Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

(edited)
18 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Your comment reminds me that I was thinking during the show, especially given the cheapness (at least in the look) of the sets and costumes, I would be happy to have seen this in a short off-Broadway run or at NYMF (though it's a little much for NYMF). It felt like a show that needed more work. Now, that's not to denigrate off-Broadway. Amelie is no Hadestown or The Band's Visit. But is it better than Himself & Nora and a bunch of plays I've seen with pretty static sets? Sure. I don't know how you'd downsize the cast any more which is which I'm thinking limited run but it could have been a very pleasant little show off-Broadway. I wonder if it will have a life in schools. Along the Waitress line of thought, I remember thinking there were a few naughty jokes or words here and there that would have to be changed for a junior version, not that it would alter much (besides the sex shop).

I agree that it would be a nice/inoffensive offering at local theaters or in schools (heh, but I agree the sex shop might have to be changed for school productions). The little puppet things with the fish would fit in better in that kind of setting too. When I saw it in Berkeley, it was part of the season so I didn't pay extra for it, but when I saw it in LA it was $95/ticket and this was not a $95 seat production in my opinion. For $100, I'd rather have let Pippa just stand there for an hour and sing whatever she wanted.

9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I was just thinking about how Fox News would criticize any other network for carrying Rent.  I wonder if they'll criticize Fox Broadcasting for doing it.

Will Maureen and Joanne still go to the Clit Club?

When they did Grease, they used the very toned down middle school version lyrics for Greased Lightning. I imagine for Rent, they will cut Contact completely and take out a few words/lines here and there (like in La Vie Boheme - I can't imagine that Fox is going to let them sing the words dildo, mucho masturbation, to sodomy it's between God and me, etc). 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo!

Just got home in the middle of the night from NYC (train + long drive, after negotiating a day full of rain), but had to say this:

Anybody in NYC who loves musical theater needs to get to City Center for one of the remaining performances of The Golden Apple. It deserves to be a familiar popular title, but instead is done so rarely that it may not turn up again for another 30 years. (It was my first chance to see a live performance.) And they're doing justice to it, with a fine ensemble cast, colorful designs, smart direction, and the fabulous Encores! Orchestra to play those gorgeous orchestrations. It just doesn't get better.

• Love 2

Irene Sankoff, David Hein, and Jenn Colella discuss "Come From Away" on Build:

The cast did a google talk last month:

CBC story on Come From Away:

Short but sweet video of the cast going to Gander to perform Come From Away for the locals and meet some of their real life counterparts:

Cast performs "Welcome to the Rock" at Studio Q:

Broadway cast performs "Costume Party," "Me and the Sky," and "Stop the World" at Billboard's Tony series last month:

Abridged version of "Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere" at the Barnes & Noble Upper East Side:

• Love 1
On 4/29/2017 at 6:03 PM, ebk57 said:

Rita is fabulous. Mr. Rubenstein needs to brush up on his interviewing skillzzzzz 

I got really lucky this season because several of the shows had pre or post show talks. Unfortunately, some of the interviewers were not very good which can make or break a discussion. At Berkeley Rep, the pre-show talks are really lectures by the docents, so they're always very well prepared and full of information. The post-show talks I've seen at various show places - this isn't specific to Berkeley Rep - depend a lot of things like how open the actors are and how interesting the questions from the audience are, but sometimes the interviewer really drags the process down. A few years ago I was SO excited to see Judy Blume, but the interviewer was more interested in talking about himself than her so it was basically a waste of an hour. I know that interviewing is a skill, but I wish the people who set up these interviews/conversations/talks would realize that as well and select someone who is good at it.

• Love 1

Quick report on the Saturday trip:

Matinee: The Little Foxes. I saw Cynthia Nixon as Regina, Laura Linney as Birdie, both excellent. I'm sure it's great the other way round too, they're both just so accomplished. And it's such a fun play, tightly written melodrama whose viciousness really works (I found that I remembered more of the lines than I'd have imagined possible, even though the high school production I worked in was over 50 years ago). Solid meat-and-potatoes production (in the most complimentary sense) directed by Daniel Sullivan. That versatile and accomplished actor Michael McKean as Ben (what a huge variety of roles I've now seen him in!) was great as always. The standout of the whole cast, though, was Richard Thomas -- just astonishing as Horace, not a false note, every line hit the bulls-eye, and his acting of illness was jaw-dropping.

