Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

Oh, man, I just want poor Marie to catch a break. Everything continues to go from bad to worse for her. And I want to throttle her foster Mom (the one who didn't want to pursue notifying the police about similar cases).

I like how they are showing the tedium of actual police work - cross checking lists and databases. It's mundane stuff like this that can sometimes result in breaks in investigations.

I understand Grace's frustration at not being able to pull info from the AG's office, but I wish she would quit brow-beating her husband. Both of their jobs could be at stake if they contravened protocols.

I couldn't make out what Karen was doing behind the man who had been staring at her as she was leaving the diner in Kansas. She initially made sure he could see her badge and gun, but then she went and stood by him as she exited?

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I couldn't make out what Karen was doing behind the man who had been staring at her as she was leaving the diner in Kansas. She initially made sure he could see her badge and gun, but then she went and stood by him as she exited?

I think, simply trying to intimidate him and teach him a "lesson".

Kind of like, you think you can stare at women/girls like they're weak/your prey but one of them might be a cop with a gun, like me.  So don't try anything.... this is how I took it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19

I was pretty disappointed with this episode & its accurate portrayal of the trip to Kansas.  THey said that there was something found at the University of Kansas.  That's in Lawrence, where I grew up.  The show the detective driving (seemingly forever) through farm fields on two lane roads.  Sitting in a tiny, small-town diner surrounded by bumpkins.  Lawrence is one of the most liberal, vibrant towns you'd ever go to.  It's also off a major interstate less than an hour from Kansas City's airport.   I know it's a small peeve, but still.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, SuzySmith said:

I was pretty disappointed with this episode & its accurate portrayal of the trip to Kansas.  THey said that there was something found at the University of Kansas.  That's in Lawrence, where I grew up.  The show the detective driving (seemingly forever) through farm fields on two lane roads.  Sitting in a tiny, small-town diner surrounded by bumpkins.  Lawrence is one of the most liberal, vibrant towns you'd ever go to.  It's also off a major interstate less than an hour from Kansas City's airport.   I know it's a small peeve, but still.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see the people as a bunch of bumpkins, just the leering creep at the diner but not the rest of the normal townspeople.  They did make it seem like a small town though, yeah.  A lot of times on TV and in movies anyplace that's not LA or NY is portrayed as being a small backwards town so I get it.  I'm in TX, which always gets portrayed as ranchland with a bunch of hickish boots-wearing would-be cowboys in it and that's all even though it's a huge state with a lot of rural areas, yes, but also large cities such as Houston, Austin, and San Antonio that are definitely more bustling and progressive.

I did think it was funny how Grace and all of her team used the magic finger-on-nose signal to leave Karen on the hook to do the road trip.

Watching Marie's story is so difficult and almost made me give up after the first episode, but I stick with it because Karen and Grace are awesome and are determined to find the rapist.  It's a breath of fresh air to watch them and their competence as compared to watching Marie's scenes, where everyone lets her down time after time.  I'm pissed off at everyone but right now especially with the counselors in her program because in my view they didn't listen to her AT ALL and just pushed her to go back to the police, which probably led to their decision to charge her for a false report.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think, simply trying to intimidate him and teach him a "lesson".

Kind of like, you think you can stare at women/girls like they're weak/your prey but one of them might be a cop with a gun, like me.  So don't try anything.... this is how I took it.

And also, "Don't even think of trying anything with those women, because I see you."

• Love 5

I totally get that Grace wants information so she can catch this rapist but it was really not cool to ask her husband AGAIN after he already said no (honestly, I was already bothered when she asked the first time). He could lose his job if he did what she asked.

Ugh, that creep in the diner reminded me how gross people can be.

I like that they're showing the actual work that goes into research. A lot of tv shows oversimplify detective work. They just go click click click and some database magically spits out the name of the criminal. That's great if they left behind DNA, fingerprints, etc. and they're already in the system but not every criminal is thoughtful enough to make it easy for the authorities to find them. Databases are full of information but if you don't have something specific like a fingerprint, you have to give the database parameters to narrow the search. It can be really frustrating and tedious so I'm glad that they're not making this like Bones or L&O where there's always a dead giveaway that helps them ID someone right away.