Type keyword(s) to search

S02.01: Dangerous Minds

ohjoy

In the Season 2 premiere, summer is over. Lainey is excited to be back at William Penn Academy, but Mellor warns her that being a pal to her students is not a good idea. Meanwhile, Principal Glascott introduces the newest science teacher to the faculty, but CB is skeptical of her no-nonsense approach.

Original air date: September 25, 2019

I liked the conflict with CB and the new teacher. I cringed the whole part with Lainey trying to be 'Dangerous Minds' about everything. I did chuckle at the giant cell phone and her long distance relationship with Barry, but wonder how much their cell phone bills were going to be. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I forgot how much I missed this show until it came back! Lainey was killing me with her attempts at Michelle Pfeiffer-ing her class and I cracked up when she ran into the chimes and when she threw the candy bar at the kid's face. I know they're always vague about what year they're supposed to be in, but I was a little confused. They were discussing American Pie and Dangerous Minds as if they were both recent releases but I checked my handy-dandy IMDb app and Dangerous Minds was released in '95 and American Pie came out in '99.

• Love 4

Ugh, maybe I am too tender hearted, but I never find animals dying funny, even insects. Not my thing. 

Other than that, its nice to have this show back. I liked the conflict between CB and the new teacher and the resolution, that different teachers can have different teaching styles that work for them, and thats alright. Lainey and her dangerous minds outfit and giant cell phone were cracking me up. 

Pajama day isnt for the students, its for the staff!

• LOL 1
On 9/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, joanne3482 said:

I cringed the whole part with Lainey trying to be 'Dangerous Minds' about everything.

I don't understand Adam Goldberg's insistence on connecting every episode with a movie, it seriously gets on my nerves.

• Love 3

WHY are we still dealing with Barry as an off-screen side character?!? He quite literally doesn't even go here!

Even though Lainey/CB is obvious endgame, this episode was giving me unintentional chemistry all over the place. There's definite tension between CB and the new teacher, but they'd never go there because she's too old (which is a double standard because media romanticizes the shit out of women in their 20s/30s falling for men in their 40s/50s all the time). And...okay, I know Mellor is supposed to be her mentor but the actor is just so goddamn sincere that all of their confidante scenes have romantic undertones to me. But again, he was her high school teacher and also too old. I wonder who they'll introduce as CB's roadblock love interest? Anybody has to be cooler and more jealousy-inducing than Barry.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, rmontro said:

I don't understand Adam Goldberg's insistence on connecting every episode with a movie, it seriously gets on my nerves.

Not sure if he is to blame he is very hands off with this show and never been involved in the day to day the cocreator Mark Firek was the showrunner last season and he has been replaced by the creator The Kids Are All Right Tim Doyle for this season.

One problem with this show being back to back with The Goldbergs is i was initially so confused about Lainey and Barry having a long distance relationship because the fact that he was going to school so close to home was mentioned more than once on the episode of The Goldbergs that proceeded it.