Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Anduin

Cyberpunk 2077

Of all the upcoming games in the next couple of years, I'm most excited about this one. The cyberpunk genre isn't my favourite, but I believe CDPR can deliver something on a par with Witcher 3. Maybe even better. I try not to get carried away with expectations, but I can't help it. Helps that in this case, they have the creator of the source material on board.

In the last year, I've been looking into the genre beyond just Shadowrun. I've watched the Blade Runner movies, the Matrix, reread Neuromancer and even Count Zero. I have the original Deus Ex game and Johnny Mnemonic to play and watch, which I swear I'll get around to. Funny, isn't it? I don't normally research games in this detail, but CP2077 has just grabbed me like that.

So, what are our hopes and fears? From what we've seen, what do you like and dislike?

I love cyberpunk as a genre, but it's really easy to get lost in the weeds of technology and transhumanism, if a writer isn't careful. The humanity and warmth can be lost in the bleakness. I have decent faith that CD Projekt Red will get this right, because they imbued The Witcher games with so much life and personality.

The ambition for this one is staggering, and it looks like a mix of Deus Ex, GTA and Mass Effect, in terms of its scope and gameplay. Not exactly the easiest standards to live up to!

For a lot of new games, I tend to be very sceptical because it usually turns out that the single player experience is hurt by a focus on multiplayer, but I don't believe that will be the case with CDPR.

I just want something with a huge, sprawling storyline, but a keen focus on character and story, and I want to have a real attachment to my player character. That's something I find lacking in games by Bethesda - there's a big, interesting world to explore, but no one in it has any personality.

9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

For a lot of new games, I tend to be very sceptical because it usually turns out that the single player experience is hurt by a focus on multiplayer, but I don't believe that will be the case with CDPR.

Yeah. They've announced that this game will have a multiplayer component, but haven't elaborated much. So far it's all been on the SP. As a strict SP type, I don't care if multi ever appears or not.

10 hours ago, Anduin said:

Yeah. They've announced that this game will have a multiplayer component, but haven't elaborated much. So far it's all been on the SP. As a strict SP type, I don't care if multi ever appears or not.

Agreed. A lot of people will moan about a multiplayer experience that feels tacked on, but to me that's actually a plus point. If I'm spending £50 or more on a game, I want to be getting my money's worth out of it. And if it's good, I'll also be willing to pay for DLC. CDPR's record with The Witcher games suggests they share that feeling.

This is interesting. They've done some work on character creation.

And our character creation menu, for instance, compared to the last demo we now give you so many more options. For instance, you don’t choose your gender anymore. You don’t choose, ‘I want to be a female or male character’ you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want.

So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want. And then we have a lot of extra skin tones and tattoos and hairstyles. So we really want to give people the freedom to make their own character and play the way they want to play.

Some people are apparently up in arms about this. Like, their characters won't be real men, just identifying as such. Of course they aren't real, they're a collection of mindless animated pixels that obey instructions given through the controls. No matter what your character looks like, they'll never be more than that.

If a virtual creation looks and sounds like a man, then I say he virtually is. There's no point in getting carried away about these things. This is shaping up to be the best game of 2020, and I intend to enjoy it.

For that matter, I'm not opposed to transhumanism. The stranger the better.

So we got some more footage.

They originally said it was going to be gameplay. They later cut it down to almost meaningless clips. If they'd shown the same situation from two different styles, that would have been good. Instead they chose different moments to highlight the different approaches, taking away any sense of meaning or purpose. This was just an exercise in timewasting. Bad form, CDPR.