Type keyword(s) to search

So You Think You Can Dance Elsewhere

• Start Topic

I hope it is ok that I opened this new thread, I just wanted us to have somewhere to talk about SYTYCD in other countries.

I am very much loving the Australian format (I am a few months behind and am spoiled as to who wins, but that doesn't bother me), is anyone else watching it, has anyone else watched?

Any other countries? I am always open to watch more of this show (and in fact most of the non US ones have really impressed me).

• Love 1
(edited)

I caught the Australian Season 4 a few weeks after it ended and about the time that TWoP was closing down, so I haven't had anyone to discuss it with.  I may need a bit of memory jogging.  I haven't been searching out other countries versions recently, but I think Poland was one I was impressed with a while back.  There was a thread for international versions back at TWoP and I appreciated when enterprising posters provided links.  Otherwise I'd probably have missed them all. 

Can anyone remember which country's version Tyce was a judge on and then stole from it (almost whole cloth except for the song) the Eli, Eli routine he did Season 9, Top 6 Episode with Chehon and Kathryn?

New Edit:

So I did an exhaustive search (by that I mean it took a long time & I'm exhausted) and confirmed that it was Season 5 of the Ukraine version that Tyce's Eli, Eli choreo was inspired by (to be nice about it) although he never gave any indication that the idea was anything but his own brainwave.  I tried and tried to find a link to a youtube, but they all seem to be dead ends at this point. 

So, I answered my own question.  There was quite a stink about it at the time.  The original choreographer was a man named Radu Poklitaru who was both a judge and a choreographer that year. Tyce was a guest judge when the piece in question was performed and gave both the choreography and the dancers effusive praise. 

Edited by Anothermi

I'm surprised it's no longer airing - I thought it was doing well in the ratings. :(

I don't have a source but I remember hearing it had something to do with Bell Media taking full ownership of CTV and dropping all CTV original programming, which included SYTYCD Canada.  Not sure if anyone else can confirm this?

The archived announcements really don't make it clear what happened.  I blame Leah Miller.  I hated her so much that I'm still relieved not to have to go through the torture of watching her -- which, when you consider how much I loved so much of the show (and definitely preferred the choreo to the American version) says a lot about how egregiously awful she was. 

• Love 3

I remember hearing the same thing about the cancellation being a Bell Media takeover thing. 

The announcements were just vague enough for me to create a conspiracy theory around Nigel Lithgoe and his nasty little plan to steal our choreographers and punish Canada for having the gall to broadcast a better show than his. 

• Love 3

There was a thread for international versions back at TWoP and I appreciated when enterprising posters provided links.  Otherwise I'd probably have missed them all. 

Can anyone remember which country's version Tyce was a judge on and then stole from it (almost whole cloth except for the song) the Eli, Eli routine he did Season 9, Top 6 Episode with Chehon and Kathryn?

New Edit:

So I did an exhaustive search (by that I mean it took a long time & I'm exhausted) and confirmed that it was Season 5 of the Ukraine version that Tyce's Eli, Eli choreo was inspired by (to be nice about it) although he never gave any indication that the idea was anything but his own brainwave.  I tried and tried to find a link to a youtube, but they all seem to be dead ends at this point.

The Australia and Poland versions are great (except perhaps the first two seasons of Poland), and I love the Netherlands as well. To illustrate, I'll post some of my favorite Dutch routines here as soon as I figure out how to imbed them.

As to the Ukraine/Tyce clips, you should have asked for help, since it only took me a few minutes to find them (as I know where to look). Incidentally, the dance in question was from Season 4 rather than 5, and was performed by Katya Belyavskaya and Rodion Farhshatov.

Anyway, people can draw their own conclusions about Tyce from the interviews you mentioned, and I'll post them too, once I learn how.

• Love 1

YAY, SyracuseMug!  Thanks for all that. I still haven't got the hang of translating sites.  I'd love to have just links if embedding proves too much.  

I apologize for not remembering if you were one of the generous posters-of-links back on TWoP.  Shows how easy it is to take someone's work for granted. >.<

I do/did appreciate all who provided links. 

YAY, SyracuseMug!  Thanks for all that. I still haven't got the hang of translating sites.  I'd love to have just links if embedding proves too much.  