I could stay for only 10 minutes of the talkback, but I was amused and gratified that the MTC employee who led it laid down some initial ground rules: "Don't mention reviews" and "Don't talk about their other performances, stick to this one." Most welcome, talkbacks can be excruciating when self-important audience members get going.

Evening: The Golden Apple. No need to elaborate. It's one of the top great musicals (coincidentally, Cynthia Nixon recently talked about it as her favorite of all -- I hope she managed to see it), and this production did it justice. I hope every college and community theater starts doing it now. I could list outstanding cast members, but I'd list the whole cast.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I could stay for only 10 minutes of the talkback, but I was amused and gratified that the MTC employee who led it laid down some initial ground rules: "Don't mention reviews" and "Don't talk about their other performances, stick to this one." Most welcome, talkbacks can be excruciating when self-important audience members get going.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine at talks. This is not an opportunity for random people in the audience to grandstand or tell their life stories. Ask an interesting, pertinent, and original question and then step away from the microphone. A few years ago, I went to a reading with Cary Elwes and several of the audience questions were people going on and on about how they were aspiring actors and it took them forever to get to their actual questions (most of which were variations of "What advice do you have for people trying to break into the business?" aka "Please immediately recognize my talent from the five minute autobiographical monologue I just gave and offer me a job right now!"). I don't mind if people mention past performances VERY briefly by saying, "I loved you in _____" or "_____ was my favorite movie/play/character" before asking their question, but in general I support the "stick to this performance" rule.

Most welcome, talkbacks can be excruciating when self-important audience members get going.

OK, so I can be a pretentious little snot sometimes but I get annoyed when there are talkbacks or an opportunity for audience questions and you get a whole rambling preamble and then a pretty dull question. Like (insert X actor), Gosh, I'm such a huge fan of XYZ, and you just gave such a (XYZ) performance. Thank you for XYZ and for inspiring me to etc. etc. etc. "What do you like best about playing this part?" (Or other similar question that is really nonspecific or that they've probably been asked a ton and you could have just looked up). GAAHH.

If I ever ask a question, I like to talk about the work (play, book, etc.) or get the person's perspective on some little thing I'm genuinely curious about. For me, those are usually stage door questions. 

Someone actually asked an interesting (if obvious) question, and though I'd read something about it, it was interesting to hear direct from Laura Linney. "Who thought up the idea to alternate in the roles?" And she was able to happily take credit for it: she'd originally been cast as Regina, and she found herself a bit scared by the role plus hankering after Birdie. She called MTC and asked if she might move to the other role (answer: a firm No). Then she worked on it a bit more and had the brainstorm of alternating with someone else, and Nixon occurred to her as the likeliest to succeed and be game for it. So she called MTC again with this idea, and this time they found it interesting, and before long she got a screaming happy call from Nixon, accepting.

I remember that years ago on another site Miss Alli said that there were mostly just two questions asked at Final Tribal Council on Survivor: "My question is YOU SUCK" and "My question is I WANT AN APOLOGY." And while the predictable bad questions at live theater aren't exactly those, they're in the same family: something like "My question is YOU'RE WEIRD"* and "My question is I WANT VALIDATION."

(*Seriously. I'll never forget someone at the Assassins revival saying "Becky Ann Baker, I see you've done a lot of musicals so you must have an excellent voice. What was behind your decision to make this character sing badly?" To which she replied, with more grace than I would have, "Um... I try my best?")

• Love 4
(edited)

Quick thoughts... 4 hours 30 minutes (2 intermissions) is no joke so I'm a little sleepy. But I caught the Met Live in HD transmission of Rosenkavalier. I wasn't convinced at first but I got into it. Generally a beautiful production with GORGEOUS costumes (less so for the guys) and lovely sets. Generally beautifully sung and comic and engaging. Slowed down a bit with Marie Therese/The Marschallin's solo arias in act 1 (maybe I would have enjoyed them more if I thought Renee was a better actress) and the weird way it seems to end like 6 different times in act 3. I liked Renee's singing much better than I did in Merry Widow and everyone else was in fantastic voice and also gave fairly good acting performances. I will be on the lookout for Elina and Erin Morley in future productions. 

