Type keyword(s) to search

Mixed-ish vs. Black-ish

marieYOTZ
  • Start Topic

I started out watching Mixed-ish and worked my way back to Black-ish (and have started on Grown-ish, but not very far in...) 

All caught up on Mixed-ish, but on Black-ish just finished season 3 episode 8, “Being Bow-racial”. In that episode, at least, the character of Bow’s father seems believably linked to who we see in Mixed-ish. The Black-ish version of Bow’s mom really doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the version of her mom we see in Mixed-ish. On this show she comes across as by far the more reasonable and realistic of the two. 

I also struggle a bit with how the  Bow we see in Mixed-ish could turn into the adult Bow we see in Black-ish in certain episodes, like wanting a big ole ring for their vow renewal/first marriage - but I think that’s just a factor of watching the two shows more or less simultaneously. It’s not that hard to convince myself that if i watched a tv show of 13 year old me and current me at the same time, I’d be wondering “how’d that kid turn into that woman?!”

Curious about the opinions of other viewers of both shows, so started a topic to give a general space to discuss

• Love 2

So weird, I literally was watching old episodes of Black-ish with Bow's family this morning. I can actually see all the kids growing up to their adult versions. 

Alicia is entirely different, though -- to a striking degree. It makes me wonder how they'll approach another appearance from Black-ish Alicia. Will they just course correct her to align her more with the more mainstream Lawyer Alicia on Mixed-ish?

• Love 1

I like this show a lot, and as far as the casting goes, they really nailed the 30 years ago versions of everyone except Bow’s mother. I love the job that Tika Sumpter is doing with the role; it’s just that she doesn’t seem like the younger version of Anna Deveare Smith. Not just in looks (the more obvious difference), but also the personality and mannerisms. My guess is that Blackish will likely recast the older version, since she is barely a recurring character on that show.

im also enjoying the new characters. Mom’s Sister and Dad’s Father  ( I’m sorry, it’s late and I’m completely blanking on the character’s names).

I’m not sure Mixedish will last as long as Blackish, but I’ll enjoy for however long we have it.

• Love 2

Great idea for a topic!   I agree that the casting has been top notch even though I did  have reservations about MPG as the dad.  As for the Alicia in Black-ish being more "Earth Mother" than the Alicia on Mixed-ish, I fan wave it as that she is finally able to embrace that side now that she is retired (presumably).  On Mixed-ish, she has to be the breadwinner and thus has to lean into the more conservative side of dressing and acting.   Whereas Paul doesn't have the same constraints.   In Black-ish, she can fully lean into her commune side.  

I really hope they have an episode that focuses on Bow  getting  her period for the first  time because that was such a great episode on Black-ish when Diane got hers and Bow references back to how her mom celebrated it. 

And one question I have - has Denise ever been shown on Black-ish?

• Love 3
On 12/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, jmonique said:

Alicia is entirely different, though -- to a striking degree. It makes me wonder how they'll approach another appearance from Black-ish Alicia. Will they just course correct her to align her more with the more mainstream Lawyer Alicia on Mixed-ish?

I stopped watching Black-ish before Alicia showed up but this is the same problem they have on Young Sheldon. On TBBT, Sheldon’s dad was a cheating alcoholic asshole who died young. On YS he is a kind but clueless dad who doesn’t get Sheldon but is loving to his family and wife. It’s why I just pretend the Sheldon on YS grows up to be a completely different person.

• Love 3