I apologize for not remembering if you were one of the generous posters-of-links back on TWoP.  Shows how easy it is to take someone's work for granted. >.<

I do/did appreciate all who provided links. 

I was more of a TWoP lurker than poster, but I also hang out on IDF, and the imbedding code I use there didn't work for me here. However, I went to the FAQs, and apparently all I have to do is post the links and they will imbed automatically. So I'll start with my respective favorite Dutch routines from seasons 2-6, and then I can add some more later.

And here is your Ukrainian clip (the dance starts at 2:07, with Tyce after that), followed by his version and two eye-raising interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARStyjXCfLA

• Love 2

I wish the Netherlands would give Dan back - or at least share him. He's still my favourite guest judge.

Amen to that!!! 

With the number of comments in various threads about "I miss (fill in blank)", I really wish there was a disgruntled former employee who would spill the beans about the behind the scenes shenanigans that resulted in Wade, Dan, Melanie Lapatin, Cicely and Olesa etc leaving the show.  It really might be simply, they're all too busy, but I'd prefer there to be dirt.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish Dan's Dutch show, the Ultimate Dance Battle, was still on the air.  THAT was a dancing joy - teams of dancers, selected through an audition process, each team living in a seperate house, each team under a choreographer competing in different styles.  They were fantastic choreographers and the dancers were really cool.  It only ran two seasons, but I really wanted it to be picked up in the States or Canada.  When Dan judged SYTYCda it was going strong in the Netherlands and I desperately hoped we would get it in Canada. A couple of selections (not particular faves, just what I could find on Youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8BeKto6Bhs

In this one, you can see the competing choreographers comment on another choreographers' work in boot camp.  This is the choreographer who won season 1 and famously danced in (one of?) her last competition number:

A particular fave (I wish I could find the one they danced to Agnes Obel's Riverside, it was so awesome):

Edited by crowceilidh

Does anyone know if Nigel has a stake in the SYTYCD franchise or only the U.S. show?  I'm curious why Dan Karaty would have no problem appearing in the Canadian and Dutch (possibly other) versions of the show and not a peep about him on the U.S. version because, he is truly, one of the best judges in the history of the show.  Now, I wouldn't let him choreograph a wedding chicken dance, but as a judge, he ruled!!!

• Love 3

SyracuseMug, thank you for posting the Ukrainian clips. I ended up watching a couple more of Rodion's dances just because he's so fun. Not the best technical dancer, but so personable and eloquent - I don't remember seeing anyone like that on the US show. I also love that on the Ukrainian version the bootees get flowers. It's an old-school Russian/Soviet tradition to give flowers to performers after their "last bow"; I'm glad they've stuck with it. 

• Love 2

SyracuseMug, thank you for posting the Ukrainian clips. I ended up watching a couple more of Rodion's dances just because he's so fun. Not the best technical dancer, but so personable and eloquent - I don't remember seeing anyone like that on the US show. I also love that on the Ukrainian version the bootees get flowers. It's an old-school Russian/Soviet tradition to give flowers to performers after their "last bow"; I'm glad they've stuck with it. 

This is my favorite dance from Rodion, and one of my favorites overall. He danced it with Basil Kozar on the Season 4 finale, and it was choreographed by Tatiana Denisova, one of the judges on the panel. Here, the two guys are portraying the same character, a sick and dying man. Basil represents his physical body, and Rodion his spirit or consciousness. I thought it was a brilliant concept. It begins around 1:54.

I wish I could find the one they danced to Agnes Obel's Riverside, it was so awesome

Is this it? TUDB had several dancers who also appeared on the Dutch SYTYCD. Here I saw Anna Alicia from S4, and Stefano (sp) from S3.

• Love 2

Wow - I wish I had known about the Ukranian show before...this is good   I just wish I understood what they were saying, although I guess it doesn't really matter.

Love that guy.

This is my favorite dance from Rodion, and one of my favorites overall. He danced it with Basil Kozar on the Season 4 finale, and it was choreographed by Tatiana Denisova, one of the judges on the panel. Here, the two guys are portraying the same character, a sick and dying man. Basil represents his physical body, and Rodion his spirit or consciousness. I thought it was a brilliant concept. It begins around 1:54.