I was thinking of swapping out Les Contes d'Hoffmann or something else in my season for Semiramide and/or Luisa Miller but now I don't want to give up seeing Erin Morley live. I might also switch out Die Zauberflote... I'm torn because it is grand enough to warrant seeing live (as opposed to stark productions where it seems like you're watching little ants run around a huge set) but I have no particular fondness for any of the performers and maybe it would be better up close? As for Luisa Miller I didn't love Piotr in La Boheme live but I did enjoy his Iolanta in the movie theater so it might be fine to just see at the movies. 

For Live in HD next year based on the little previews I'm still thinking Norma, Cosi Fan Tutte, Luisa Miller, Semiramide, and Cendrillon. Considering adding L'Elisir d'Amore though I don't remember being in love with it the first time to hear Matthew sing another role. Thoughts?

Edited by aradia22

I totally agree that any questions about things you could look up with a quick google search suck. It's such a waste of time for both the person who's being interviewed and the entire audience. This is an opportunity to get insight from the actors or creative team so I want to hear something that I won't find in every interview they've done in the last month about this show!

Last month at the San Francisco Ballet, the pre-show talk was with the company's costume manager which was really interesting because that's the kind of behind the scenes perspective we don't get to hear about a lot. He's been with SFB for forty years (and he worked his way up, starting as a dresser) so he had lots of stories to tell. Even so, there were several pretty dull questions from the audience. 

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

For Live in HD next year based on the little previews I'm still thinking Norma, Cosi Fan Tutte, Luisa Miller, Semiramide, and Cendrillon. Considering adding L'Elisir d'Amore though I don't remember being in love with it the first time to hear Matthew sing another role. Thoughts?

L'Elisir d'Amore is one of my favorite operas so I vote for that one! I love Mozart so I feel like you can't fo wrong with Così Fan Tutte.

Of that list, the don't-miss for me is Cendrillon. It's just a delightful, very French version of Cinderella that I much prefer to the more often performed Rossini Cenerentola, which eliminates the magic. This has a flashy coloratura Fairy Godmother, and a Prince played by a woman, which gives us some yummy duets for two sopranos, Rosenkavalier-style.

I have a funny memory about that, seeing the St. Louis Opera Festival in a year when its four operas included Cendrillon. The night after seeing that, I was in the audience for something else (Don Giovanni I think) and found myself in a conversation with the two high-school girls next to me. They had been to Cinderella too, and were still puzzled and rather shocked that a famous festival would have such a hard time casting the prince that they would have to cast "a girl" in the part -- they thought that happened only in schools where no boys showed up for theater auditions. I tried to explain that in fact the opera was written this way, on purpose, and they were polite but clearly continued to think I didn't know what I was talking about, because why would such a thing ever happen?

• Love 2

Yes, I started to feel more positive about Cendrillon and trouser roles in general after Rosenkavalier. I thought it was a bit awkward at first (a combination of the highly amorous behavior and maybe some awkwardness between Fleming and Garanca) but by the end, when Octavio was playing off of Morley, I completely bought Garanca as a man. Speaking of men, it still baffles me that for Cenerentola Rossini thought so many of the important roles should be replaced by men... stepfather, fairygodfather, etc. though I did love Luca as the godfather. 

My friend convinced me that with my less than enthusiastic response to other bel canto operas, that I should stick to Semiramide at the movies. Still unsure about whether Luisa Miller would be better in person. Has anyone seen Die Zauberflote (I mean the full thing, not the shortened English-language version) filmed for the movies or TV? What did you think of how it was filmed? Lots of close ups, lots of wide shots? On the one hand, I want a good view and on the other hand, I'm control freakish enough that I want to be able to take in the details I want to see and sometimes in a complicated production the camera isn't pointing in (what I think) is the right place.

(edited)

The Alphabet’s roster for the 2017-18 season also includes a “Little Mermaid Live” musical event and a live “Rolling Stone 50” musical tribute.

WHAT!?! Will there be heelys? Kidding. I'd this not be live because I think they could film something much more interesting if they just recorded a special. But I'm excited about casting possibilities. Please not Anna Kendrick.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/abc-2017-18-fall-schedule-blackish-once-upon-a-time-shark-tank-1202428491/

Update... more info. 

