Type keyword(s) to search

Halston (CNN) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved this doc (I saw it some time ago On Demand but not on CNN). It's a damn shame that Halston never lived to see the day when designers of his caliber licensed their names to all sorts of non-high-end retailers--I have several pieces from Karl Lagerfeld's H&M line and years ago (and maybe still now, I don't know), big-name designers have done budget-friendly lines with Target and, hell, Vera Wang has been selling her clothes at Kohls for years.

What a genius he was. It's so sad he got the drubbing in the media that he did. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Caseysgirl said:

What was he thinking selling out to Penney’s when he seemed to be at the top of his career?  None of those high falutin’ society dames and Studio 54 types would be caught dead in a Penney’s.

Caught this on Amazon.  My impression was that he got a huge amount of money to do it, and he wanted to bring his clothes to the masses.  The documentary honestly made it sound like he didn't really consider the repercussions for his higher end garments, or how those stores and customers would respond to the Halston brand becoming, for lack of a better word, common.     

• Love 1

I arrived here while searching for the Netflix series Halston.  It answers why Halston made such poor decisions.  I guess there isn’t a thread for the Netflix series.  I think it was 6 episodes.  It was not very flattering if Halston, the man.  

On 8/27/2019 at 8:12 AM, Giant Misfit said:

I loved this doc (I saw it some time ago On Demand but not on CNN). It's a damn shame that Halston never lived to see the day when designers of his caliber licensed their names to all sorts of non-high-end retailers--I have several pieces from Karl Lagerfeld's H&M line and years ago (and maybe still now, I don't know), big-name designers have done budget-friendly lines with Target and, hell, Vera Wang has been selling her clothes at Kohls for years.

What a genius he was. It's so sad he got the drubbing in the media that he did. 

The series Halston paints him in a very negative light. It’s so bad, I wonder how he kept friends like Liza Minnelli.

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess there isn’t a thread for the Netflix series.  I think it was 6 episodes.  It was not very flattering if Halston, the man.  

Here's the link for the Netflix series-

• Mind Blown 1
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The series Halston paints him in a very negative light.

I watched it and thought it was awful. My original comment, however, was more directed at his craft than his personality—which received a much more nuanced portrayal in the doc than in the series.