Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Triggered in Thailand

• Start Topic

On 12/13/2019 at 11:28 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

The ladies weren’t alone they had a film crew with them. What was Leanne expecting to happen, They would be lured into a dark corner and attacked ON Camera with everyone watching? Let’s be realistic here no one trying to rape rob and or murder you wants to be ON camera or when you are with 5 other women and a WHOLE freaking filming crew   ... doesn’t  matter what country you are in this is a universal truth. Just like NO country is 100 percent safe not even In America. Yet to try to act like this district is crime riddled and people are just waiting for you to stumble into their trap is ridiculous...  lol the ladies at no point were in “Real”danger. 

I think there might be some super sketch places where it is dangerous even with a film crew.  I used to work for a major media company and our travel and expense policy outlined that in some places it was an allowable expense to bribe the local officials for protection.  I don't think Thailand is one of those places though, lol.  

On 12/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, SheTalksShit said:

Oh LeaAnn said something about her jewelry? Maybe that's why Kary was pissed off, then. I guess that makes sense. It seems like Kary went way more on about LeaAnn's product than LeaAnn did about hers, but if she did that in response to what LeaAnn said about her jewelry, then I get it more. 

IDK. LeaAnn shouldn't have said what she said, but of all the things you can say to insult someone, IMO, ethnicity is not the most insulting. At least, it's not to me. If anything, I'd be like, "Really? You've spent all this time with me and my ethnicity is all you got? I must be doing pretty good, then!" bc in my mind, there's much deeper shit you could insult someone about. 

IDK. In my mind, in order to really insult someone, you gotta really touch on something they're insecure about. At least, that's how it is for me. I have a lot of insecurities, but my ethnicity is simply not one of them. So, if someone insulted that, I wouldn't even care, I'd be more amused than anything else. 

Very easy to say when you are of Western European heritage and most likely present as white and live in the modern age.  Your ethnicity gives you privilege.  That's like saying you wouldn't be upset if someone called you rich.

On 12/17/2019 at 8:30 PM, MrsWitter said:

I appreciate your inquisitiveness on this subject and your desire to discuss it further with friends. What I will say, as I’ve tried to note before, is these issues are complex. I can’t give you easy answers to the questions you asked and I think it’s hard for anyone to get a “firm grip” on the issues without more reading and independent thinking. Given that economic theory should be focusing on privilege because our economy perpetuates and holds up privilege, I would love for you to read more. I’m going to post a couple of very basic articles that I think might help. They are  Privilege 101 and I think it’s important to recognize, as one article points out, that examining privilege is its own area of theory and study. These are by no means complete or even the best out there. They’re just a starting point.

https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/what-is-privilege/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/feeling-our-way/201702/the-privilege-not-understanding-privilege?amp

Also, to more directly answer questions on prostitution and sex work, I think this analysis of Amsterdam is useful. It tackles some of the questions you asked about race and sex work, but it also highlights very clearly how privilege manifests within the sex industry.  For instance, it is much more common for non-Dutch women to work with pimps, which, dependent on the relationship with the pimp, complicates the notion of consent.

https://www.humanityinaction.org/knowledge_detail/the-exotic-other-in-prostitution-ethnic-fault-lines-in-amsterdams-sex-industry/

“Most women will tell you that they work for themselves and legally this is true. When a sex worker registers with the local municipality, she or he is treated as an independent business owner by the government. In reality, however, many women are working for a pimp. This is especially true of the two-thirds non-Dutch sex worker population.“

It is very kind of you to do all this emotional labor.

• Love 4