"Fans of THE LITTLE MERMAID and Alan Menken and Howard Ashman's Oscar-winning songs will enjoy this never-before-seen live action/animation hybrid television experience featuring a soon-to-be announced roster of some of their favorite celebrity artists, whose performances will weave seamlessly throughout the original animated film."

Edited by aradia22
(edited)
29 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

WHAT!?! Will there be heelys? Kidding. I'd this not be live because I think they could film something much more interesting if they just recorded a special. But I'm excited about casting possibilities. Please not Anna Kendrick.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/abc-2017-18-fall-schedule-blackish-once-upon-a-time-shark-tank-1202428491/

Update... more info. 

"Fans of THE LITTLE MERMAID and Alan Menken and Howard Ashman's Oscar-winning songs will enjoy this never-before-seen live action/animation hybrid television experience featuring a soon-to-be announced roster of some of their favorite celebrity artists, whose performances will weave seamlessly throughout the original animated film."

The live performance of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl did really well last year (so well that they added extra dates - Sara Bareilles got good reviews as Ariel) and there is supposed to be a live action movie in the near future (Lin-Manuel Miranda was supposed to cowrite some new songs with Alan Menken, but it's all up in the air now). According to this article, those are two separate projects but they used a year old link to talk about the live action movie so who knows?

ETA: They got rid of the heelys for the new touring version of The Little Mermaid!

ETA: They got rid of the heelys for the new touring version of The Little Mermaid!

Does Ariel just stay seated a lot or do they have her walk around in a long dress and you use your imagination? I'm curious now.

Additional casting has been announced for the Hollywood Bowl's upcoming production of Mamma Mia!, Friday, July 28, at 8 PM, Saturday, July 29, at 8 PM and Sunday, July 30, at 7:30 PM. The new cast members are Corbin Bleu as Sky, Dove Cameron as Sophie, Lea DeLaria as Rosie, and Jennifer Nettles as Donna. The production also stars previously announced Jamie Camil as Sam.

Mamma Mia! will have three performances at the Hollywood Bowl this summer - Friday, July 28, at 8 PM, Saturday, July 29, at 8 PM and Sunday, July 30, at 7:30 PM, with single tickets on sale Saturday, May 6.

Speaking of the Hollywood Bowl... solid casting. I think seeing Mamma Mia once and loving it, and sitting through that horrendous movie is enough times for me. But Nettles and Bleu are solid casting. I don't really know the others. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Here-They-Go-Again-Corbin-Bleu-Dove-Cameron-and-Lea-DeLaria-Join-MAMMA-MIA-at-the-Hollywood-Bowl-20170515

15 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Does Ariel just stay seated a lot or do they have her walk around in a long dress and you use your imagination? I'm curious now.

Flotsam and Jetsam (Ursula's eels) are still on Heelys and Flounder uses a RipStik (a hybrid skateboard), but everyone else walks and dances. They had the cast do this undulating movement with their heads and torsos throughout the show to simulate underwater movement, and some of the characters (mostly Ariel) did some aerial work (haha, Ariel doing aerial work!). The mermaids had long dresses so you couldn't see their feet.

aGS8XuJ.jpg

8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Speaking of the Hollywood Bowl... solid casting. I think seeing Mamma Mia once and loving it, and sitting through that horrendous movie is enough times for me. But Nettles and Bleu are solid casting. I don't really know the others. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Here-They-Go-Again-Corbin-Bleu-Dove-Cameron-and-Lea-DeLaria-Join-MAMMA-MIA-at-the-Hollywood-Bowl-20170515

I agree that Jennifer Nettles is a good choice, but I'm biased because I used to be a big Sugarland fan. I'm neutral on Corbin Bleu.

I know Jamie Camil as Rogelio on Jane the Virgin but he has a background in musical theater. He played Billy Flynn in Chicago on Broadway last summer. Off Broadway, he's played Bernardo in West Side Story, Genie in Aladdin, and Captain Hook in Peter Pan.

Dove Cameron is a Disney kid so I have no idea how well she can sing (my ears still hurt when I remember Vanessa Hudgins singing in Rent at the Hollywood Bowl).

Lea DeLaria is probably best known as Boo on Orange Is the New Black,, but she has done several musical revues and musical comedies. Her Broadway credits are Hildy Esterhazy in On the Town and Eddie and Dr. Scott in the revival of RHPS. She has also released some jazz and standards albums.

