Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Julie Christie

Bort
  • Start Topic

While Martha and Thomas confront Crowley over his strange party and the return of Patricia, Alfred and the lads track down the identity of a wanted killer.

Airdate: Sunday, September 8, 2019

Okay, a somewhat slower episode but I really like the character development for Thomas Wayne and Marth Kane, as well as Thomas' sister, Patricia.  Having never read a Batman comic, the only thing I really know about Bruce Wayne's parents is that they tend to die pretty early on. In the "Gotham" premiere, they're shot to death in the opening scene. This episode is some really nice layering of their characters. So, Thomas is pretty much a self-absorbed dick. Martha is a genuinely nice person and Patricia...is seriously fucked up.

As for Alistair Crowley, I think he's a very nice addition to an already fascinating rogues gallery of villains.

As for the ending, damn, I was just getting to like Mr. Pennyworth.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Weird detail of the week: in the outside shot of Aleister Crowley's mansion, a couple can be seen going by on the pavement pushing a baby pram with a pig in it.

Yeah that got a big double take from me! Even by this shows standards, that was pretty weird and random.

Interesting episode, Alistair Crowley could be an interesting reoccurring villain, especially being apparently not involved the political squabbles that many of the other bad guys are tied up in. I like that they are keeping it ambiguous as to whether Alistair Crowley is really working for the actual Devil, or is just a creepy rich weirdo. Did Martha really see the Devil at the party or was she just drugged? Thomas apparently saw the Devil in his own violence, or did he see flashes of the Devil? 

Damn it Mr. Pennyworth, dont be that guy!

It would be kind of funny watching Alfred and Bet team up to find the asshole that killed Esme. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Interesting episode, Alistair Crowley could be an interesting reoccurring villain, especially being apparently not involved the political squabbles that many of the other bad guys are tied up in. I like that they are keeping it ambiguous as to whether Alistair Crowley is really working for the actual Devil, or is just a creepy rich weirdo. Did Martha really see the Devil at the party or was she just drugged? Thomas apparently saw the Devil in his own violence, or did he see flashes of the Devil?

Mr Crowley used the unusual spelling "Aleister" as opposed to "Alistair" or "Alastair" (his birth name was Edward Alexander Crowley).

The historical Aleister Crowley was in fact not a Satanist, although he allowed laypeople to believe he was and played up his image. He joined the esoteric Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and founded his own neopagan religion, Thelema. It did indeed involve orgies. He and Thelema are featured in the CBS All Access series Strange Angel (along with the nuclear weapons program).

But on a philosophical level, a historical cult leader promoting Satanism as love, desire and freedom would be a better fit for Anton LeVay, whom they seem to have combined him with in this series.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Somethings don't seem right:

In the flashback of Esme's murder where Bet claims to have saw the killer, I thought there were 2 people, a man and a woman.

It is weird that Alfred's father joined the Raven's society after Alfred's father, mother and girlfriend severely beat up two of it's highest ranking members (those Raven Society members knew their names and where they lived as well). Didn't Alfred tell his parents that those were members of the Raven Society they jacked up?

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

In the flashback of Esme's murder where Bet claims to have saw the killer, I thought there were 2 people, a man and a woman.

I think perhaps those were just people entering the building and seeing them made her think twice about going in herself.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:42 AM, AnimeMania said:

Yeah, personally I think the Captain is being set up. This is all just a little too easy. You're going to murder a girl over a perceived insult from some private from years ago?

1 hour ago, Philbert said:

Yeah, personally I think the Captain is being set up. This is all just a little too easy. You're going to murder a girl over a perceived insult from some private from years ago?

Could be. That Captain lives in a pretty big expensive house and is alone so maybe that slight in front of the his troops affected him enough so that when his personal life fell apart after the war he blamed it on somebody convenient he felt was beneath him.