Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter 13 - A Shenckman Equivocates

Another good episode. 
Lots of laughs and chuckles—although, at the end…verklempt. 😣😢

I loved the way we could hear Bob Odenkirk’s voice before we saw him (and didn’t know he would be there).

I appreciated how it was demonstrated that giving voice to health concerns —rather than summoning demons— can be a good thing with regards to catching small things before they become insurmountable.

And it was a nice arc for Norman from tone-deaf codger to caring friend. 

• Love 2

This show is still good but is definitely getting darker. Last season and the first couple of episodes of this season were hilarious to people my age because we could laugh at Sandy's and Norman's age-related problems, but a cancer diagnosis is hard to laugh at.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Paloma said:

This show is still good but is definitely getting darker. Last season and the first couple of episodes of this season were hilarious to people my age because we could laugh at Sandy's and Norman's age-related problems, but a cancer diagnosis is hard to laugh at.

That's true, especially when you know many with that diagnosis.

I thought the dark humor (?) with the doctor out of place but also the loose medical diagnosis without a biopsy. It's not ER I realize but they don't have to show it, just say it.

I watched the last episode of season one, to see something I couldn't remember, IDK, I thought the timing and humor was a bit better season one. The ending was anyway. I hope there is a season 3, but this one seemed a little less to me than season one.  Grace and Frankie had what some fans considered "better years" than others too but the chemistry is always there. It is here too.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2019 at 7:38 AM, Paloma said:

I'm guessing the rationale was in part that many people who live long enough get some form of cancer --even if it's just a squamous skin cancer-- and that it's the survivors watching, and we survivors will enjoy the jokes.
But now that you mention it, yeah, my 3 kids who took care of me during my stage IV cancer would not be laughing, and while they are ages 30-40, I don't think the target audience is just senior citizens. 
So I guess the relatives of cancer survivors are supposed to identify with Sandy's daughter and his student who overheard his diagnosis, and no, the survivors' friends and relatives might not laugh at the cancer jokes. Sorry. 😥😢

• Love 4

Agreed. The story definitely took a somber turn and now I find myself less enthused about going forward with it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. The story definitely took a somber turn and now I find myself less enthused about going forward with it. 

No spoilers, but I would say it is worth staying with it for the few remaining episodes.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show so much. Without question my favourite, funniest moments are the ones between Sandy and Norman. I was very sad to hear that Alan Arkin might not be in season 3. If it's true, it will significantly impact my enjoyment of the show. 

Another fly in my ointment is Mindy. I just don't enjoy her or find her charismatic. Probably lots of people love her, but I don't find her funny or likeable. It's weird how that happens sometimes. 

Having had 2 different types of cancer, I don't mind watching a cancer storyline. Given the tone of the show, I expect it to continue to be funny. I've always believed that the worse something is, the more important it is to be able to laugh at it and about it. It's so cathartic. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Another fly in my ointment is Mindy. I just don't enjoy her or find her charismatic. Probably lots of people love her, but I don't find her funny or likeable.

I have the same problem with Mindy. There just doesn't seem to be anything interesting about the character, especially in comparison with Sandy and Norman. It's almost as if the writers thought they needed a bland character to make the others stand out more.

• Love 2