Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Basic Training

Bort

Max skips a grade ... and starts middle school. Ramona trains to defeat the reigning champ of a high-stakes sandwich-eating contest.

Airdate: Tuesday, June 2, 2020

This one was the weakest of the second half of the last season for me. Max thinks he's smarter than everyone else and often uses that as license to insult everyone else. He's very off-center in his taste in clothes, hobbies, etc. And now he's skipped a grade so he'll be with all new kids 1-2 years older and at an age where that often means an entirely different stage of development physically/mentally/emotionally. That puts him in a situation beyond "quirky kid may need to wait a while to find quirky friends who appreciate his quirkiness." He could well be waiting all the way through middle and high school before he finds a friend, and I can't believe it didn't occur to DJ to do anything but brag.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Panopticon said:

This one was the weakest of the second half of the last season for me. Max thinks he's smarter than everyone else and often uses that as license to insult everyone else. He's very off-center in his taste in clothes, hobbies, etc. And now he's skipped a grade so he'll be with all new kids 1-2 years older and at an age where that often means an entirely different stage of development physically/mentally/emotionally. That puts him in a situation beyond "quirky kid may need to wait a while to find quirky friends who appreciate his quirkiness." He could well be waiting all the way through middle and high school before he finds a friend, and I can't believe it didn't occur to DJ to do anything but brag.

I agree, shows have done that in the past, and it's either: "Kid out of water" or they just find themselves through trial and error. Here Max just is completely screwed up, if anything, have him just take a few classes at a higher level and then go from there. 

• Love 1

This would have been a really good time for them to pull out a reference to the episode where DJ and Kimmy get way too made up for school in order to fit in, although I think that was them going to high school. That mirrored the situation way more than the revisionist story that they told about how DJ and Kimmy became friends. Maybe because Lori Laughlin played a big role in that episode in the past?

• Love 3
On 6/14/2020 at 3:32 PM, sara416 said:

This would have been a really good time for them to pull out a reference to the episode where DJ and Kimmy get way too made up for school in order to fit in, although I think that was them going to high school. That mirrored the situation way more than the revisionist story that they told about how DJ and Kimmy became friends. Maybe because Lori Laughlin played a big role in that episode in the past?

Yes, I thought of that too.  Most shows don't have the luxury of a built-in backstory that fits the situation, and that we all actually saw. 

And I swear we have gotten at least three stories about how Kimmy and DJ became friends over the course of both shows.

1 minute ago, methodwriter85 said:

DJ and Kimmy were friends long before that episode, though. I don't think there's ever been an official origin story. It's less annoying to me than them trimming DJ's well established 1977 birthyear by two-three years.

Not as annoying as people CONSTANTLY parking their cars in the backyard when there is a DAMN street that seems to always have space to park. I know the house hasn't had a garage since episode 8 of the original series, but come on! Plus, I'm still confused on how Steph backed the car into the kitchen when she KNOWS how to drive a car now and is tall enough to reach the brake and gas pedals. 

50 minutes ago, readster said:

I'm still confused on how Steph backed the car into the kitchen when she KNOWS how to drive a car now and is tall enough to reach the brake and gas pedals. 

And knows that R does not mean radio. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, readster said:

Not as annoying as people CONSTANTLY parking their cars in the backyard when there is a DAMN street that seems to always have space to park. I know the house hasn't had a garage since episode 8 of the original series, but come on! Plus, I'm still confused on how Steph backed the car into the kitchen when she KNOWS how to drive a car now and is tall enough to reach the brake and gas pedals. 

She was angry that no one wanted the dinner she fixed. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, methodwriter85 said:

DJ and Kimmy were friends long before that episode, though. I don't think there's ever been an official origin story. It's less annoying to me than them trimming DJ's well established 1977 birthyear by two-three years.

Back in season 1 of the original show, there was an episode where DJ got stuck in advanced classes and was split up from Kimmy. I don't remember the details, but I am sure she told a story about she and Kimmy becoming friends.