Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Cilla Black

Bort
  • Start Topic

The original Aleister Crowley was born in 1875 and died in 1947 at the age of 72. I have no idea the time period this show is supposed to take place in.

I am surprised that Thomas Wayne is already a Billionaire, you would think he would take more precautions for his safety with all the violence going on around him. Why isn't he back in America enjoying the good life? I had figured that it was something that he did in England that would cause him to have his vast fortune.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

The original Aleister Crowley was born in 1875 and died in 1947 at the age of 72. I have no idea the time period this show is supposed to take place in.

I believe it is supposed to take place in mid-late 1960's London but it should be remembered that this is an alternative universe where the Tower of London is still in use as a place of torture and there are televised executions, even though execution was outlawed in the UK in the early 60's. Also, apparently Germany won the Second World War.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Philbert said:

I believe it is supposed to take place in mid-late 1960's London but it should be remembered that this is an alternative universe where the Tower of London is still in use as a place of torture and there are televised executions, even though execution was outlawed in the UK in the early 60's. Also, apparently Germany won the Second World War.

I don't think they won since I don't see swastikas over England and there would not be the CIA in the US either. Seems like the Germans conquered and kept the low countries at least, no mention of Russia. The main character said he gave 10 years to the crown fighting (no idea where) in special forces (SAS) and this is set in the 60's not in the 40's.

17 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

I don't think they won since I don't see swastikas over England and there would not be the CIA in the US either. Seems like the Germans conquered and kept the low countries at least, no mention of Russia. The main character said he gave 10 years to the crown fighting (no idea where) in special forces (SAS) and this is set in the 60's not in the 40's.

Well by "won" I suppose I mean they managed to get a negotiated peace treaty and hold onto power. Granted, all we know is that Germany is called "The Reich" and it's obvious they didn't conquer Britain or defeat the United States. We don't know what France and Russia look like at this point. I'm sure we'll find out eventually but I can't see them straying too far from World History. They've stuck fairly close to reality, except for some alterations like still having the death penalty in this time period.

Having many airships in the sky in the 1960's isn't close to reality. 

The whole time period of the show just seems off to me.

While the death penalty might still be around hanging followed by spilling the criminals guts all over the street while showing it on TV isn't something that would have happened. Pillory (locking people in hinged wooden boards outside) ended in the UK in the late 1800's but they show quit a bit of it here.

Edited by UnknownK
50 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

Having many airships in the sky in the 1960's isn't close to reality. 

I think it's a fairly minor deviation. I'm assuming that the Hindenburg didn't blow up in this reality and they found a way to make them safer.

22 minutes ago, Philbert said:

I think it's a fairly minor deviation. I'm assuming that the Hindenburg didn't blow up in this reality and they found a way to make them safer.

The Hindenburg blew up because nobody would sell Germany Helium (inert) in the late 30's NAZI era so they were stuck using hydrogen (explosive). So while I can see a Germany at peace being able to safely make Zepplins with Helium I don't see why anybody would be using an airship to travel in the 50's or 60's since airplanes were common as hell, faster, and cheaper.

A Zepplin flight was mostly used for long distances (before planes were big enough to jump continents) where people taking those flights were pretty rich.

It just seems like people took bits and pieces of different eras that seem cool and stuffed them into what I think is the early 1960's.

I also can't figure out how somebody who isn't even a top member of the CIA can be a billionaire in this time period. Thomas Wayne was a doctor.

I know that if I ever through a Satanic part in the 60s, I would certainly play in a gadda da vida as much as possible. Considering this episode has Satan, witches, and visions all played a part in this episode, maybe Aleister Crowley is immortal in this universe? This is apparently some version of the DC universe, there are immortals freaking everywhere. 

The witch Baroness was quite interesting, I hope she and her adorable kitty pop up again. That was a real trip. 

As for the time period, the weird retro verse with tons of alternate universe and tons of time periods seemingly going on at once is very much a Batman aesthetic, it pops up in a lot of Batman stuff, especially involving Gotham, which is a noir 40s style city city but is also modern but is also filled with every other decade (top hats, steampunk) that the creators like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, UnknownK said:

I also can't figure out how somebody who isn't even a top member of the CIA can be a billionaire in this time period. Thomas Wayne was a doctor.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that Thomas Wayne is already a Billionaire, you would think he would take more precautions for his safety with all the violence going on around him. Why isn't he back in America enjoying the good life? I had figured that it was something that he did in England that would cause him to have his vast fortune.

The Waynes are old money. They've been rich for centuries, going back at least as far as the founding of Gotham and probably further, and have never lost their fortune. Also, it's plausible Wayne Enterprises already exists and is run by Thomas and Patricia's parents.

Like Martha, Thomas isn't content being idle rich. And it was implied he might have a secret motivation to get involved as well, assuming that wasn't just a reference to his being CIA.

I really love this show, its aesthetic, the characters and everything!

• Love 1