Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Labels

• Start Topic

Bette feels guilty about lying to Angie; some unexpected news throws Shane for a major loop; Alice, Gigi and Nat find common ground; Dani and Sophie deal with a bombshell dropped on them by Dani's father; Finley bonds with Tess and Micah grows closer to José.

Original airdate: 1/5/2020

So it seems Shane and her ex broke up because the ex wanted a child and Shane doesn't want to be a parent.  So now the ex is back and thinks she can have Shane in her life and a child, too.  That is classic denial and wishful thinking. 

Alice and the sister-wives...what could possibly go wrong?  I am totally rolling my eyes here.  There is no chance this won't end up in a huge mess with lots of hurt feelings.

Still not warming up to Sophie.  She can't seem to get it through her head that Dani is going through a major upheaval with her father and their relationship., and needs to process that, as well as some understanding and a shoulder to cry on.  Sophie expects too much.  Her father is obviously important to Dani and they love each other and have been close for years.  This kind of discord is difficult to experience, but Sophie is expecting Dani to just leave her dad in the dust without a backwards glance.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Still not warming up to Sophie.  She can't seem to get it through her head that Dani is going through a major upheaval with her father and their relationship., and needs to process that, as well as some understanding and a shoulder to cry on.  Sophie expects too much.  Her father is obviously important to Dani and they love each other and have been close for years.  This kind of discord is difficult to experience, but Sophie is expecting Dani to just leave her dad in the dust without a backwards glance.

Sophie expects too much?  Sophie was going to sign the pre-nup.  Dani was the one who broke it off with her father, without Sophie's urging.  Dani is the one who refused to talk  with Sophie about what she was going through after Sophie repeatedly offered her shoulder.

It's not as if Sophie is some stranger to the situation.  Dani's father doesn't want Sophie to be part of Dani's life.   His attitude affects both of them.

• Love 1

I'm sorry, but I also find Sophie tiresome. Dani is starting to see her her father will never accept them as a couple. This is a very complex & painful situation for Dani, so Sophie needs to give her time to process it.  Dani will get there.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2020 at 11:12 PM, buckboard said:

It's not as if Sophie is some stranger to the situation.  Dani's father doesn't want Sophie to be part of Dani's life.   His attitude affects both of them.

It does affect both of them, but not in the same way.  To Sophie, Dani's dad is just an asshole and Sophie can just write him off and move on.  To Dani, he is the father who raised her and whom she loves.  It is a lot more meaningful, and a hell of a lot more painful, for Dani to deal with her father's attitude.  She can't just write him off and move on. 

• Love 3

Oh, Tess! I'm sad but not surprised that Lena's cheating is what got her to fall off the wagon. I'm guessing that the Tess/Finley hookup will just be a rebound thing rather than turning into a long term serious relationship. Tess is definitely hurting too much to jump into a new relationship right away (and that's before we even get into the fact that Finley's priest girlfriend was right - she has a lot of healing/work to do before she's ready for a serious relationship).

Dani's dad is an ass and she is just now finally realizing the extent of his assitude. It's hard to come to terms with the fact that someone you love is such an asshole. It's easier for Sophie because all he's ever been to her is her girlfriend's jerk father who doesn't really like her or accept her. But for Dani, this is the dad who loved her and was there for her when her mother died.

We haven't seen any of Dani's other family members so it might be her and her dad now. Sophie, on the other hand, has lots of loving relatives so I don't think she fully understands what it is going to mean to Dani to end her relationship with her dad. Even if Dani does have other family, I'm guessing there will be some who side with her dad which means that Dani will also bear the guilt of causing a rift in her family. This is all a lose-lose situation for her.

Sophie is lucky to have such a great family, but I've seen firsthand that sometimes people who have really good relationships with their family don't get how painful and complicated it is for people who don't have that. Part of Dani will always love her dad, even knowing what a jerk he is and how much he has disappointed her. That's not something you get over right away.

But where Sophie really lost me was when she kept demanding that Dani talk about how she felt and what she was thinking. I get that she wanted to be there for Dani, but not everyone wants to talk about how they're feeling right away. Some people need time to process it before they can articulate it, and that's okay. Dani doesn't have to figure out her feelings about her dad on Sophie's time table. If she needs time to process everything, she's allowed to do that.

So is that husband going to just follow Bette around everywhere she goes to ask her about having an affair with his wife? I'm sure the video is going to look bad (and go viral), but that was definitely a mother's instinct - DO NOT TOUCH MY CHILD!

• Love 1

I am glad this show is back, but it's got issues. Did anyone else catch how that Model X changed colors throughout the day? Like - seriously, you can't keep consistency on a car your main character is driving?

#nitpicky