't save the couch.  There's shot of him when Terry Gilliam comes onstage when he looks totally disengaged.  Too bad, it could have/should have been brilliant.

Total speculation, but I do hope it was not due to an underlying mental health issue.