Type keyword(s) to search

SomeTameGazelle

4.9k Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

3.4k profile views
  1. I was prepared to cheer for Tyler after I heard about his dead languages but when Amy beat him to fulgurous I'm afraid I switched back to Amy. Guidebooks! Blue Guide, Fodor's, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, etc ...
  2. Just starting to watch The Card (aka The Promoter) and in the opening as the aerial view moves in to Denry's home in Bursley, the movement and the angle look very much like the card for some production company I can't recall the name of so I have not been able to turn up any confirmation or denial that it was inspired by this clip. Anyone know what I am referring to? The camera moves left over some little houses or shacks with slanted roofs. It's possible that the production company version sort of shimmers & waves?
  3. I shouted out "a mind is a terrible thing to waste!" but I couldn't remember the name. And I thought of CERN but dismissed it as being for the large Hadron collider, not thinking it had other uses.
  4. Probably because I knew "A Bushel and a Peck" for years before I ever listened to the OBC recording or saw the movie I am incapable of being objective about it and find it to be a hilarious number for Miss Adelaide and her Hot Box Girls. I adore "Take Back Your Mink" but I have no attachment to "Pet Me, Papa" and would gladly do without it. (I could have sworn that I have seen the movie version's "Bushel" though.) I also have a soft spot for "Marry the Man Today" because I like the interplay between Adelaide and Sarah, but even though "you mustn't squeeze the melon til you get the melon home" and "Reader's Digest! Guy Lombardo! ... Ovaltine!" make me laugh, the overall concept is hard to feel good about. The Sound of Music is a big one here. I think it was absolutely the right call to put "My Favourite Things" with the children and move up Climb Ev'ry Mountain for the Mother Abbess. And even though I love "No Way to Stop It" it feels effective that the Baroness doesn't sing.
  5. I can't think of anything in this movie that seemed any more incestuous than any of Fred's numbers with Jane Powell in Royal Wedding. There is concern that Pogo is going to tempt Jessica to break her engagement to Tab Hunter's character, but any suggestion that Pogo is sexually interested in Jessica is IMO mitigated by the attractions of Jessica's mother and Pogo's ex, played by Lilli Palmer. Fred Astaire just isn't sufficiently charming and worldly to me here to justify Pogo's appeal when absolutely everything depends on it.
  6. Re: Ashley Wilkes being inspired by Doc Holliday, I found this ... It sounds more like Mattie Holliday inspired the character of Melanie and Doc Holliday happened to be her cousin who loved her. https://victoriawilcoxbooks.com/doc-holliday-stories/doc-hollidays-family-affair/
  7. Same! Even though I had mentioned both Colorado and Connecticut in a phone conversation within the previous hour, as if I suddenly had no idea that any state other than California possibly started with C.
  8. I was watching Law & Order Toronto tonight and wondering why the woman playing the HR rep looked so familiar. Turned out that it was Ellora Patnaik who played Raffo in Sort Of. A very different role. (Be warned if you consider watching it that the subject matter is pretty heavy.)
  9. It was released 40 years ago so I thought maybe only we old or verging on old would be familiar with it.
  10. I managed to get through The Pleasure of his Company with Debbie Reynolds and Fred Astaire but it felt too slow and plodding for what it was although the underlying story felt like it could have been charming with a lighter touch.
  11. I try not to think about the placement too much. Sometimes things that seem obvious to me may not be obvious to an older or younger generation -- and sometimes there was an issue in the studio and they had to use a substitute clue. According to my understanding they have only one backup at the ready so the clue may not seem to have the right value since it could get plugged in anywhere.
  12. I have reached the point of rooting against Alison. At least, I don't want to see runaways when she makes a lot of careless wrong guesses. Make FJ competitive and exciting! I knew Junoesque, aegis, and panic. I guessed machine gun without confidence. I also got Bangkok because of the song lyrics and really thought Ken should have highlighted that part of the clue when he gave the response because if you don't know it that makes zero sense. I'm wondering whether the contestants are too much of the same generation and that's why there have been so many blank stares, especially for things that make me and Ken feel old.
  13. I blame Jeopardy for not keeping the category on the screen while they show the clue!
  14. Certainly unusual for the mistake to make it into the broadcast at any rate. I'm not sure how they would have handled Firenze since that would not have met the requirement to be a first name as well ... maybe they would have given you a chance to give the English version?
  15. I got very impatient with her and crossly vowed to laugh if she managed to lose her runaway lead doing that. I decided to guess Newton but I was afraid I would be embarrassing myself. Whew! I got the rest except I thought of Chad and rejected it because for some reason I thought the category required a female name. Also, what the hell was Ken thinking accepting Venice for Florence in that category?