Loved it! 

Wow - I wish I had known about the Ukranian show before...this is good   I just wish I understood what they were saying, although I guess it doesn't really matter.

The show seems to be a hodgepodge of Ukrainian and Russian, so you'd have to speak both to understand everything. I only understand the Russian parts.

To be fair, I think that routine also works because it's Lisa who is awesome, and Nico - who is the sex (and my favourite SYTYCD winner) overall. As mentioned above, I would shudder to have this crop of children attempt something like that.

Agreed, Nico is the sex!! But DAYUM, I just watched a series of SYTYCD-Canada pieces by Jaeblaze and Nico -- holy shit Canada was hyper-sexual!!

This is season 3, week ONE!!

(@kechara I moved the conversation, we're getting off topic over there :) )

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

Sometime, when I have time, I'm just going to YouTube the whole thing.  I loved this show so much.

I really do want to do a legal-sources rewatch of some of the early seasons, US and international both. We've already got the US Season 1 YouTube list. If anyone assembles a similar list for another nation's SYTYCD, please PM me!

Agreed, Nico is the sex!! But DAYUM, I just watched a series of SYTYCD-Canada pieces by Jaeblaze and Nico -- holy shit Canada was hyper-sexual!!

This is season 3, week ONE!!

(@kechara I moved the conversation, we're getting off topic over there :) )

I loved that dance and I loved Hani as a competitor.  I rewatched the critiques as well and got so angry - again - because the judges were telling Hani he would go far and the Canadian voting public booted him after that dance.  

In my reviews of SYTYCD-Canada I found this routine.  Honestly, sometimes I just skip the video when I see it's "contemporary" because the current season is making me so weary but this one is pretty freaking amazing.

• Love 2

You Can Dance: Po prostu tańcz! - SYTYCD Poland S8 is back in the spring 2015. I posted the links to last three-four seasons on TWoP and I will post S8 links here.

official site: http://youcandance.tvn.pl/

lots of videos from season 6 and 7 (auditions, routines etc) http://youcandance.tvn.pl/wideo/

Season 7 Top 2 couple dance - Brian and Ania http://youcandance.tvn.pl/wideo/1,1,ania-i-brian-hip-hop,362308.html

Edited by beata
  • Love 1

In my reviews of SYTYCD-Canada I found this routine.  Honestly, sometimes I just skip the video when I see it's "contemporary" because the current season is making me so weary but this one is pretty freaking amazing.

I followed SYTYCD Canada and was amazed at the talent there. Too bad they shelved it after 4 seasons. One of my favorites was Melissa Mitro, runner up Season 4. She received 7 standing ovations from the judges over the period of the show. I was wondering if that has ever happened in any other location.  She has a fan page on facebook, Melissa Mitro - So You Think You Can Dance Canada Fan Page, and just posted a reel of what she has done including some highlights from her time on the show......pretty impressive....I've posted it here.

Check it out!

• Love 3

You Can Dance: Po prostu tańcz! - SYTYCD Poland S8E06:

Bootcamp (Seville, Spain) - Part 2:

vertical routine

The remaining dancers were divided into four groups and performed the same routine.

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Girls - solos

Boys - solos

Top 14

1. Mateusz Sobecko - had to withdraw from Season 7 due to injury

2. Michał Przybyła

3. Artur Golec

4. Natalia Gap

5. Włodek Kołobycz

6. Patryk Brdej

7. Agata Stachowiak

8. Ernestina Papazyan

9. Hubert Kozłowski

10. Monika Radziszewska

11. Sara Janicka

12. Paulina Kubicka

13. Klaudia Sadło

14. Mikołaj Strzyż

Edited by beata

Top 14 Live
official site
opening routine – Living for Love - Madonna
1. Paulina Kubicka and Mikołaj Strzyż – Commercial – Flawless(remix)- Beyoncé ft Nicki Minaj
2. Agata Stachowiak and Michał Przybyła – Contemporary –Elastic Heart by Sia
3. Klaudia Sadło and Mateusz Sobecko  - Dancehall - Come On To Me (Remix) - Major Lazer ft. Sean Paul
4. Sara Janicka and Artur Golec – Cha Cha – Love Runs Out - OneRepublic
5. Ernestina Papazyan and Włodek Kołobycz – Jazz – Take Me To Church - Hozier
6. Monika Radziszewska and Patryk Brdej – Salsa – Smooth Criminal – Tony Succar and Jean Rodriguez
7. Natalia Gap and Hubert Kozłowski – Experimental – I Want You - Moloko