To be honest, I don't love Mamma Mia so I'm not really motivated to go see this.

(edited)

Alan Menken discusses A Bronx Tale on Build:

If you don't want to watch the entire 30 minute interview above, this is a short clip where he mentions several of his upcoming projects including The Little Mermaid (both the ABC special and the live action movie with Lin-Manuel Miranda), a live action version of Aladdin, an Enchanted sequel, Little Shop of Horrors, and a new musical starring Josh Gad who will be playing the son of the most famous nanny):

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

That dress is... not cute.

I was not a fan of the original mermaid costumes they used on Broadway so I thought the new tour costumes are an improvement in that the actresses get corsets now instead of clamshell bras.

sierra.jpg

This spring, New York City Center's Tony-honored Encores! series, led by artistic director Jack Viertel and music director Rob Berman, will celebrate its 25th anniversary season, beginning with an original Encores! production Hey, Look Me Over!, a showcase of songs and scenes from beloved musicals that Encores! hasn't gotten to-yet. Grand Hotel, The Musical, which follows the comings and goings of the colorful patrons of post-war Berlin's most prestigious hotel, will follow in March. The season will close with Me and My Girl, the first Encores! show to have originated on London's West End rather than Broadway. A music- hall comedy that became the toast of England in 1937, it enjoyed a hugely successful revival on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1980s.

Yeessss.... Grand Hotel. http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Encores-Will-Bring-Back-ME-AND-MY-GIRL-GRAND-HOTEL-and-More-in-2018-Season-20170519

Looks like they're taking it easy this year (did they blow 2 seasons' budget on The New Yorkers and The Golden Apple? if so, it was worth it for the latter). One concert, plus two shows that postdate 1985 and can done with the standard rental materials. Well, the concert better be pretty damned amazing, if I'm supposed to swallow it as part of my subscription and not an extra.

• Love 1

Haha. Oh, Rinaldo. I love someone else complaining about the cost/return of tickets. I didn't see The Golden Apple (I know...) but yeah, they seemed to blow a lot of money on The New Yorkers just in the basics of hiring that big cast and outfitting them all in decent costumes. I can only imagine what The Golden Apple added to the tally. Still, I wasn't born in 1989, so I appreciate the announcement of Grand Hotel. I hope they round up an amazing cast to sing those songs... especially the Barrymore/Brent Barrett part. 

Well, that's the idea. Obviously they'll do that song as part of the event, whose theme is "shows we haven't gotten to yet but probably will someday." I'm sure Wildcat is somewhere on the list (with its delicious Robert Ginzler orchestrations, yum!). The main obstacles to scheduling it would be (1) despite the fun Cy Coleman songs, it isn't really a very good show (they don't all have to be masterpieces, but they should at least offer the possibility of giving audiences a reasonably good time); (2) who do you cast in the Lucille Ball role, the one thing everyone knows about it? At one point Reba McEntire would have been a likely choice, but that ship may have sailed.

My own list of shows they need to tackle includes Love Life, Goldilocks, Greenwillow, The Gay Life, Mack and Mabel, Best Foot Forward, High Spirits. (It used to be longer, but they've knocked off several of my Most Wanted in the last few seasons: Little Me, Superman, Paint Your Wagon, Cabin in the Sky, and of course The Golden Apple.)

SKINTIGHT

Roundabout reunites writer Joshua Harmon (Bad Jews, Significant Other) and director Daniel Aukin (Bad Jews) for Skintight, a scorching examination of beauty, youth and sex. Reeling from her ex-husband’s engagement to a much younger woman, Jodi Isaac (Idina Menzel) turns to her famous fashion-designer dad for support. Instead, she finds him wrapped up in his West Village townhouse with Trey. Who’s 20. And not necessarily gay. But probably an adult film star. At least, according to Jodi’s son. Who’s also 20. And definitely gay. Skintight assays the nature of love, the power of attraction, and the ways in which a superficial culture persists in teaching its children that all that matters is what’s on the inside.

http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/Skintight.aspx

One of the movie threads has a discussion. We could also take the conversation over to Movie Musicals. But anyway, I have no idea but it's possible the guys could write original material. It's not like they haven't written a musical before. Though that's like Jersey Boys with new music. But, why? The whole point of a jukebox musical is the built in fanbase for all the hit songs.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stephanie Styles sings "Use Your Imagination" by Cole Porter from the pre-Broadway run of Roman Holiday: The Musical. 

