Type keyword(s) to search

Where On The Internets To Read Comic Book Reviews

• Start Topic

So I'm a relatively new comics reader.  And I'm TOTALLY getting into Saga, East of West, and Sex Criminals (and maybe Nowhere Men and The Manhattan Projects) (and having previously read Y: The Last Man, Scott Pilgrim, Fables, Chew, and a few others).  

What I'd like are some recommendations for where to read interesting/amusing comic reviews.  There seem to be a lot of sites out there, and I'm not keyed into that world enough to know where to start.  Any ideas?

I have started going to comicvine.com to read some reviews. I listen to their podcast which is long (2 - 3 hours a week) and I have gotten lots of recommendations from there.

It sounds like you are reading the ones I would recommend like Saga and Hawkeye.

I like superhero comics. Some of the ones that are pretty good right now:

• Ultimate Comics Spider-Man : some stuff happened and a new young kid named Miles Morales took over being Spider-Man.
  • Daredevil: the current run has great art and it's a more upbeat than that character usually is. If you liked Hawkeye, try this also.
  • Batwoman : not really a huge part of the Batman universe so you don't have to worry about crossovers.
  • Alex+Ada: a new one about a guy that was given a sex android as a gift, more serious than it sounds. jury still out for me on this one
  • Pretty Deadly: i just started but I hear good things about this one. It's a western.

@Spynotebook -- I had read good things about the new Daredevil somewhere-or-other, but when I looked on Comixology, I couldn't immediately figure out where the "new" Daredevil started.  Is there a place you would recommend starting?

Start at the beginning of the Mark Waid run: http://www.comixology.com/Daredevil-Vol-3/comics-series/6209

Marvel's numbering for their different volumes is very annoying. DC at least would have labeled it as "Daredevil (2012 series)" or something, which is easier to find than "Daredevil Vol 3."

They're relaunching it again in a few months as Daredevil Vol 4, even though the only difference will be a new location (San Francisco, IIRC) and a higher price. Presumably we'll get to Vol 5 by 2016.

• Love 1

Check out House to Astonish, from Paul O’Brien. It focuses on the X-titles (he reads shitty Bendis X-men so you don't have to!). He did the late and lamented X-Axis Reviews website, back in the day. His reviews are intelligent and provide quite a bit of depth, much more than you get from your average Comic Book Resources review.

Also the site has a good podcast as well.

• Love 1

The Comic Geek Speak podcast is a good catch all resource with a focus more toward superhero comics, but they'll also look at other types as well. They have a bunch of different types of episodes that are useful in knowing what's out there. In their Previews episodes, they sit down with the monthly preview guide page by page and just point out things that sound interesting. In their Off-the-Rack episodes, they review one Marvel issue, one DC issue, and one from another publisher.  They go in depth with a Book of the Month, have general Comic Talk discussions, review comics movies, do interviews, go to conventions, and other types of random episodes.  There'll be something in there for you to pick and choose from.