Solo Dances:

Eliminated are:

Edited by beata

Top 12 Live
official site
opening number – GDFR - FloRida
1. Natalia Gap and Włodek Kołobycz – Jive – Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars
2. Ernestina Papazyan and Mikołaj Strzyż – Hip Hop – Muse – O.C.A.D.
3. Sara Janicka and Michał Przybyła – Jazz – What Kind of Man – Florence And The Machine
4. Agata Stachowiak and Artur Golec – Commercial – Trini Dem Girl – Nicky Minaj
5. Paulina Kubicka and Mateusz Sobecko  – Contemporary – Explosions – Ellie Goulding
6. Klaudia Sadło and Hubert Kozłowski – Krump – Power – Kanye West
Solo Dances:

Eliminated are:

Edited by beata

Top 10 Live
official site
opening number – Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
1. Klaudia Sadło  and Michał Przybyła– Locking – Treasure - Bruno Mars
2. Paulina Kubicka and Włodek Kołobycz  – Modal Underground – Messiah - Madonna
3. Sara Janicka and Hubert Kozłowski – Commercial Twerk – Twerk It – Busta Rhymes ft Nicki Minaj
4. Natalia Gap and Artur Golec – Contemporary – Zanim Pójdę– Czesław Śpiewa
5. Agata Stachowiak and Mateusz Sobecko  – Hip Hop – All Day – Kanye West
Solo Dances:

Eliminated are:

Top 8 Live
opening number (ft. one of the judges – Michal Pirog) - Maria Peszek - Pibloktoq
Girls’ routine – Beyoncé - 7/11
1. Sara Janicka and Mateusz Sobecko – Contemporary – LemON – Scarlett
2. Agata Stachowiak and Hubert Kozłowski – American Smooth - A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - Say Something
3. Klaudia Sadło and Artur Golec –  Hip Hop - Azealia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay)
4. Natalia Gap and Michał Przybyła – Jazz - The Weeknd - Earned It (from The "Fifty Shades Of Grey" Soundtrack)

Boys’ routine - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis  - Can't Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton)

Sola dances:

Eliminated are:

Top 6 Live (and All Stars)
opening number – Jessie J - Flashlights
1. Klaudia Sadło and Marcin Mroziński (Top 3 Season 3) - Beyoncé – Haunted
2. Michał Przybyła and Paulina Figińska (runner-up Season 5) - Bastille - Dreams (ft. Gabrielle Aplin)
3. Hubert Kozłowski and Natalia Madejczyk (Top 6 Season 1)- Sofia Karlberg – Crazy In Love
4. Mateusz Sobecko and Adrianna Kawecka (Top 4 Season 3) – Rihanna – Bitch Better Have My Money
5. Natalia Gap and Łukasz Zięba (runner –up Season 4) – SBRKT – If it Happens
6. Agata Stachowiak and Brian Poniatowski (winner Season 7) – Ludovico Einaudi - Experience
Solo dances:

1. Klaudia Sadło
2. Michał Przybyła 
3. Natalia Gap
4. Hubert Kozłowski
5. Agata Stachowiak
6. Mateusz Sobecko

Eliminated are: here

Top 4 Live
Unfortunately, Agata Stachowiak had to withdraw from the show due to injury. Klaudia Sadło is back.
opening number – Pharrell Williams – Come Get It Bae
1. Klaudia Sadło and Natalia Gap - Beyoncé - Partition
2. Michał Przybyła and Mateusz Sobecko – Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
3. Klaudia Sadło and Michał Przybyła  - Jazz – Latch – Disclosure (ft. Sam Smith)
4. Natalia Gap and Mateusz Sobecko – Hip-Hop – Wiz Khalifa & Iggy Azalea – Go Hard Or Go Home
Solo dances:
1. Klaudia Sadło
2. Mateusz Sobecko
3. Natalia Gap
4. Michał Przybyła 

Going to the final are: here