It's my favorite Porter song, because it sounds the least to me like Porter. (How do I say that without appearing to denigrate Porter's genius, which no one could deny?) If I were played the song for the first time and knew nothing of its origins, I would guess that it was by Arthur Schwartz. Which is why I like it better than any other Porter song.

• Love 1

I know it's a long shot, but Prizeo has a campaign to win a trip to this year's Tony Awards here! It ends at 1pm EDT today so don't procrastinate. What you could win:

• 2 orchestra seats to the Tony Awards on June 11
  • Attend the Tony Awards Dress Rehearsal
  • Walk the Tony Awards Red Carpet
  • 2 Tickets to the Tony Awards Gala
  • Roundtrip airfare for 2
  • 2 night hotel accommodations at Sofitel New York

There is also another campaign to see Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812. Donations support Josh Groban's Find Your Light Foundation which supports arts education. Enter to win here! The prize includes:

• 2 VIP Tickets to a performance during Josh’s final week in "Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812" on June 29
  • Meet Josh backstage at Broadway’s Imperial Theatre
  • Take a photo with Josh
  • Take home the signature spectacles worn by Josh in the show
  • Roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodations for two

Back from seeing Don Juan in Soho in London.  It's brilliant. Sharp, cruel, sexy, and very funny.  David Tennant is brilliant.  If you get the chance to see him onstage...do it!  The play wouldn't work in the States so I am glad that I spent the $ to hop across the pond.  And since I'm going to write it up for Theatre Journal I can write it off on my taxes :)

I saw it Saturday night and I am still processing my thoughts on theme, character, and intent which to me means the play did exactly what good theatre should.

Tangential theater news... I saw The Exception (movie) tonight. It's David Leveaux's (Nine, The Real Thing, Romeo and Juliet with Orlando Bloom, etc.) film directing debut and features Janet McTeer as well as Christopher Plummer, Lily James, and Jai Courtney. It's the kind of thing you catch on DVD or streaming and you think... oh, that was a good movie. Not an Oscar contender in my mind despite some fine performances. I've certainly seen movies with worse scripts but this one is mostly serviceable in that it gets out of the way of the actors, drops exposition when it needs to, and is sometimes pushed aside in favor of letting the actors communicate through, well, their acting. The direction was mostly fine. A few shots that felt a little off and some choices to pull out and switch perspective that I wasn't in love with but for a 33 day shooting schedule on an indie movie, forgivable. It mostly has the polished look of a period piece. Not that super warm, golden romantic lighting but a sort of soft look. Everyone gives good performances. Christopher Plummer is a stand out, naturally. Janet McTeer would be one but her character doesn't have much to do. Jai and Lily do well with what they're given but there are leaps taken with their romance that don't quite work though it all comes together in the end. I didn't find it that emotionally affecting though I do appreciate little touches and I'm very interested to see what films Leveaux will go on to direct. 

The critically acclaimed musical THE BAND'S VISIT will arrive on Broadway in Fall 2017 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre (243 West 47th Street). THE BAND'S VISIT will begin performances on Saturday, October 7, 2017, and officially open on Thursday, November 9, 2017. Tickets are now on sale.

Hooray! I'm not sure it's a high priority for me to see this again unless they've made significant changes. But it was a very enjoyable night at the theater and hopefully this means an album. The music was generally good and there were a lot of laughs. I'd urge you to see it if you want a good time at the theater with a simpler story. It doesn't have the kind of dramatics that leave you in tears but I don't think every musical should.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Encore-Coming-Soon-THE-BANDS-VISIT-Will-Open-on-Broadway-This-Fall-20170524

The much-buzzed about stage adaptation of Tootsie has its eyes on a Broadway bow. With a reading slated for June 8, Tony nominee Scott Ellis is set to direct the musical comedy based on the beloved 1982 film. Fresh off of the news that The Band's Visit will open on Broadway this fall, busy composer-lyricist David Yazbek has also written the score for Tootsie. Robert Horn, who wrote 13 with Jason Robert Brown, penned the book.

