Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Lady Penelope

Bort
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

There wasn't very much damage for someone shot in the face.

How did Martha Kane injure her leg?

Do you mean Mrs. Darkness? I thought Alfred got her in the chest. It was kind of a big exit wound going on with her back.

I have no idea how Martha cut her leg, that seemed to show up out of nowhere. But boy, does she want a piece of Alfred.

10 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I have no idea how Martha cut her leg, that seemed to show up out of nowhere. But boy, does she want a piece of Alfred.

When they climbed over the brick wall while cutting through yards. There were old windows or window panes leaning against the wall. Martha put her foot through one while getting footing to climb. 

Pretty bummed about Esme. Wonder if her father is a part of The Ravens? He may be pissed. 

Edited by scottiB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I didn’t find Esme particularly interesting, so I wasn’t all that dismayed about her demise. In fact, I think my reaction was, “Martha, good news, he’s single!”

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

There wasn't very much damage for someone shot in the face.

How did Martha Kane injure her leg?

OK, I watched those scenes again and noticed the hole in the Tea Shop Lady's shoulder and the place where Martha Kane's leg was cut. Martha ran for quite a long distance without any indication that she had been injured (either blood or limping). Then suddenly she was out of commission.

Every time someone attacks Alfred from behind, they get him. Even when he is aware there are enemies behind him.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

OK, I watched those scenes again and noticed the hole in the Tea Shop Lady's shoulder and the place where Martha Kane's leg was cut. Martha ran for quite a long distance without any indication that she had been injured (either blood or limping). Then suddenly she was out of commission.

Martha not being affected by her injured leg until later can be chalked up to adrenaline. I just couldn't remember where Martha could have possibly cut her leg until @scottiB pointed out all the junk that was in that yard they were cutting through.

• Love 2

Well, that was a direction I wasn't expecting the show to take, and I don't mean the Germans winning WW2. It's going to be awkward around old Stately Wayne Manor in the future. 

I'm surprised Esme got it so soon. I was sure she would have at least one more meeting with Sykes. I wonder who did her in, the Ravens, the No-Names, or the British governement? They're all sadistic murders. My money's on that police inspector that was threatening Alfred. 

• Love 3

Yeah, this episode pretty much screamed "The Avengers" at the top of it's lungs. Mysterious goings on in a creepy English village? Check. Strange off beat characters that are really the leader of the evil secret society? Double-check. I was a bit surprised that Esme died so soon but it's not totally unexpected either. She was pretty much a goner the moment she was introduced.  I wasn't really expecting the Martha/Alfred flirtation either but it does make things rather interesting, given what we know about the future.

That's assuming we ever saw "Gotham" or a Batman movie :)

• Love 1

Poor Esme. I knew she was doomed, but I was hoping she would at least get to last a little bit longer before she had to die to lead to more angst for Alfred and get him towards Gotham. And right after he made out with Martha, awkward!

Creepy little British town? Maypole? Costumes? So when does the Wickerman get wheeled out? 

Oh yeah, Gotham is just about to turn around Thomas. Reach for the stars there, eventually your son in a bat costume is gonna be on it.

• Love 2
On 8/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, Philbert said:

Yeah, this episode pretty much screamed "The Avengers" at the top of it's lungs. Mysterious goings on in a creepy English village? Check.

It did. This was so tipping the hat to the Emma Peel introduction episode, The Town of No Return (the episode which was filmed twice, first with Elizabeth Shepherd as Emma Peel, then re-shot with Diana Rigg when Shepherd was fired).

So far I am loving Pennyworth! There are a few touches I'd do a bit differently, but overall it's freaking fantastic. Poor Esme. She was a bit of a shrinking violet sometimes, but I liked her and I thought she humanized Alfie. It will be interesting to see what he becomes like now she's gone. I hope not having her to play off of doesn't diminish things.