Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: It's Tricky

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Rainbow wants to battle stereotypes at school after she joins the track team and feels like her friends only see her skin color. Meanwhile, Alicia and Paul battle stereotypes of their own, and Santamonica tries to be cool enough to hang out with Rainbow's friends.

Airs January 14, 2020.

Denise and Tamika giving each other the once over was amazing. 

Oh Bow, dont let stereotypes make you stop doing what you love, be it because your doing what people dont think you should do, or what they DO think you should do! I loved Paul complaining about being stereotyped as a bad father, while also following up with it not being as bad as the stereotypes that Alicia deals with every time. But I was with Paul, that teacher was a jerk and it can be damaging to so aggressively perpetuate gender stereotypes that only women should be active parents, which is harmful to moms AND dads. 

Glad that Bow found some new friends!   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

But I was with Paul, that teacher was a jerk and it can be damaging to so aggressively perpetuate gender stereotypes that only women should be active parents, which is harmful to moms AND dads. 

I thought the Barbara was a jerk at first, but I like that she was also kinda right about the double standards of care we accept from Dads. Paul wanted to be rewarded and praised for bringing his kids to school on time all the other days, as if (1) bringing your kids to school on time every day isn't what you're supposed to do and (2) Moms ever get rewarded or praised for bringing their kids to school on time. Paul wanted to be praised for making a kid a drink he didn't want, making the class switch from paper towels to cloth towels (and don't think I didn't notice that he didn't mention who was going to now have to do laundry for the class every day or where that would happen), and helping a kid with his zipper. Helping the students and cleaning up are things Moms are just expected to do every day without acknowledgment. Does Paul notice them? Did Paul ever thank any of them? They are there every day. Paul helped out ONE day and expected to be praised for being a great dad. He was more interested in soothing his own ego than actually helping out at the school. And when he didn't get the praise he craved, after ONE day, he quit.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Do people actually eat banana peels? Bleh.

On the show, Paul was just covering up for his mistake, but the answer is, yes.

Banana peels are not poisonous. In fact, they're edible, and packed with nutrients. "Banana peel is eaten in many parts of the world, though [it's] not very common in the West," Flores said. "It contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium. It also contains some fiber and protein." According to a 2011 article in the journal of Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, banana peels also have "various bioactive compounds like polyphenols, carotenoids and others."

It is important to carefully wash a banana peel before eating it due to the pesticides that may be sprayed in banana groves.

Banana peels are usually served cooked, boiled or fried, though they can be eaten raw or put in a blender with other fruits. They are not as sweet as banana flesh. Riper peels will be sweeter than unripe ones. 

According to this article:

That's right, you can eat banana peels. And not only are they edible — they're also good for you.

If you live in the US, you're probably used to tossing banana peels in the trash. But people in other countries, including India, have been taking advantage of their nutritional benefits for decades.

While a banana's flesh is soft and sweet, the skin is thick, fibrous, and slightly bitter. To eat the peel, you can either blend it into smoothies or fry, bake, or boil them for at least 10 minutes. Heat breaks down the skin's fiber and loosens up that tough texture, making the peel easier to chew and digest.

• Useful 2

Ok, I love they pulled out 'the prep' and 'the w**' which were absolutely time appropriate.  I remember trying to teach a friend how to do the w** but it was to 'Eric B is President.'  That had the best beat-cadence for doing the w**.

I am glad Rainbow made some friends and was really getting into the groove with them.  I absolutely adore how they shut Santi down.  Even though they've toned Santi down a lot, I think this was a pitch perfect moment for her 'see me, see me' personality to resurface.  Younger sisters do like to show out in front of their older sister's friends.

That said, I just really smiled at the little moment where Johan was trying to teach Santi how to break dance.  And then she did the little giggle at the end and said 'do it again, Johan.'  That moment just felt so little kid authentic, not tv sitcom kid at all.

• Love 8