No casting has been confirmed, but Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner Santino Fontana is rumored for the lead role of Michael Dorsey (created on-screen by Dustin Hoffman).

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188712/tootsie-has-its-eyes-on-broadway-santino-fontana-tapped-for-lead/

Saw The Little Foxes tonight with Laura Linney as Regina and Cynthia Nixon as Birdie. OH MY GOD. SO GOOD. I don't think I loved the movie. I can't remember if I posted about it back on TWoP or here but I remember enjoying it but feeling somewhat indifferent to it. Tonight, I feel like I got an experience where the entire text was illuminated. I got the feminist reading of Regina. I understood what was happening with her brothers and the way they had ravaged the town. I got the racial undercurrent. And I got the modern... or at least the current day application of the message. Also, the costumes were gorgeous. It doesn't really need to be said but the performances were fantastic. Linney KILLED in this role. Her Regina was everything. I'm too tired to go into it now. Cynthia was great as Birdie, though I didn't see it as the revelatory performance that others did. I think it was very strong but not this... extraness. Richard Thomas has some very nice moments in the more dramatic scenes. His character is a little underdeveloped, showing up late, but I think you can fill in some of the blanks because of his presence and persona. He just has a kind face and kind eyes. I wished I were a little closer for his scenes in particular but I loved my seat in the mezz. Perfect unobstructed view and no way for a tall person to sit in front of me, even though I missed faces sometimes when someone was giving a full profile turn. (Side note: The Friedman has tight seats. If you need legroom, sit on the aisle.) Michael McKean was solid but I think he was mostly getting out of the way of the other actors, though he did have a few moments of his own. Like that speech about there being Hubbards all over and that their time would eventually come. There were smaller moments though and he didn't pull focus. Oscar, Leo, and Alexandra were a little dull. Not horrible. Just not as strong. I did think Francesca should have brought a little more in the final scenes which she really could have sold more. That's your moment. Take it. Instead, she really lets Linney run off with the play. Also, when she turned away I would imagine Laura Osnes or Lauren Worsham in that role. Caroline Stefanie Clay and Charles Turner were good as well though his part was pretty small. I did find her behavior a little anachronistic. It's not that I assume every black servant character, even at that time, and even in the South, would be meek and cowed. But she was extra sassy. Like, she could have walked next door and played Becky in Waitress. David Alford was fine in a small role. It was odd to see him outside of Nashville. All in all, a wonderful night at the theatre. The 3 hours flew by. It was completely engaging and dramatic and funny and smart. Even though I knew the gist of the ending, I found myself clenching my hands a little towards the end. 

• Love 2

Love it. Sure there are some silly jokes... Saturday in the Park with Eileen but also some really sharp humor and #truth.

"War Paint is about Patti Lupone. And also Christine Ebersole. But mostly Patti Lupone."

"Holiday Inn is about how Irving Berlin came back from the dead to write you a new musical."

"Come From Away is about 9/11. So..."

"A Bronx Tale the Musical is about Jersey Boys."

Getting excited for my annual trip to NYC which begins tomorrow on Memorial Day to see theatre thanks to Musical Theatre West.  It's the original Los Angeles Civic Light Opera and has been doing their own musical productions for 64 years in Southern California operating at the Richard Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts located at Cal State University in Long Beach, CA.  

We'll be seeing 6 musicals beginning on Tuesday night with Come From Away which I was lucky to see the 2nd ever performance at the La Jolla Playhouse on May 31, 2015.  I'm looking forward to seeing it again and there will be a talk back with the cast after the show. 

Wednesday will be a 2 show day seeing the matinee of Sunset Blvd with Glenn Close and in the evening the revival of Miss Saigon.  I saw both of these shows in their original incarnations: Sunset Blvd at the old Shubert Theatre in Los Angeles on December 18, 1993, before it went to Broadway and Miss Saigon at the Ahmanson where it began its first tour.  I also saw this production of Miss Saigon from London on screen last Fall and am looking forward to seeing the spectacle which was not visible on film due to the close ups.

Friday night, June 2nd will be a dream come true to see Bette Midler live in Hello Dolly.

Saturday will be another two show day with War Paint in the afternoon and Anastasia in the evening with a talk back headed by Derek Klana, an alumni of Musical Theatre West after the performance.

• Love 1