Type keyword(s) to search

Lafayette Reynolds: Post, Post, Hooker, Post, Post

One of my favorite characters on the show is Lafayette "Lala" Reynolds, the fry cook at Bellfleur's (formerly Merlotte's) who is/was also a part-time drug dealer, hustler and a medium who also happens to be gay. Even though he's made some big mistakes (agreeing to let Tara be turned into a vampire against her will, to name one), his humor, compassion and all-around fierceness more than make up for them. The thread title is my homage to one of his lines from (IIRC) season 3: "Ring, ring hooker, ring, ring," which was his ringtone.

On the romance front, Lafayette's relationship with Jesus, the nurse who cared for Lala's mama Ruby was very sweet. As much as I loved them together, that's how much I hated the way it ended, with Jesus' dying at Lala's hands, because of Marnie, the witch from Season 5. However, things might be looking up on that score, if the chemistry with James, Jessica's boyfriend, is any indication. I think that the two will not only become lovers, James could become Lala's maker. Lafayette asked Eric to turn him in Season two, but the timing wasn't right them, but with the show ending, if it was to happen anytime, it could be this season.

Share your thoughts on all things Lafayette here.  

• Love 1

I love all things Lafayette!  I especially love it when he's dancing around and just being silly!  He has the biggest heart of all of the characters, and the most common sense. 

• Love 1

One of the most disappointing aspects of the finale-and,TBH, most of the season-was its neglect of Lafayette, whether it was individually or his romance with James. it seemed like Lala's main purpose was to be mixed up in Tara and Lettie Mae's storyline, which, like said storyline, served no purpose at all. Instead of wasting so much time on Bill, his umpteen flashbacks and his relationship with Sookie, I would much rather have seen Lala-based scenes such as a reunion with Jesus, catching up with his mama Ruby Jean/seeing how she and James would have gotten along (if at all), Lala and Arlene at some of James' and Keith's gigs and Lala and James getting closer. Given Lafayette's popularity and his importance to the show as a whole, his being reduced to a dialogue-free cameo was a cheap shot. 

• Love 4

Having finally watched the final 2 episodes (I was dreading them), I am so incredibly disappointed and frankly cheesed off how they completely ignored Lafayette.  His storyline with James was my favourite thing about the beginning of the season and it was just tossed away in favour of endless, tedious shots of Sookie and Bill making out, crying, staring off into space, thinking, feeling, and most importantly--boring the audience silly. Thanks for nothing.

• Love 3

I agree. I mean, Lala was one of what, half a dozen characters who appeared in the first episode and survived all the way through to the last. His character in the books died at the beginning of the second novel! He lived on the show because the audience liked him so much. He deserved a better, more fleshed-out ending than he got, for sure.

• Love 3

One of my favorite Lafayette scenes is also one of my favorite overall scenes from the show.

After he's been released from being held captive in the Fangtasia basement, Lafayette is having some severe PTSD. He starts to have a breakdown in the kitchen after a confrontation with Pam, and Terry, who understands PTSD all too well, helps him through it. It was beautiful...can't find a clip on YouTube though :(

• Love 6

Nelson was such a good actor. He could be humorous and silly, but convey fear and compassion so well sometimes in the same scene. He had a very natural chemistry with the cast it was added to the believability. 

• Love 2