Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Adventure

I know a LOT of people, myself included, that consider cooking after work to be an extension of the workday, and do that particular set of chores before changing! I had two female roommates in the eighties who dressed almost exactly like Donna in that scene, and evenings were the three of us doing that very thing in the same attire (though I was dressed more like Joe)! I think we had the same vodka as well!

Hmm. Maybe they dressed like that because YOU were there. :) I can't imagine messing up my work clothes with spaghetti sauce and such. Even though it's an extension of the work day, it's one which you can do in a lot more comfort.

No. Adventure was just a text based game on the computers. The Atari game had castles, mazes, and dragons. You had to find a chalice and return it to one of the castles. 

I knew they were different games (I played a ton of the atari version as a kid), I was just wondering if there was any connection between the two games (like if the atari game was like a sequel to the text based one or something).

Hmm. Maybe they dressed like that because YOU were there. :) I can't imagine messing up my work clothes with spaghetti sauce and such. Even though it's an extension of the work day, it's one which you can do in a lot more comfort.

That, and I typically try to get out of my suits as quickly as humanly possible, to save on dry-cleaning bills!

That's what the apron was for:) I know my mom never cooked wearing sweats in the 80's either.

I have watched a few episodes of this show now on Netflix and while I liked the other episodes well enough I think this one has hooked me... because I remember playing Adventure as a kid on my dad's old computer and getting stuck in the maze of twisty passages. And XYZZY, plugh, etc. My dad had a printout of a map of the whole game and where to use the magic words. I think we actually played it all the way through at least once.  I can't remember how old I was but I guess I was young enough that a text based adventure seemed interesting, so must have been before I discovered Sierra adventure games! We might have had graphical games on our other DOS computer (Frogger, DigDug, Sopwith, Space Invaders, etc) but Adventure was played on some really old system he had.

Oh and my dad looked/dressed exactly like Gordon in the 1980s. I told him he needs to watch this.

• Love 1

Why is Donna's keyboard in the garage?

Wait...wasn't that the Symphonic?

Yeah, it was the original text-based adventure, like Zork and the other Infocom games, and the "twisty little passages all alike" phrase is still commonly used.

I found a walkthrough: http://www.ir.bbn.com/~bschwart/adventure.html

ADVENTURE!!! Although, I never actually played Adventure as it was a bit before my time (I would've been only 10-years-old here and there's no way we could've afforded a home computer) but I remember playing--I think it was called Odyssey--in my high school computer class. I'm actually loving everyone's stories of their first computers and such. This show has really got me nostalgic.

Anyone notice Cameron's goofy typing style? It's not quite two fingered typing and she kind of perches over the keyboard. I wonder if that's the actor's choice?

She types like a co-worker of mine currently does. I always say he's the fastest hunter and pecker in the mid-West.